• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 JakeKelley

JakeKelley

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Interests:I like to hunt ducks and upland birds, fish, backpack, and do archery.

Posted 06 November 2010 - 02:44 PM

My dad wants to get a sa revolver. He is thinking about a 45 colt. He has narrowed it down to a taylors smoke wagon deluxe, a ruger vaquero, and a uberti el patron. Does anyone have any thoughts on one he should get. His price range is from $300 to $600.

#2 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,814 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 06 November 2010 - 04:22 PM

I love my vaquero, but it has fixed sights. My preference after the vaquero would be the blackhawk. Built like a tank!

#3 4RHUNTS

4RHUNTS

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts
  • Interests:Hunting for varmints, two and four legged varieties, deer, pigs, birds, reloading, and fishing.

Posted 06 November 2010 - 05:49 PM

I have the Ruger Blackhawk in 45 Colt with 5 1/2" barrel and love it. It is the convertable model with an extra cylinder in 45 ACP.

#4 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,833 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 06 November 2010 - 08:39 PM

Got black hawks in 357 and 44mag love them both. Like braz said built like tanks.

#5 andy1621

andy1621

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts
  • Interests:Retired-Catching up on life (Hunting, Rv'ing, Friends, Family & an occasional BEER!)

Posted 06 November 2010 - 11:09 PM

Go with the Blackhawk. Adjustable sights are the way to go, in my opinion.

#6 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,655 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 07 November 2010 - 07:46 AM

It's hard to beat the Blackhawks. They are built tough and are excellent shooters.

#7 Braz

Braz

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,814 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 07 November 2010 - 12:08 PM

Here's one you may be interested in.http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=334278

#8 Portagee_Shooter

Portagee_Shooter

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 05:08 PM

One more nod for Blackhawks! In the SA game you can't beat em for durability.

#9 JakeKelley

JakeKelley

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Interests:I like to hunt ducks and upland birds, fish, backpack, and do archery.

Posted 07 November 2010 - 06:41 PM

My dad was thinking of maybe the cattleman el patron. Or perhaps a 1873 cattleman, sorry guys but the ruger blackhawk isn't on our path. We want a gun with real walnut grips and just plain old sights no rear sights. Also we know a fast draw champion and he says to only go with a 5 1/2" barrel.

#10 Braz

Braz

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,814 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 07:26 PM

In that case I would look at the Ruger Vaquero. The older model, as it is much more stout than the new model. Readly available on the SASS web site.

#11 rude robert

rude robert

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 05:11 AM

Built like a tank and weights just as much lol

#12 Jason

Jason

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, camping, scuba diving, American Revolution living history, fishing, ham radio.

Posted 08 November 2010 - 07:08 AM

I've got Ubertis and Rugers. The quality of the Ruger is a lot nicer hands down. The fit and finish is also better. I like the Uberti SAs because they are unique and more authentic reproductions of classic SAs but it's hard to beat the Ruger quality. If I had to choose only one SA handgun it would be the Ruger.

#13 wgscpd

wgscpd

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 06:57 PM

Definately the Ruger. My preference is the Blackhawk for the adustable sights. I have a 5 1/2 45 Colt and it is one of the most acurate pistols that I have. A pleasure to cary and rugged as hell. Adjustable sights are manditory in my opinion on these pistols unless he is going to settle on one load and stick with it. There is a big difference in POI between say full house 300 grainers and lighter loads. The Blackhawks adjustable rear sight makes it possible to sight in any load he wants to use. I have two Super Blackhawks in 44 mag and I prefer the .45 Colt Blackhawk over them for general use.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users