#1 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts
  • Interests:Bass fishing,Kayaking,Airgun hunting

Posted 28 November 2010 - 10:36 AM

On and off for past two years, I have tested my CO2 guns in various conditions. I have two CO2 rifles and a couple CO2 pistols.One thing I found is that in Ambient temps of 60 F -85 F there is very little POI change...but once temps drop below 50 F, your POI/velocity can drop enough to just leave it in the closet.Here is my AS392T .22 cal rifle. I went out recently to shoot it at 25 yards in approx 47 F ambient temps at 25 yards. I let the rifle adjust to the outside temps first.Posted ImagePosted ImageMy POI dropped by 1/2" from my 25 yard zero. ( The one shot on right I heldover to hit the red dot)Posted ImageI waited a couple hours,then went back out when temps reached 75 F...shots were back on my zero...Posted ImagePosted Image

#2 acousticmood

acousticmood

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 11:37 AM

Wow that's pretty compelling data- thanks for the report!

#3 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 09:39 PM

I think some underestimate CO2 guns relative to 'cold' weather...what i found interesting is the AS392T normally shoots at 620 FPS in ambient temps of 80 F...at 60 F it did 585 FPS on the chrony... So the CO2 gas is very forgiving to a point...I did not chrony at 47 F because I forgot..but will soon as I get the chance...Something else...this rifle was designed to only use the 88G carts...but,...I discovered that the 88G threads are very sharp and I was finding 'silver' shavings inside the gun adapter...which is a killer on the o-ring and caused a slow leak.....so I sanded the threads down a little on the next 88G,..and the problem went away... I used pipe thread 'teflon' tape on the first 1/2" of the 88G threads then installed it in the gun...PICS..Threads sanded just to take 'sharp' edge off...Posted ImagePosted Image

#4 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 08:55 AM

Here is chrono with my AS392T CO2 .22 cal at 40 F...I let gun sit outside till the 88G cart temp was 40 F...Posted ImagePosted ImageUsed my Raytek Mini gun to read 88G temp...Posted ImageVelocities by Ambient Temp:80 F = 620 FPS60 F = 585 FPS40 F = 533 FPS

#5 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 01:28 PM

75 F today,so shot the AS392T .22 at my Quad target set at 38 yards...16 shots...think this rifle is ready for some close range squirrel hunting...!!1" paddle...Posted Image

#6 andy1621

andy1621

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts
  • Interests:Retired-Catching up on life (Hunting, Rv'ing, Friends, Family & an occasional BEER!)

Posted 02 December 2010 - 05:25 PM

Nicely researched; :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users