• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,173 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, PCP Airguns, Flying (home builts)

Posted 05 November 2010 - 06:54 PM

Are there any decent products out there that protect your hearing and still allow for normal conversations? I have heard mixed reviews on Walkers Game Ears. I don't need hearing enhancement - just good protection and to hear normally. I have heard of Sport Ears but don't know much about them.

I'm an airgunholic

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,478 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 05 November 2010 - 07:04 PM

I have the E.A.R. Inc. electronic hearing protection. They work very well.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#3 sixgun

sixgun

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 07:06 PM

Good question Brant, when I elk/deer hunt I don't use any hearing protection, but when pheasant hunting I definitely use my ear plugs. I use to have some muffs that I used for target practice, but plugs are much more comfortable for me. It's a matter of preference I think.
Every boy should have two things: a dog, and a mother willing to let him have one.

#4 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,173 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 07:16 PM

Thanks. Which model of the E.A.R.s? They seem to have exactly what I am looking for.

I'm an airgunholic

#5 sportyg

sportyg

Sportyg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts
  • Interests:Camping, Fishing, hunting, Football, playing backgammon,& music

Founder: Hunters Helping Hunters
    www.huntershelpinghuntersUSA.org
    LM:NAHC

Posted 05 November 2010 - 07:32 PM

I just use ear plugs for upland game and duck hunting.. Nothing when hunting deer..
Sportyg;Founder:HHHwww.hhh-usa.orgLM:NAHCMbr:TRCP

#6 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,478 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 09:08 PM

I have the digital non-programmablehttp://www.earinc.co...nic-hunting.php

Time waits for no one--

#7 sixgun

sixgun

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 09:35 PM

since joining the forum I've learned a lot of great things ... I can now add this to the list ... hoping Santa is listening too ;)E.A.R. Digital Advantage (Non-programmable) --This unit is the basic backbone of digital technology with basic bandwidth circuitry. It features two manual adjustment potentiometers that allow the user to control the base and treble tones and set them according to their own preference. This unit is an excellent low-end digital choice and is popular for active individuals who also maybe slightly hard-of-hearing. the future of hearing protection ... ( technology and science )With the advancements provided by the hearing aid industry, "digital technology" has become a recognized advantage to end users seeking the best in performance, sound clarity and enhancement. This is never more evident then to individuals who use game calls, whistles, and verbal communications during training, hunting or working, or who suffer from a hearing impairment.We introduced our original digital model several years ago. Since this introduction, we have expanded our line to included three additional models - a low-end, non-programmable, digital circuit with manual adjustments, a mid-grade programmable digital to address basic hearing loss, and a high-end programmable digital featuring a pre-set push button multi-memory program.The distinct characteristics digital technology gives the user is the ability to hear things in a natural state, or "CD" quality of sound without the distractions or distortions commonly heard within analog units known as "acoustic confusion," "white noise," or "background sounds." This recognition between speech patterns and general noises gives the digital circuits superior sound and enhancement properties across the board.Utilizing digital technology also gives us the ability to offer such options as music/audio upgrades and wireless two-way radio communications for better clarity when requested by law enforcement, military, hunting and general listening demands over analog technology. What this means is the ability to give our users the option to use this in multiple applications and address differences in hearing ability.
Every boy should have two things: a dog, and a mother willing to let him have one.

#8 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,478 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 07:53 AM

If you are using electronic ear protection while shooting ground squirrels, prairie dogs or target practice. You should wear an ear muff style of ear protection over them.

Time waits for no one--

#9 JimT.

JimT.

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 09:21 PM

ShooterJohn, I would guess Walker muffs would be the way to go. Anyone have these to comment on?

#10 mtn dog

mtn dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting.
    Other interests:
    My family, writing, photography, 2nd Amendment.
    Looking forward to meeting as many of you as possible.

Posted 08 November 2010 - 09:10 PM

What's the approximate price on the E.A.R. Inc. products?
"If we make enough laws, we can all be criminals."

