23 replies to this topic

#1 SFSMedic

SFSMedic

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 09:57 AM

So I did a bunch of google searching and reading the regs and couldnt find the answer to this. However someone told me that bolt guns cant have magazines in CA and semi-auto rifles like an AR are illegal for hunting use in CA. Is this true? I was going to take the hunter safety course tomorrow however an IDPA match popped up so I am gonna have to wait another couple weeks.

#2 .22guy

.22guy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 10:01 AM

Both those statements are false. The bolt gun with magazine one is especially silly.As far as semi-autos go, they are legal to use. However, I think a few hunters have been harrassed by silly DFG agents for carrying AR's for hunting.

#3 SFSMedic

SFSMedic

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 10:08 AM

I was getting ready to build a 6.8 spc II upper as a deer rifle because of how nice of a rifle you can make accuracy wise for so much less money and a friend at work made those statements above which caused me to put on the brakes!

#4 4RHUNTS

4RHUNTS

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts
  • Interests:Hunting for varmints, two and four legged varieties, deer, pigs, birds, reloading, and fishing.

Posted 03 December 2010 - 10:10 AM

No, it is not true. Magazine fed bolt guns and AR style rifles are legal to hunt with.

#5 winxp_man

winxp_man

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 10:45 AM

Looky my 6.8 thread :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow: I hunted with my old 6.8 all hunting season and had no trouble from anyone. Now I get to use my new 6.8 that I have in the 6.8 thread. Mine is a WOA upper with a match grade barrel installed. As for laws. I think you can't have a magazine bigger than 5 rounds during deer season and you can have a 10 for varmints, and predator, or pig hunting.
Shoot to Kill not to wound !

#6 SFSMedic

SFSMedic

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 10:54 AM

Looky my 6.8 thread :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow: As for laws. I think you can't have a magazine bigger than 5 rounds during deer season and you can have a 10 for varmints, and predator, or pig hunting.

That makes sense. Ill do more research on that.I am planning on starting with a Tactical Machining upper, a barrel from either ARP or Bison (1:11 with 4 rifling grooves) with a target crown.

#7 Haywood

Haywood

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 11:02 AM

The world is full of people who like to talk out of their a$$es, best bet is this place for info, you should've seen the comments directed to the pictures of my dads new Thompson. Everything from that drum is illegal, to calling it an AK lol. And by the way that Thompson is pretty bad ass even though the Ca. compliant poop is a pain.
Ne Desit Virtus

#8 DirtyDave

DirtyDave

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,168 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 11:51 AM

If the gun is legal to own in Ca, then you can hunt with it.The only capacity restrictions are for shotguns (3rds)
Hic Ego Statio

#9 .22guy

.22guy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 01:12 PM

As for laws. I think you can't have a magazine bigger than 5 rounds during deer season and you can have a 10 for varmints, and predator, or pig hunting.

There are no magazine size restrictions during hunting. You could slap a legally-owned 30 rounder into your featureless build and go hunting.I probably wouldn't do it because I wouldn't want a misinformed LEO or game warden to take them.

#10 .22guy

.22guy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 01:14 PM

If the gun is legal to own in Ca, then you can hunt with it.The only capacity restrictions are for shotguns (3rds)

That is mostly true, but I don't think you can hunt with a registred assault weapon, if you are lucky enough to have one.

#11 SFSMedic

SFSMedic

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 01:37 PM

Ordered my upper just now from Tactical Machining. Will order my barrel as money allows, which means after Christmas is over.

#12 DirtyDave

DirtyDave

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,168 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 05:10 PM

I think you can't have a magazine bigger than 5 rounds during deer season and you can have a 10 for varmints, and predator, or pig hunting.

100% WRONGDont post what you THINK might be true. There are already enough mis-informed hunters or wannabe hunters out there
Hic Ego Statio

#13 mtn dog

mtn dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting.
    Other interests:
    My family, writing, photography, 2nd Amendment.
    Looking forward to meeting as many of you as possible.

Posted 03 December 2010 - 05:38 PM

100% WRONGDont post what you THINK might be true. There are already enough mis-informed hunters or wannabe hunters out there

:smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:
"If we make enough laws, we can all be criminals."

#14 KClark

KClark

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Interests:Family, hunting, shooting, metal detecting for gold rush relics, fishing, camping.

Posted 03 December 2010 - 07:09 PM

So far as I know some of the restrictions on rifles are:No firearm mounted night vision.No full auto.Must be centerfire for big game.

