#1 BPS

BPS

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts
  • Interests:Predator Calling, Squirrel Shooting, Reloading

Posted 11 December 2010 - 07:08 PM

I'm looking at getting a Garmin Rino mainly because some of my hunting partners have them & then we can all use the walkie talkie feature.My main question is, should I go for the Rino 130 w/ 24 MB fixed memory or should I go for the bigger Rino 520 or 530 that take the SD Card so I can load up on map software???Do I really need more space than 24 MB on a GPS for Topo & BLM maps for Nevada & California???Thanks Lee

#2 pete

pete

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Hiking, Fishing, Construction, Water Polo, Swimming, Boat Building, Shooting.

Posted 11 December 2010 - 09:33 PM

If its not too expensive I would go with the bigger one. Better to have more memory than not enough.In the future you might want to save more places and more maps to it, so better to be able to have that extra memoryto fall back on.

#3 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 12:59 AM

Get the bigger one. I have the 530 and love it! I have the whole US map 100k:1 and then I have the west coast 20k:1 and that takes up just under 8 gigs but I don't have to worry about loading up maps for each different area I hunt because I bought an 8 gig chip. Don't limit yourself is the way I feel but good luck with your choice.

#4 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,955 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 12 December 2010 - 08:47 AM

I have the Garmin 62s it's not the Rhino series but it allows me to use 4GB cards in it to store additional maps which is a great deal. I always go bigger when it comes to memory.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#5 CHIN SQUIRREL

CHIN SQUIRREL

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Interests:Coyote hunting, trout fishing, geocaching, and exploring.

Posted 14 December 2010 - 05:45 PM

I've got the 120 model. It doesn't take memory chips, but it does have a limited internal memory. I don't know how much memory, though. I've dowloaded some street maps into the unit, but have misplaced the disk that the maps came from. I've still got it, I just don't know where it is. Anyhow, the GPS is a great unit and when I'm out in the sticks I just use a regular old topographic map and plot my coordinates with a protractor. Those military types will know what I'm talking about. In my opinion, Garmin makes a great product. I've never had any problems with my unit.
I'd rather be fishing with my son.

#6 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,955 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 14 December 2010 - 05:50 PM

Rino 120 can save up to 500 of your favorite places in memory as waypoints so you can visit them later. The 120 also has a built-in Americas highway basemap and 8 MB of internal memory so you can load additional detailed maps from optional MapSource® products.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#7 CHIN SQUIRREL

CHIN SQUIRREL

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Interests:Coyote hunting, trout fishing, geocaching, and exploring.

Posted 14 December 2010 - 07:58 PM

Yeah, that's the company that I got the street maps from.
I'd rather be fishing with my son.

#8 BPS

BPS

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 08:47 PM

The main reason for wanting a GPS with the SD Card Slot is the ability to add more map software.In particular software showing BLM Land, 99.9% of all the BLM land shown, on my BLM & Forestry maps are no longer marked in the field, Thanks in part to greedy land owners, who consider that land theres. Also I'm looking at NIB Rino 530's on Ebay for $365 delivered as opposed to $500 + shipping at the big stores.Thanks, Lee

#9 antefx

antefx

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Interests:hunting--mostly birds just startin with the four legged animals<br />archery--got my first bow just playing around (one kill so far)<br />outdoors in general

Posted 16 February 2011 - 07:15 AM

Just curious, is anyone using a software showing blm land? If so which one? thanks...oh and I have the 530, no issues at all (except I'd like another mapping software on board showing boundaries, etc)

#10 BPS

BPS

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 07:32 AM

This is what I've found so far BLM MAP DATAI havent bought it yet but it does look pretty good at first glance.I'm sure theres others out there.Lee

#11 antefx

antefx

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Interests:hunting--mostly birds just startin with the four legged animals<br />archery--got my first bow just playing around (one kill so far)<br />outdoors in general

Posted 16 February 2011 - 07:47 AM

yeah, that's the one id found as well. Was hoping maybe someone has used it or knows a little more about it. For instance, would it take the place of the northwest garmin topo or is it in addition to? Need to spend a lot more time with the unit, i know. I've pretty much just used it for trekking in and out, and saving coordinates for search when get back home. Any info would be appreciated

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users