15 replies to this topic

#1 jrusc77

jrusc77

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 06:57 PM

Hey guys I have searched everywhere for the answer to this question but can't seem to come up it. I live in Az and my old man lives in Oxnard, I was thinking about putting together an AR for him w/ OLL lower and use a kit to attach the clip, is this possible or does he have to recieve it in pieces and put it together himself? Another question w/ the clip attached how diffiult is it to reload the gun? Also once the clip is attached to the reciever it is legal to have a pistol grip, collapsible stock etc correct? Thanks in advance for the help and it looks like you guys have a very useful forum here.JR

#2 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 07:29 PM

Oxnard, eh? My neck of the woods. You can send him the bare off list lower and be legal. However, before he does ANYTHING to it he has to pin the magazine. The pistol grip is OK, but a big no on the collapsible stock.Loading an AR with a pinned mag is a real pain... you have to break it open to load and unload. But, if this swings the way everyone is hoping, there will be a mandatory registration period for the OLL's and then any CA OLL owner can un-pin the mag.I will PM you an e-mail address for a FFL in the area that may do the transfer for you. E-mail him and explain that its a gift for your father and see if he'll do it.

#3 RLS

RLS

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 06:35 AM

Is there different requierments when you tranfer father to son or son to father?

#4 capitol

capitol

Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 07:49 AM

Is there different requierments when you tranfer father to son or son to father?

The CA DOJ has a form you have to fill out and mail to them. IIRC it costs $19 to transfer the firearm from Dad to son. Oh and the DOJ does do a backround check.This transfer requirement is for handguns only. Long guns are not reg'd in this state, yet.If I was JR I would build the OLL rifle, pin the mag or lose the grip and mail it overnight to your father. Why send it to the FFL and give the state more money? Im assuming your dad can legally own firearms.Edit: The form to transfer to a family member is called "Intra-Familial Handgun Transaction" Its $19 for one or more handguns.
Bullets are pretty worthless. All they do is hang around waiting to get loaded.

#5 jrusc77

jrusc77

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 09:22 AM

"If I was JR I would build the OLL rifle, pin the mag or lose the grip and mail it overnight to your father. Why send it to the FFL and give the state more money? Im assuming your dad can legally own firearms."Correct me if I am wrong but if I was to mail a gun from az to ca he would have to use an ffl to recieve it. What if I assemble it and drive it out to him? Do I need a special form stating that it is ca legal? or by rule if it is a oll lower and pinned mag it is already legal? The reason that I am asking this is that I have seen certain guns for sale that state that they have a letter stating their legality.JR

#6 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 12:14 PM

CA law requires ANY firearm be transferred with paperwork.

#7 glockster

glockster

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Interests:Shootin' Blastin' Plinkin' & A Little Fishin'

Posted 09 October 2006 - 07:51 PM

I don't beleive this is true, I think you can legally do a face to face transfer between private parties, of a long gun as long as the recipient is legally allowed to own a gun.

#8 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 09:06 PM

Glockster, not in CA with out breaking the law. Call your FFL and ask.

#9 Bozsik

Bozsik

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts
  • Interests:Having fun with my Wife and Kids, Hunting, Camping, Wildlife Photography, Woodworking, and Illustration.

Posted 10 October 2006 - 06:54 AM

Glockster, not in CA with out breaking the law. Call your FFL and ask.

I think the only exception is a family gift, eg, father gives son birthday gift, etc.db
TALK STRAIGHT, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND KEEP THE MAGAZINE LOADED.ORANGEVALE,CA

#10 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 07:02 AM

Thanks, DB.CA gun laws are out there, Glockster. Last year I was looking at doing an out of state deer hunt and was going to fly there. I was looking into shipping my rifle back to CA if I had a good hunt to allow me to bring the meat back on the plane and cutting down on my luggage. I called the folks at the CA DOJ and asked if it was legal to recieve my own firearm (that was shipped by me) at my own house. No, it is not. I would have had to gone through a FFL and wait the 10 day period like any new firearm purchase.Needless to say, I didn't ship my rifle.

