10 replies to this topic

#1 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 12 November 2005 - 09:08 PM

Gents, I am going to try and load up some of my 50 grain bullets for my AR before I fly back to MO in a few weeks. I've got a new can (jar) of Varget that I would like to use on this project. Anyone have any good 223 recipes using the Varget?Thanks a bunch! :)

#2 Hylander

Hylander

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • Interests:Shooting Sports

Posted 12 November 2005 - 10:05 PM

Gott'a a great load for Varget but with 55gr. V-MaxSorry: Havn't tried the 50's yet, but soon
Failure is not an OptionLincoln,Ca.

#3 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,475 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 13 November 2005 - 10:08 AM

Gott'a a great load for Varget but with 55gr. V-Max

And just whom did you get that great load from? :) What was that, ShooterJohn. :) thank you very much!Posted Image

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#4 Hylander

Hylander

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 13 November 2005 - 12:23 PM

And just whom did you get that great load from? What was that, ShooterJohn. thank you very much!

I didn't say who came up with it :PBut I'll steal credit when ever I can :) Looks like I didn't get away with it this time :) Wait a Minute I do have a good load for 50'sAnd I did the load developement MySelf ;) .It shoot's Sub MOA in the Savage I developed it in and also 14" Contender and My Mini-1450gr. V-Max26.5 gr. of BLC-2CCI Mag PrimerThis is a near Max Load, It shows no pressure signs in my Firearms.However, alway's consult a load manual.Posted Image

#5 Hylander

Hylander

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 13 November 2005 - 02:26 PM

You only hit 1 out of 4 circles-my kid can do that!

Ya' well can he do it three times in a row :)

#6 Iron Worker

Iron Worker

Iron worker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts
  • Interests:Hunting/Fishing/ Hiking

Posted 18 November 2005 - 06:46 PM

And just whom did you get that great load from? <_< What was that, ShooterJohn. :huh: thank you very much!Posted Image

You mean to tell us you don't have a Sierra Reloading manual!!!! They have 223 loads specifically an AR-15. They have loads with Varget. I'm afraid your going to half to buy the book.Don't want Sierra bullet smiths mad at me.

#7 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,475 posts

Posted 18 November 2005 - 06:55 PM

You mean to tell us you don't have a Sierra Reloading manual!!!! They have 223 loads specifically an AR-15.

Larry, not every load in a reloading manual works in every gun. They're just reference material for shooters who reload to give them a starting and don't blow yourself up point! If it was that easy I wouldn't spend hours at the range testing new loads for each of my guns. But then I want all of my guns to shoot one hole groups every time. <_<

Time waits for no one--

#8 Iron Worker

Iron Worker

Iron worker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts
  • Interests:Hunting/Fishing/ Hiking

Posted 19 November 2005 - 05:55 PM

[quote name='ShooterJohn' date='Nov 18 2005, 06:55 PM' post='1899']Larry, not every load in a reloading manual works in every gun. They're just reference material for shooters who reload to give them a starting and don't blow yourself up point! If it was that easy I wouldn't spend hours at the range testing new loads for each of my guns. But then I want all of my guns to shoot one hole groups every time. :I was kinda kidding around in my response.I just felt that was a pretty basic question That was fully addressed by Sierra. I shoot a AR-15 and Varget is just so-so. WW748 and Viht 135 really shine in my rifle. So Shooter John what is your favorite rifle(Best Accuracy) For me I just bought a Cooper Classic in 22-250AI. It shoots very good. But my Rem 700 with Hart BBL and Jewell Trigger chambered in 6x284 shoots in the 3s providing I do my part.Strange even with that Hart BBL it wasn't till after 400rnds did it really start shooting awesome. So either all the loads I used before that were below par or I've developed better Bench technics. 1st hundread rnds thru the BBL the groups were nothing to write home about.I was saying "So this is a Hart BBL"? I was disapointed. I wonder how the boys did in Nevada?

#9 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,475 posts

Posted 19 November 2005 - 06:20 PM

Larry, I've got a Savage 12 BVSS in .223 that burns Varget powder pushing 55gr V-MAX's though the same hole at 100yards all day long. It actually burns H335 pushing 40gr. V-MAX's even better and that hole isn't much bigger than one bullet. Ask Hylander he's seen it do it even in his .223 he sold. But both the Savage and my Rem 700 VSF really start to shine out past 200 yards. I shot some 3/4 inch groups the other day at 200 yards. But all of my guns have there own special load. Some will work in several guns but I like to tweak them for each gun. Aim small miss small. <_<

Time waits for no one--

#10 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 23 November 2005 - 05:52 PM

John, I found some 55's setting in the back of my cabinet when I went to reload! I loaded up 65 of the 55gr (That's all that was left) and about 30 of some 50 grain V-max. That ought to get me through the quick trip I am going to make to MO. Thanks again.

#11 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,475 posts

Posted 23 November 2005 - 05:59 PM

Heath, good luck back there and have some fun too. Let me know how that new gun shoots! :blink:

Time waits for no one--

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users