Photo

GRAPHIC! Benjamin .22 Cal Discovery - Takes A Couple Of Abert's Tree Squirrels.

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 VarmintAir

VarmintAir

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 08:06 AM

I had a chance to hunt my Discovery today. Great little rifle, and a ton of fun to hunt with. Anyone interested in the whole story can view it here, http://varmintair.ty...quirrels-1.htmlPosted Image

#2 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,187 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, PCP Airguns, Flying (home builts)

Posted 10 December 2010 - 08:13 AM

Beautiful web site and articles. You really should publish everything as a book.

#3 MikeNC

MikeNC

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 08:43 AM

Nice Cliff and your wisdom of not worrying about "Only" having 15 shots for a day of hunting is right on the money. I have heard some ridiculous arguments on that same subject. Good shooting :rolleyes:

#4 VarmintAir

VarmintAir

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 09:14 AM

Beautiful web site and articles. You really should publish everything as a book.

Thanks, glad you like the site. It's a fun project, and I enjoy working on it.

#5 VarmintAir

VarmintAir

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 09:33 AM

Nice Cliff and your wisdom of not worrying about "Only" having 15 shots for a day of hunting is right on the money. I have heard some ridiculous arguments on that same subject. Good shooting :rolleyes:

Thanks Mike. Lots of nonsense put out about airguns, and what it takes to have an accurate one. One of my favorites is, you cannot have low extreme spreads without a bottle gun that gets 80/100 shots on a fill, with a large sweet spot. My Disco gives me an extreme spread of only 5 fps. I have the gun set to give me 15 shots. So much for that theory. The thing I am most interested in is, how close is the next shot in velocity, to the last shot fired. I have guns where the extreme spread across the string is 18/20 fps, but the shot to shot consistency is only a few feet per second or less. For example, on my .25 Marauder. I don't care that the 16th shot is 18 fps slower than the third shot, because I don't fire the 16th shot after the third shot, I fire the fourth shot, and there is only a 3fps difference between it and the third shot. When I get toward the end of the string, the same small difference from shot to shot is still in play. The 16th shot is only 5 fps slower than the 15th shot was. It makes for a very accurate hunting rifle.

#6 MikeNC

MikeNC

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 10:07 AM

It makes for a very accurate hunting rifle.

And that's the bottom line of hunting. Plus the fact I doubt you will ever get into a fire fight with them tassle eared varmints :rolleyes:

#7 Bennie

Bennie

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,912 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Shooting.

Posted 10 December 2010 - 03:14 PM

Great looking Squirrels. Nice Shooting!

#8 THE KNOT

THE KNOT

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 04:38 PM

very nice picture that stock is beautiful makes that disco look sweet handsome squirrels also

#9 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,590 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 10 December 2010 - 08:22 PM

Beautiful animals along with a great story and pics.

#10 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,806 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 11 December 2010 - 02:28 AM

Realy cool .

#11 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,396 posts
  • Interests:Bass fishing,Kayaking,Airgun hunting

Posted 11 December 2010 - 07:35 AM

Thanks Mike. Lots of nonsense put out about airguns, and what it takes to have an accurate one. One of my favorites is, you cannot have low extreme spreads without a bottle gun that gets 80/100 shots on a fill, with a large sweet spot. My Disco gives me an extreme spread of only 5 fps. I have the gun set to give me 15 shots. So much for that theory. The thing I am most interested in is, how close is the next shot in velocity, to the last shot fired. I have guns where the extreme spread across the string is 18/20 fps, but the shot to shot consistency is only a few feet per second or less. For example, on my .25 Marauder. I don't care that the 16th shot is 18 fps slower than the third shot, because I don't fire the 16th shot after the third shot, I fire the fourth shot, and there is only a 3fps difference between it and the third shot. When I get toward the end of the string, the same small difference from shot to shot is still in play. The 16th shot is only 5 fps slower than the 15th shot was. It makes for a very accurate hunting rifle.

SD is a good indication...because it gives you deviation from the 'mean'...The standard deviation is a number that describes uniformity. The smaller the number, the more uniform velocity.

#12 VarmintAir

VarmintAir

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 08:23 AM

very nice picture that stock is beautiful makes that disco look sweet handsome squirrels also

Love the stock. I was fortunate to get it before the guys shoddy business practices caught up with him and me.

#13 VarmintAir

VarmintAir

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 08:26 AM

Beautiful animals along with a great story and pics.

Thanks John. It was great to get out for a few hours. Seems like every time I've tried to go out this Fall, something comes up and gets in the way. Probably shouldn't say this out loud, but I'm hoping to get out again next Tuesday. Supposed to be 59 degrees and clear. Snow by Friday.

#14 VarmintAir

VarmintAir

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 08:29 AM

SD is a good indication...because it gives you deviation from the 'mean'...The standard deviation is a number that describes uniformity. The smaller the number, the more uniform velocity.

My chrono always gives me the SD, but I prefer to look at the overall string, and see the individual sequential shot to shot consistency.

#15 VarmintAir

VarmintAir

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 09:39 AM

And that's the bottom line of hunting. Plus the fact I doubt you will ever get into a fire fight with them tassle eared varmints :good:

"Fire fight", heck some days, I can't even get them to come out and play a quick game of pellet trap. :good:

#16 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,590 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 11 December 2010 - 09:43 AM

:good: Pellet trap! I love it. :good:

#17 MikeNC

MikeNC

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 04:13 PM

"Fire fight", heck some days, I can't even get them to come out and play a quick game of pellet trap. :smiley_kewlpics:

:lol: :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users