8 replies to this topic

#1 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 05:58 AM

What's your thoughts on a TC encore? I shot one that my buddy has in 300 win mag and really liked it and now I'm thinking of getting one in .243 and then building up a collection of barrels. Thanks, Ron

#2 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 17 December 2010 - 06:52 AM

As long as you liked it, and it was accurate enough to your liking, then they would probably work fine for you. Accuracy, or any potential lack of, plus no magazine / follow up shots (for a "rifle", not a handgun) would be a major drawback for me. But that is just me, & not all of us like the same thing or have the same requirements. Lots of folks do love the TC's. Good Luck in your decissionFrank

#3 tawnoper

tawnoper

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,800 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 07:47 AM

I like em.I have a Contender. It's now setup as a .223 handgun. Fun off bags shooting ground squirrels and they are usually pretty damn accurate. I used to own a nice Bullberry carbine barrel in 6mmTCU for it. Sold it awhile back, but setup as a carbine it was nice for packing around here after local deer (also good on coyotes). Bullberry makes lots of nice stuff for em.
ProStaff - ProStaff - Field Staff - I'm very important!

#4 tinhunter

tinhunter

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • Interests:hunting, fishing, camping, riding my atv. most things that involve the outdoors.

Posted 17 December 2010 - 11:00 AM

I have one as a handgun in .243 win. I like them for their versatility and with a little bit of practice you can shoot and reload for a second shot rather quickly. If you do decide to get an encore make sure that when you buy the frame you get it as a handgun. That way you can legally make it a rifle, shotgun, muzzle loader, and handgun; if you get it as a rifle first the frame is only legal to be a rifle, shotgun or muzzle loader.

#5 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

Tikka Shooter, and a bad shot at that.

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,942 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 02:16 PM

I chose a Contender instead of an Encore, because I already have a Big bore rifle. The ease of changing barrels and calibers is very nice. The 14" scoped bull barrel in .223 is alot of fun. "dont forget your ear plugs" I have Pistol barrels and a carbine barrel, and being able to switch in just a couple of minutes is very cool. If you want the bigger calibers go with an Encore, if not get a Contender. Make sure that with either that its registersd as a Pistol. You dont want the Feds to hit you with a SBR offense.
“Fathom the hypocrisy of a government that require every citizen to prove they are insured... but not everyone must prove they are a citizen.”

#6 tinhunter

tinhunter

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • Interests:hunting, fishing, camping, riding my atv. most things that involve the outdoors.

Posted 17 December 2010 - 02:47 PM

It used to be that you had to choose a Contender to get the small calibers like rimfires in a T/C, but they now make rimfire barrels all the way through large game calibers in the Encore.

#7 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,204 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 17 December 2010 - 04:12 PM

I have several Contender frames and an assortment of barrels. They are very accurate guns though loading quickly can be a problem especially off of a shooting bench or sitting down with a rifle barrel setup. I like them configured as pistols and have a couple of Bullberry barrels like tawnoper mentioned above. The problem with a host of barrels is it takes a host of scopes too. For all around shooting I still prefer a bolt gun over anything else including TC's or semi autos of which I have and assortment of each.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#8 Divernhunter

Divernhunter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,230 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fun target shooting, reloading, collecting firearms. Also enjoy scuba diving and welding. Shoot 22RF to 50bmg.

Posted 17 December 2010 - 07:45 PM

I have an Encore in a pistol set-up. I have 223/257roberts/308/454casull barrels. I plan to get more such as 6X5X55/7mm-08/50s&w/204ruger etc. Mine shoots quite well. I got the Encore because it will handle everything from small to large FACTORY rounds better than the other one. I will leave it as a pistol as I already have many rifles to use. I have a wrist band shellholder which holds 2 rounds and helps when shooting in the field. If you miss 3 times it is time to stop and figure out what you are doing wrong usually.

#9 'Ike'

'Ike'

Predator

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts
  • Interests:Bowhunting, Upland birds with my Labs and Shooting...

Posted 06 November 2011 - 07:46 PM

Love my Encore rifle...I've got one in .223 then bought a 17 HMR and .06 barrel! Shoots so well ended up buying another receiver so that I didn't have to break it down each time I wanted to change it out. The single shot will make you a better shooter! LoL... :doh[1]:
17HMR, .22Cal, 22WMR & .223 - Don't run, it only excites me... :smiley-outta-here:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users