• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 CHIN SQUIRREL

CHIN SQUIRREL

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Interests:Coyote hunting, trout fishing, geocaching, and exploring.

Posted 14 December 2010 - 05:32 PM

I'd like to get topographic maps for geocaching in the Griffith Park and the Verdugo Mountain areas. I'd like to find a store near Glendale, California where I can buy them. If any of you know of a place where I can pick them up, that would be really nice if you could give me their contact information (address and phone number).
I'd rather be fishing with my son.

#2 GSH

GSH

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, (deer, elk, turkey, upland bird) wanting to get into predator hunting, fishing, mules and packing, fly rc airplanes, ride bicycle, both road and mtb. I also, along with my wife , build western cowboy spurs.

Posted 16 February 2011 - 10:12 AM

Go online to Tom Harrison Maps, he has a lot of the maps and they are made o waterproof and tear resistant Plastic. The ones that I have purchased are great.Gary (GSH)

#3 Baja_Traveler

Baja_Traveler

Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 12:27 PM

REI sells topo maps. Nearest one to Glendale is in Pomona...

If you can get arrested for hunting or fishing without a license, but not for being in the country illegally,… you might live in a country founded by geniuses but run by idiots.

#4 CHIN SQUIRREL

CHIN SQUIRREL

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 05:49 PM

Thanks guys, that was a big help. Do you know if they have the 1 Kilometer grid lines already on them? Do they have the blue tick marks along the edges of the map?

#5 GSH

GSH

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, (deer, elk, turkey, upland bird) wanting to get into predator hunting, fishing, mules and packing, fly rc airplanes, ride bicycle, both road and mtb. I also, along with my wife , build western cowboy spurs.

Posted 17 February 2011 - 08:04 AM

The maps from Tom Harrison has grid lines and longitude and latitude markings.

#6 MikeNC

MikeNC

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 01:53 PM

I think you will be needing the 1:24,000 series of maps. The scale allows you to easily navigate by visually reading the map contours and 'seeing' these contours or land features on the ground as well. Orienteering with map and compass is a great past time and your use of geocaching will even add to the fun. Have fun!

#7 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,968 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 17 February 2011 - 02:19 PM

I run the GARMIN TOPO U.S. 24K maps on my GPSMAP 62s. Great detail and the ease of saving and storing waypoints along with the ease of adding information make them really nice. I use it when marking finds with my metal detecting. It's so much easier than how I did it in the old days.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#8 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 02:36 PM

There is a REI in Santa Monica and another I believe in San Gabriel. I usually get my maps online. Good luck.

#9 CHIN SQUIRREL

CHIN SQUIRREL

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 07:04 PM

MikeNC that's exactly what I was after. I finally ended up getting one from some place online (Mapsport, P.O. Box 131705 The Woodlands, TX. 77393). It ended up being an older version. The USGS doesn't update their maps very often, but it's good enough for government work, so it will do just fine for what I wanted it for. Also, the one that I ended up getting didn't have the 1K meter grid lines on it. It had the blue tick marks all around the edges of the map, so I just took it to the office store and borrowed a straight edge and connected the tick marks to create my own grid lines. Now it works just fine for what I wanted it for. The map cost $6.95 out the door and came folded up pretty nicely. I'm wanting to teach my girlfriend's kids not only how to navigate with the GPS, but also with a map and a compass. Not too many people use the old methods any more, as modern technology has improved by leaps and bounds lately. You can never go wrong with the old map and compass. Thanks again for all of your help guys.

#10 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,758 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 17 February 2011 - 07:25 PM

And the dang batteries don't go dead in the map and compass!
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#11 GSH

GSH

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 09:42 AM

I think it's beginning to sound like I have stock options in his map company, but Tom Harrison maps have grid lines, trails marked with mileage marked between trail junctions, contour lines, and campgrounds, pack stations, picnics areas, campground-no water.

#12 CHIN SQUIRREL

CHIN SQUIRREL

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 02:39 PM

Braz: That's funny, but oh so true! GSH: I like the way those maps sound with all of the features and all. Do you know if they are from recent data/pictures?I was told about another spot to get maps at around here:Geographia Map & Travel Bookstore4000 W. Riverside DriveBurbank, Ca.(818) 848-1414

#13 MikeNC

MikeNC

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 04:51 PM

I'm wanting to teach my girlfriend's kids not only how to navigate with the GPS, but also with a map and a compass. Not too many people use the old methods any more, as modern technology has improved by leaps and bounds lately. You can never go wrong with the old map and compass. Thanks again for all of your help guys.

Bingo :rolleyes: My career was being a Soldier. That is where I was introduced to map and compass and land navigation. That led to a fascination with orienteering for many years. The accuracy and fun of orienteering with a 1:24K and Silva compass became one of my favorite past times in Kentucky and Tennesse while stationed at Ft. Campbell. You can become VERY good at seeing the contours on a map and seeing the exact same thing on the ground. It gets to the point that it does not matter which one your looking at...you see the exact same thing. I have been on some extensive solo courses in the Army where I traversed several hundreds of miles in a months time. Awesome training! Have fun with it teaching them youngins'

#14 sportyg

sportyg

Sportyg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts
  • Interests:Camping, Fishing, hunting, Football, playing backgammon,& music

Founder: Hunters Helping Hunters
    www.huntershelpinghuntersUSA.org
    LM:NAHC

Posted 19 February 2011 - 07:59 PM

a new online place to buy maps: www.papermapsonline.com they sell just about evey type of map out there. they also carry the 1" grid = 1 mile type of maps for easy reading..
Sportyg;Founder:HHHwww.hhh-usa.orgLM:NAHCMbr:TRCP

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users