That is mostly true, but I don't think you can hunt with a registred assault weapon, if you are lucky enough to have one.

Would like to hear more on this and registered .50 BMG from someone who knows for sure.Maybe we should start a sticky?
It Doesn't Matter What You Miss Them With

#15 nitis

nitis

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 09:36 PM

I dont think you can hunt big game with more than a certain number of rounds in your magazine and I want to say that is 5 but I could be wrong.

#16 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 03 December 2010 - 10:21 PM

I dont think you can hunt big game with more than a certain number of rounds in your magazine and I want to say that is 5 but I could be wrong.

And you would be. Even some of your bolt actions will hold five in mag and 1 in chamber. Nothing illegal about that at all. Some of the old lever actions will hold over 10 rounds, and they are perfectly legal.

#17 DirtyDave

DirtyDave

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,168 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 11:01 PM

Could be wrong? Your are Completely wrong!Read some of the other responses to the OP's question before you post and you could learn too
Hic Ego Statio

#18 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 03 December 2010 - 11:19 PM

Sorry it's so long, but here it is. NOTHING in there about capacities in rifles. "Know before you say yes or no" should be a new motto around here at times. Chapter 3. Big Gameß353. Methods Authorized for Taking Big Game.(a) Except for the provisions of subsections 353 b through h, Title 14, CCR, big game (as defined by Section 350, Title 14, CCR) may only be taken by rifles using centerfire cartridges with softnose or expanding projectiles; bow and arrow (see Section 354, Title 14, CCR, for archery equipment regulations); or wheellock, matchlock, flintlock or percussion type, including "in-line" muzzleloading rifles using black powder or equivalent black powder substitute, including pellets, with a single projectile loaded from the muzzle and at least .40 caliber in designation. For purposes of Section 353, a "projectile" is defined as any bullet, ball, sabot, slug, buckshot or other device which is expelled from a firearm through a barrel by force. b Shotguns capable of holding not more than three shells firing single slugs may be used for the taking of deer, bear and wild pigs. In areas where the discharge of rifles or shotguns with slugs is prohibited by county ordinance, shotguns capable of holding not more than three shells firing size 0 or 00 buckshot may be used for the taking of deer only.© Pistols and revolvers using centerfire cartridges with softnose or expanding projectiles may be used to take deer, bear, and wild pigs.(d) Pistols and revolvers with minimum barrel lengths of 4 inches, using centerfire cartridges with softnose or expanding projectiles may be used to take elk and bighorn sheep.(e) Except as provided in subsection 354(j), crossbows may be used to take deer and wild pigs only during the regular seasons.(f) Under the provisions of a muzzleloading rifle only tag, hunters may only possess muzzleloading rifles as described in subsection 353(a) equipped with open or "peep" type sights only except as describled in subsection 353(k).(g) Under the provisions of a muzzleloading rifle/archery tag, hunters may only possess muzzleloading rifles with sights as described in subsection 353(f); archery equipment as described in Section 354; or both. For purposes of this subsection, archery equipment does not include crossbows, except as provided in subsection 354(j).(h) Methods of take within the California condor range. Except as otherwise provided, it is unlawful to use or possess projectiles containing more than one percent lead by weight while taking or attempting to take any big game (as defined in Section 350, Title 14, CCR) in those areas described in Section 3004.5, Fish and Game Code.(1) Except as otherwise provided, it is unlawful to possess any projectile containing lead in excess of the amount permitted in subsection 353(h) and a firearm capable of firing the projectile while taking or attempting to take any big game within the area described in subsection 353(h). The possession of a projectile containing lead in excess of the amount allowed in subsection 353(h) without possessing a firearm capable of firing the projectile is not a violation of this section. (i) Except as otherwise provided, while taking or attempting to take big game under the provisions of Section 353 or Section 354, Title 14, CCR, it is unlawful to use any device or devices which: 1) throw, cast or project an artificial light or electronically alter or intensify a light source for the purpose of visibly enhancing an animal; or 2) throw, cast or project an artificial light or electronically alter or intensify a light source for the purpose of providing a visible point of aim directly on an animal. Devices commonly referred to as "sniperscopes", night vision scopes or binoculars, or those utilizing infra-red, heat sensing or other non-visible spectrum light technology used for the purpose of visibly enhancing an animal or providing a visible point of aim directly on an animal are prohibited and may not be possessed while taking or attempting to take big game. Devices commonly referred to as laser rangefinders, "red-dot" scopes with self-illuminating reticles, and fiberoptic sights with self illuminating sight or pins which do not throw, cast or project a visible light onto an animal are permitted.(j) Unless provided in these regulations or any other law, it is unlawful to possess a loaded muzzleloading firearm in any vehicle or conveyance or its attachments which is standing on or along or is being driven on or along any public road or highway or other way open to the public. For the purposes of this section, a muzzleloading firearm shall be deemed to be loaded when it is capped or primed or has an electronic or other ignition device attached and has a powder charge and projectile or shot in the barrel or cylinder.(k)Upon application to the department, the department may issue a Disabled Muzzleloader Scope Permit, free of any charge or fee, to any person with a physical disability, as defined in 353(l), which prevents him/her from being able to focus on the target utilizing muzzleloading rifles equipped with open or ďpeepĒ sights. The Disabled Muzzleloader Scope Permit authorizes the disabled hunter to use a 1X scope on a muzzleloading rifle, as described in subsection 353(f), with a muzzleloading rifle only tag.(1) Applications for a Disabled Muzzleloader Scope Permit, 2009/2010 Disabled Muzzleloader Scope Permit Application, (Form FG 539 (Rev. 6/09)) shall be submitted to the department at the address specified on the application and shall include:(A) Applicant's name B Applicant's physical address© Applicant's date of birth(D) Applicant's Driver's License or DMV Number(E) Applicant's valid hunting license number(F) Applicant's telephone number(G) Applicant's signature(H) Medical Physician's or Optometristís name(I) Medical Physician's or Optometristís business address(J) Medical Physician's or Optometristís business telephone number(K) Medical Physician's State medical license number or Optometristís State license number(L) A description of the visual disability requiring this permit(M) Medical Physician's or Optometristís signature(N) Signature of the authorizing department employee and date issued(2) Proof of meeting eligibility requirements may be met by providing a previously issued Disabled Muzzleloader Scope Permit.(3) The valid Disabled Muzzleloader Scope Permit shall be in the hunterís immediate possession while hunting and shall be shown on demand to any person authorized to enforce this regulation.(4) The Disabled Muzzleloader Scope Permit is valid from July 1 through June 30 of the following year.(l) For the purposes of this section a visual disability means a permanent loss, significant limitation, or diagnosed disease or disorder, which substantially impairs the vision of a hunter, preventing the hunter from viewing and aligning the sights of a muzzleloading rifle with the target in order to hunt deer.Amendment filed 6-12-09; effectivle 7-1-09.

