10 replies to this topic

#1 tony

tony

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 03:43 PM

im gonna go crabbing this weekend off pacifica pier for dungees this sunday. opening day is saterday but cant make it out sat.If annybody else is gonna be out there il be at the end of the peir.im gonna try and be there by 5 am before the crowds show.

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,656 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 04 November 2010 - 09:36 AM

I wish it wasn't so far away because I love crabbing and Dungeness opens this Saturday morning. I'm sure that's why you are going. Unfortunately the return hasn't been great these last few years. We do crab down at our place at Dillon Beach. What's your favorite method to catch them? I still use hoop nets but really like using crab snares because I can cast them out. They are remarkably effective too. I used to like to crab off the piers in SF but since they made Dungeness crab off limits in the bay I don't go there anymore and we just hit Tomales Bay. Using the snares off of the beach has been really productive and fun. It's like treasure hunting for crab and you never know what you'll pull in.

#3 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts
  • Interests:God, family & country. Predator hunting, shooting, reloading.

Posted 04 November 2010 - 10:52 AM

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....craaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaab :D I wanna go. Damn this work-a-day world. I WANT CRAB! :014:

#4 tony

tony

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 03:46 PM

I wish it wasn't so far away because I love crabbing and Dungeness opens this Saturday morning. I'm sure that's why you are going. Unfortunately the return hasn't been great these last few years. We do crab down at our place at Dillon Beach. What's your favorite method to catch them? I still use hoop nets but really like using crab snares because I can cast them out. They are remarkably effective too. I used to like to crab off the piers in SF but since they made Dungeness crab off limits in the bay I don't go there anymore and we just hit Tomales Bay. Using the snares off of the beach has been really productive and fun. It's like treasure hunting for crab and you never know what you'll pull in.

well il be using snares off Pacifca Pier but i would prefer dropping pots of a boat. last year i took a 14 foot skiff out with a 9 hp evinrude with my lorance GPS .I had 6 square pots and droped them in 250 ft of water about 4 miles from pillar point harbor.my buddy couldnt make it out the next day so i went out alone and pulled a limit of ten dungeese at atleast 3 lbs a piece and threw three back.i did pull all three pots up by hand also, not so easy. Well when i came back to the harbor the was a guy who asked me how i did (prob because i was in a tin boat that didnt look so sea worthy) and showed him one of my crabs.he came in empty after pulling in 8 pots so i told him if he takes me back out in his nice boston whaler that i will pull my other three pots and he can keep the crab.so he took me out and in about 30 minutes we were back at the harbor and he whent home with 7 nice crab and i took all my pots home.I never took the dingy out again and sold the motor and now it just sits wating for me to fix it up.sorry for the long story.

#5 Fjold

Fjold

Traveling hitman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,816 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, hunting and fishing.

Posted 04 November 2010 - 06:01 PM

My Mom's at the Gaviota Beach (Above Santa Barbara) pier 2-3 days a week fishing and crabbing.

#6 Karl

Karl

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 04:39 AM

This will be a great year for dungies, they run on a seven year cycle this year being about the best. That is until the northern boats(which are coming in force) get here and rape the sea.Have fun and good luck!

#7 sixgun

sixgun

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 03:50 PM

no dungeness crab here in CO, unless you want to buy them at the store ... $6.99/Lb. for clusters - glad to here you were successful and the season is gonna be a good one for those hunting them. which brings me to a question - is it crab fishing or crab hunting ? or just plain crabbing ? :smiley_green_with_envy:

#8 tony

tony

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 04:38 PM

il be using a fishing pole so id say its crab fishing .

#9 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,656 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 05 November 2010 - 05:31 PM

Hey Tony, good luck tomorrow morning with the crab fishing. I was going to try and sneak down to our place tomorrow myself. But my wife's grandmother passed away last night at my wife's mom's birthday party. She was 95 years old so she had a good long life. It was an exciting evening we had. Something we won't soon forget.I hope the dungies are there for you and hopefully we'll have a good season. :smiley_green_with_envy:

#10 sixgun

sixgun

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 08:45 PM

il be using a fishing pole so id say its crab fishing .

sounds like a proper definition of it to me >>> crab fishing it is :lol:

#11 tony

tony

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 03:19 PM

Hey Tony, good luck tomorrow morning with the crab fishing. I was going to try and sneak down to our place tomorrow myself. But my wife's grandmother passed away last night at my wife's mom's birthday party. She was 95 years old so she had a good long life. It was an exciting evening we had. Something we won't soon forget.I hope the dungies are there for you and hopefully we'll have a good season. :smiley_kewlpics:

sorry to hear about your wifes grandmother... to live to be 95 is quite an accomplishment well i woke up and left this morning at 3:30 am with a friend to find out they wont open the pier till 7:30.when we got there it was raining and windy.There was about 15 people already there waiting also.By the time they opened the gate there was at least 40 or 50 people and it looked like a parade when the gate opened.The weather was on and off rain with high gusts at time and not fun to be in. The pier was packed with people by 9:00 .We called it a day with 10 nice dungeese and i pulled 7 up my self.I took a couple of pics....but there to big and i cant remember how to shrink them down.il try and figure it out..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users