#11 capitol

capitol

Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 06:23 PM

Its perfectly legal to ship your own rifle back to California. An FFL Dealer is not needed.From the CA DOJ web site I am moving into California and I own several handguns. What are the new-resident registration requirements? You are considered to be a personal handgun importer as defined by California law. You may bring all of your otherwise California-legal firearms with you, but you must report all of your handguns to the DOJ within 60 days as required utilizing the New Resident Handgun Ownership Report. [PDF 518 kb / 2 pg] You are not required to report rifles or shotguns. . You may not bring ammunition feeding devices with a capacity greater than ten rounds, machineguns, or assault weapons into California.Also, in regards to giving your father an OLL Rifle. The regs dont mention or care where the rifle was mfg only that it is legal to posses and own in California. From the CA DOJ web site Can I give a firearm to my adult child? Can he/she give it back to me later? Yes, as long as the adult child receiving the firearm is not in a prohibited category [PDF 10 kb / 1 pg] and the firearm is a legal firearm to possess, the transfer of a firearm between a parent and child or a grandparent and grandchild is exempt from the dealer transfer requirement. However, if the firearm is a handgun, you must submit an Report of Operation of Law or Intra-Familial Handgun Transaction [PDF 481 kb / 2 pg] and $19 fee to the DOJ within 30 days. Assault weapons may not be transferred in this fashion. See Penal Code section 12285, subdivision Hope that clears things up.
Bullets are pretty worthless. All they do is hang around waiting to get loaded.

#12 Bozsik

Bozsik

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts
  • Interests:Having fun with my Wife and Kids, Hunting, Camping, Wildlife Photography, Woodworking, and Illustration.

Posted 10 October 2006 - 06:45 PM

Also, in regards to giving your father an OLL Rifle. The regs dont mention or care where the rifle was mfg only that it is legal to posses and own in California. From the CA DOJ web site Can I give a firearm to my adult child? Can he/she give it back to me later? Yes, as long as the adult child receiving the firearm is not in a prohibited category [PDF 10 kb / 1 pg] and the firearm is a legal firearm to possess, the transfer of a firearm between a parent and child or a grandparent and grandchild is exempt from the dealer transfer requirement. However, if the firearm is a handgun, you must submit an Report of Operation of Law or Intra-Familial Handgun Transaction [PDF 481 kb / 2 pg] and $19 fee to the DOJ within 30 days. Assault weapons may not be transferred in this fashion. See Penal Code section 12285, subdivision

Thanks Capitol:I thought I saw that somewhere. Since I am not interested in handguns, machineguns, assault weapons, hand grenades, and the like, I am happy to know I am ok to transfer just normal hunting weapons, without the fees attached. :lol: :lol: db.
TALK STRAIGHT, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND KEEP THE MAGAZINE LOADED.ORANGEVALE,CA

#13 MeatVapor

MeatVapor

Squirrel Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Interests:Killing fuzzy critters.

Posted 17 November 2006 - 08:46 AM

Not to mention that because of the assault weapons ban there is more red tape on transferring a banned AR. I would talk to a gun shop or DOJ.

#14 Heywood

Heywood

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 05:32 PM

Not to mention that because of the assault weapons ban there is more red tape on transferring a banned AR. I would talk to a gun shop or DOJ.

OLL AR's are not banned or even AW's. You just have to conform to the "evil features" law (pre-ban config) or you have created an unregistered AW and are now a felon. Although a law was just signed recently, IIRC, that allows that to be plead as a misdemeanor.Read all about it... http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=71

#15 Iron Worker

Iron Worker

Iron worker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts
  • Interests:Hunting/Fishing/ Hiking

Posted 22 November 2006 - 05:34 PM

I bought my AR-15 back in 92 and have a whole sh-- load of 20 30 40 round mags I've had as long as the rifle. I'm not a felon now am I? Plus if I take this rifle on an out of state hunt,can I bring it back into the state with out any problems? My rifle is legally registered. I'm tempted to sell it out of state,just there isn't a market for it like here in Ca.

#16 Fjold

Fjold

Traveling hitman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, hunting and fishing.

Posted 22 November 2006 - 07:05 PM

I bought a dog back in 92 and have a whole sh-- load of 20 30 40 round mags I've had as long as the rifle. I'm not a felon now am I? Plus if I take this rifle on an out of state hunt,can I bring it back into the state with out any problems? My rifle is legally registered. I'm tempted to sell it out of state,just there isn't a market for it like here in Ca.

Magazines of any size are legal to own if you owned them before Jan 1, 2000. The state has to prove that you purchased them after that date to prosecute you for them. You are not allowed to import, manufacturer, sell, give away or receive any magazines that hold more than 10 rounds but you are allowed to own them. I would not take full capacity magazines out of the state unless I had receipts or other dated proof that I owned them before 1/1/2000At the same time the State of California listed the AR type rifles as "Assault Weapons". Owners of those weapons had to send in an application for "Assault Weapon" registration, pay a fee and receive a permit for the assault weapons. (This was a separate registration not the one done by your gun dealer at the time that you bought it) If someone did not do that second registration, then their weapon is illegal to own in California and the person of the unregistered gun is commiting a felony. The lower receiver frame is the only part that this applies to, so if you had disassembled an AR rifle and destroyed the lower receiver then you could keep the rest of the parts and buy an Off List Lower (receiver) and rebuild it as a fixed magazine rifle or run without a pistol grip, flash hider or collapsible stock and use your full capacity magzines.
Frank
One rifle, one planet. Holland's 375
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users