#19 4RHUNTS

4RHUNTS

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts
  • Interests:Hunting for varmints, two and four legged varieties, deer, pigs, birds, reloading, and fishing.

Posted 04 December 2010 - 08:03 AM

There are no restrictions on hunting with an AR type weapon on public lands as long as you legally own it and follow state and local laws.http://www.blm.gov/c...on/hunting.htmlhttp://www.fs.fed.us...s/welcome.shtml

#20 .22guy

.22guy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 10:34 AM

Those links don't refer specifically to hunting. And I'm not talking about any AR-type weapon. I am referring to California registered assault weapons.Edit: can't seem to find a link on this, so I must be mistaken.

#21 4RHUNTS

4RHUNTS

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 12:56 PM

Those links don't refer specifically to hunting. And I'm not talking about any AR-type weapon. I am referring to California registered assault weapons.Edit: can't seem to find a link on this, so I must be mistaken.

The first sentence in the first link talks about hunting on BLM lands and the first sentence of the second link talks about "shooting sports activities" on National Forest lands and I think hunting would qualify as a shooting sport activity. I would think if a certain type of firearm was not allowed there it would say so.

#22 .22guy

.22guy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 01:05 PM

You're right, I'm wrong. Happy?

#23 4RHUNTS

4RHUNTS

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 01:34 PM

You're right, I'm wrong. Happy?

Did not mean to offend you as it appears I did. My post is just my 2cents worth after all. Just trying to point out the information found on those links so others may learn a thing or two as I have from many other well intending members here.

#24 SFSMedic

SFSMedic

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 12:01 PM

I know this is an old thread but the info I got was exactly what I asked for and gold thank you. I just wanted to say it came in handy because someone else I talked to threw out the 5 rd limit again. I was able to point out the regs listed above and show them otherwise. They were very happy to find this out as well. I just wanted to thank everyone again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users