• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 packhorse9

packhorse9

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • Interests:pigs, turkey,varmints, 4 wheeling, motorcycles, classic cars. target shooting,

Posted 28 November 2010 - 10:23 AM

I was at my place in ID and have always took my pellet rifle out and got a thansgiving turkey. this year I had left my beeman in the truck over night and grabbed if when I heard the turkeys struting in my meadow, working in close and waiting I take a 50 ft. head shot nothing, turkeys just stand there, after about 30 minutes and 5 more shots I am confused, it was about 20 degrees out and I am wondering if a pellet rifle seals freeze the gun seemed to be very low on power after leaving it in the house for a few days and finally taking it out to check it seems to shoot fine. It has always been a great shooter and I have taken a few turkeys always head shots 1 shot kills, it had gotten down to about 10 degrees that nite and the gun had been out all nite, any ideas??. thanks Dave

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,678 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 28 November 2010 - 01:14 PM

It's definitely the cold causing the rifle to not perform like normal.Just so you know next season it isn't legal to use an air rifle on turkey in Idaho. It's shotgun, muzzleloader or bow only there. California is an exception on using airguns.

Lawful Methods of TakeTo take upland game birds in Idaho, all hunters may use abow, muzzleloader shooting shot or shotgun with lead or steelshot with shells not exceeding 3 inches in length. Shotgunsare not required to be plugged when hunting upland gamebirds. Hunters also may use dogs to locate, flush and retrieveupland game birds.Unlawful Methods of TakeNo person shall take upland game birds: From one-half hour after sunset to one-half hour beforesunrise. Upland game shall not be taken before 10 a.m.on Fort Boise, C.J. Strike, Montour and Payette RiverWMAs, during the pheasant season. Turkeys shall not betaken from sunset to one-half hour before sunrise. With a trap, snare, net, crossbow, slingshot, hand-held orthrown missiles, firearms except a shotgun using shellsnot exceeding 3 inches maximum length, except forestgrouse. Forest grouse shall not be taken with a trap, snare,net or crossbow. From boats or other craft having a motor attached unlessthe motor is completely shut off and forward progress hasceased, or the boat is drifting naturally, or it is propelledonly by paddle, oars, or pole, or it is beached, moored orresting at anchor. (2010-2011 Season) From any watercraft. (Effective 2011-2012 Season) By the use or aid of any electronic call. By the aid of baiting. Bait is defined as any substanceplaced to attract game.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users