• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 savageHMR

savageHMR

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Interests:target shooting, varmint hunting, boating, fishing, horses..

Posted 27 September 2006 - 10:59 AM

As I don't have the money for a Foxpro, but wanted to try something for calling, here's a cheap solution that I found works.I had an MP3 player and a pair of FRS radios and saw the free calling sounds on Varmintal's page, so I first loaded these free sounds on my MP3. Next, I was thinking how I could make this a wireless remote setup. After looking at a lot of wireless solutions on the web, I thought about my FRS radios. My FRS radios have VOX ( voice activation ) capability with the wired headset/microphone and the range on these things is in miles, not feet. So, the $5 was spent at Radio shack to get a cable and adapter to jack the MP3 headphone output into the headset/microphone input on my FRS radio. I just put it together yesterday and I haven't used it in the field yet, but technically it works. I just start the MP3 player and the radios connect automatically. The second radio becomes the remote speaker which you can place anywhere ( within miles ). From my first tests, the volume from the radio is ok, but not really loud. I also tried to jack the second radio into my portable boombox to get more volume, but it didn't work ( I think the boombox is too much of a load for that little radio ). The clarity is good enough that my wife left the house because she didn't like hearing the screaming animal noises.Eventually, I would like to get a Foxpro, but until then...necessity is the mother of invention....

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,659 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 27 September 2006 - 11:08 AM

That should work. I'm not sure what the FCC would say about it though, they can be kind of sticky about certain frequency uses. You might be surprised at the distance it works at too when your sitting there and "Hey Betty, where's my clean underwear?" or something similar comes across your caller. :lol:

#3 Jason

Jason

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, camping, scuba diving, American Revolution living history, fishing, ham radio.

Posted 27 September 2006 - 01:43 PM

That should work. I'm not sure what the FCC would say about it though, they can be kind of sticky about certain frequency uses. You might be surprised at the distance it works at too when your sitting there and "Hey Betty, where's my clean underwear?" or something similar comes across your caller. :lol:

I can see it now...the coyote is coming in close just as Betty comes on with the underwear report causing the coyote to pull up just in time to put a pill in him. :lol: Jason

#4 savageHMR

savageHMR

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 06:05 PM

Yeah, for the price, nothing's perfect...As far as the underware report goes, I didn't know coyotes wore them....These FRS radios operate in allocated frequencies for general conversation, no problems there...these are just "hunting" conversations. They can be used for any general conversation. Alot of people use them for boating, hiking, tracking the kids at the mall, etc... They are also digital radios, so the number of available channels is literally hundreds and the chance of collision with someone else is pretty remote, not like the old CB days.

#5 Mayhem

Mayhem

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, Fishing, wwII aviation. Flight sims, Computer games.

Posted 27 September 2006 - 06:54 PM

You could get a bosch power box. and either burn your Mp3's to Cd (as Mp3's) or burn them to a cd as CD audio. You can also buy an iPod dock for it. However it cost about 180 bucks. not sure what a game caller cost. http://www.boschtool...a...934&I=54975Power Box specs.Radio/CD run off Bosch batteries or AC power - 12V, 14.4V, 18V, 24V Integrated jobsite CD player with CD-R/RW and MP3 compatibility 40 second skip-free protection4-way GFCI protected outlet Power-up jobsite tools and equipment. Meets OSHA requirementsBest Reception - Upgraded Antenna and Advanced Digital Tuner Best Sound - Premium Speakers, More Power, and separate Bass and Treble control Exclusive Remote Control Stores on Power Box or on Key RingFM Stereo AM tuner with 20 FM and 10 AM station presets Charges 12V - 24V Bosch batteries BAT025, BAT026, BAT040, BAT043, BAT045, BAT030, BAT031, BAT120, BAT140, BAT180, BAT181, BAT240Four preset equalizer settings and enhanced "Bosch Sound" Protective aluminum roll cage Protects unit from a 10 foot jobsite drop and is designed for increased durability on the job Radio and CD Player operate on Bosch Battery Packs - 12V - 24V Sealed Buttons, Speakers, Battery Chamber Protects Unit From Dust and Weather

#6 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,659 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 06:56 PM

That's not exactly true there are only 14 FRS channels but there are tones so that you you can block unwanted chatter unless they pick your tone. But the frequency is in use whether you hear what's going on or not. In other words if you tie it up for a period of time you can effectively block someone else from using it. As for playing sounds over it technically since FoxPro and every other caller manufactures is licensed to transmit and are only allocated specific frequencies to use you would be in violation. After all you're not carrying on a conversation you're broadcasting and that brings up a whole new set of FCC regulations. Just thought you should know because San Francisco has a main office and they do follow up on complaints. The fine could easily exceed a FoxPro and don't think they can't find you.Read this if you don't believe me. http://www.provide.n.../frs-faq.htm#Q1May I broadcast music over my FRS radio? No. You may only use FRS to conduct two-way voice communications with another person [95.193(a)]. Only these types of one-way communications are permitted [95.193(a)]: To establish communications with another person (to call them); To send an emergency message. The FCC defines an "emergency message" as "concerning the immediate protection of property or the safety of someone's life"; To provide "traveler assistance"; To make a voice page; To conduct a brief test.

#7 savageHMR

savageHMR

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 08:51 PM

Mayhem,Thanks for the tip, that looks interesting also. I'll have to see what the remote range is.John,Yeah, I was confusing the # of codes with the number of channels. My radios have 22 channels ( 14 FRS and 8 FRS/GMRS ) and from the FCC site, GMRS has similar restrictions.

#8 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,659 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 09:11 PM

Yeah, I just don't want you to get into trouble. The feds can be tough. :lol:

#9 Jason

Jason

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, camping, scuba diving, American Revolution living history, fishing, ham radio.

Posted 28 September 2006 - 07:09 AM

Yeah, I just don't want you to get into trouble. The feds can be tough. :rolleyes:

That is a fact. I'm a Ham and you have to be certain that you do not broadcast at all or else!Jason

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users