#11 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,173 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 05:16 AM

These are very good units that are custom fit to your ear. Think hearing aid quality (which are $4-5k). I believe the list price was in the $900 range for the pair that is non-progrrammable. Maybe John can describe how they work in the field.http://www.earinc.co...inicanalreg.php

I'm an airgunholic

#12 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,478 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 08:05 AM

They are rather expensive at close to $1000. But then what is your hearing worth to you. I've lost allot of my hearing ability from years of competitive shooting. I actually got mine through a trap shooting club I belonged to at somewhat of a group discount. They work just like a hearing aid in that they are adjustable for hearing level and sensitivity. I also have trouble wearing anything other than the foam marshmallow style of ear plugs. So having these poured and fit to my ears makes them very comfortable. I have a pair of solid poured ear plugs too and that is why I knew these would fit well and work.

Time waits for no one--

#13 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,173 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 08:13 AM

My wife hates everytime I spend $1000 on a new gun but she didn't bat an eyelash when I mentioned these. I am thinking about them as an xmas present.

I'm an airgunholic

#14 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,064 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 09:28 AM

Those look great! I am currently using the Howard Lieght electronic earmuffs. They sound really good and cost is reasonable too I think 60 bucks on sale at Turners here in Los Angeles.

#15 handgun

handgun

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Interests:Guns and Dogs

Posted 09 November 2010 - 07:48 PM

If you are using electronic ear protection while shooting ground squirrels, prairie dogs or target practice. You should wear an ear muff style of ear protection over them.

Lately I have heard alot about damage from high decibels (sp) from behind the ear, something that the combo of plugs AND muffs can help prevent.This information was presented by a military pilot, avid hunter and gun sporstman, who is now all but deaf.

#16 Portagee_Shooter

Portagee_Shooter

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 06:32 AM

i need these....says the guy who always hears ringing in his ears! my custom poured silicone just don't cut it for extended exposure!
Q: "What do you hunt with that?" A: "Name it"-Rambo

#17 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,173 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 06:45 AM

Me too. My hearing is down in the upper ranges in the left ear from shooting and it constantly rings in the frequency that was knocked out. I'll still use the muffs for any range shooting or PDogs, etc but for deer, coyote, or turkey type hunting where you are likely not to shoot much they are perfect which is what we do 90% of the time.

I'm an airgunholic

#18 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,064 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 11:30 AM

I use my custom fit earplugs and then my Howard lieghts on top of them at the range on hunting trips I use Howard Leights electronic earmuffs. They work well but those in ear ones look really nice too if you have the cash.

#19 mtn dog

mtn dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts
    Other interests:

Posted 10 November 2010 - 11:42 AM

Have any of you who have shooting-damaged hearing (like me) gone to your doctor yet for hearing aids? I've been putting it off for all kinds of weak excuses.Are there high quality hearing aids out there that INCLUDE the feature of instantly cutting off sudden gun shot noise? Maybe if I knew I could get fitted with hearing aids that allow me to hear better while hunting and protect me from further hearing loss, I'm be more willing to write that big check.

#20 tawnoper

tawnoper

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,813 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 07:55 AM

Are there high quality hearing aids out there that INCLUDE the feature of instantly cutting off sudden gun shot noise?

I believe that most of the high quality models have that feature. I bought my dad a set of Walker game ears a while back and that's what they do. I have a set of Pro Ears muffs that work the same (amplify the sounds around but shut off at a set decibel).I wear the pro ears while target shooting, ground squirrel shooting and out jumping jackrabbits...any place I'm doing lots of shooting. They work well at the range too because you can talk and hear range instruction. I tried using them while hunting but didn't care for them. For instance quail shooting, I could REALLY hear them when they took off but I couldn't direct the sound (like if they jumped up behind me).
ProStaff - ProStaff - Field Staff - I'm very important!

#21 mtn dog

mtn dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts
    Other interests:

Posted 12 November 2010 - 12:50 PM

I believe that most of the high quality models have that feature. I bought my dad a set of Walker game ears a while back and that's what they do. I have a set of Pro Ears muffs that work the same (amplify the sounds around but shut off at a set decibel)...

Thanks Tawnoper.I was thinking of the 'real' hearing aids that a doctor would prescribe after testing your hearing and that whole routine. No sense in spending a grand for high-tech hunter's ears if I can also get my everyday hearing improved for a bit more and maybe get my insurance to pick up some of the bill.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users