7 replies to this topic

#1 sixgun

sixgun

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 08:13 PM

i've always wanted to try swim baits and the lakes you all have in Cali, anyone here have any experience with that sort of fishing ?? my big brother has always advocated the bigger the bait the bigger the bass, and he's got more 10 + bass than anyone i've ever fished with, so what's the forum's thoughts on how to catch big bass ?
Every boy should have two things: a dog, and a mother willing to let him have one.

#2 Mr Del

Mr Del

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 30 October 2010 - 11:09 AM

As an X bass fishing guide. I can attest for several facts. First, it takes skill to catch fish. Both in the ability to cast where you would expect to find feeding fish and the skill to make the lure act like it is injured but not sick. Make it look GOOD and easy for Mr. Bass to attack and eat. Big lures work on larger bass but you give up the total numbers of bass caught. By just going after large fish... you will have many days where you do not catch ANY fish at all. How fun is that? Not for me. I also believe ....it takes skill to catch fish it takes luck to catch a big one. Because you have no control what size fish is going to attack your lure. I have caught many bass over 7 pounds on 3 1/2 inch rapala. Topwater. My biggest fish was 11 lbs 4 oz. caught on a large Pop 'R' topwater chuger.

#3 sixgun

sixgun

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 30 October 2010 - 03:24 PM

Respectfully I do agree with you MrDell on certain points and disagree on others. Not all bass are caught with the injured minnow imitation, (wounded baitfish) presentation. Many times we are just trying to imitate what the fish would be feeding on, spinner baits, plastic worms, etc. I am with you 100% on how much more fun it is catch fish when the numbers caught are high. On the other hand, all of us has it in the back or front of our minds how wonderful it is to catch big fish. The big strike, the big battle of fighting the fish, and hopefully landing it. I am a big fan of light tackle and fly rod when bass fishing, but the size (lbs.) of my catches are usually no where near what my brother has caught. His choice of tackle is a Lew's Speed Spool reel with 10-14 mono. and while his choice of lures is really not all that big (2 - 8 inches long)he consistently has caught big bass. He has done it so often in fact that I have ruled out the "luck" factor. Big Bass like Big Baits, my thinking is that they only want to expend energy for something worth that effort. And you do sound a bit like a fishing guide, where if the client(s) don't catch fish, your reputation as a fishing guide at the marina/hotel/baitshop, etc. suffers. So it's a matter of making the customer happy, and if a trophy fish gets caught so much the better for all involved. I just think that bigger fish require different tactics (bigger tackle and bigger lures) - I guess as one tires of limits of smaller fish, there's a natural tendency to hunt for and catch true trophy fish. Some days you will get skunked, but there are many days when the efforts and tactics of bigger tackle will produce "Big Bass". Big Bass as defined by me: Over 10 pounds - Largemouth Over 6 pounds - Samllmouth. (congrats on the 11 pounder, a true achievement by a true fisherman) :)
Every boy should have two things: a dog, and a mother willing to let him have one.

#4 Mr Del

Mr Del

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 30 October 2010 - 04:18 PM

Stick with your brothers tactics, and get rid of your light tackle and fly rod. You are 100 per cent correct. As a guide I fished for fish, not just the trophy fish.

#5 sixgun

sixgun

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 30 October 2010 - 07:08 PM

MrDel perhaps you misunderstood my question and the reason for this thread, I was asking about swimbaits and California Lakes >>> i've always wanted to try swim baits and the lakes you all have in Cali, anyone here have any experience with that sort of fishing ??Since you are a former fishing guide what experience or knowledge with swim baits can you share with us ?? Any tips - techniques - hints would be greatly appreciated. I am what I would consider a finesse fisherman, (light tackle and fly rod) and have been intrigued with swimbaits since I first heard of them a few years ago, and understood that they originated in California. What type of fishing outfit do you use? and what is your go-to lure ? I read in your post you like the Rapala. And had caught your biggest bass with a large Pop-R. I have had great success with that lure too but with smallmouth bass mostly. Fishing guides like yourself can be a gold mine of advice and information and often hold the best kept secrets.

#6 sixgun

sixgun

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 08:58 PM

Posted ImageByron Velvick, winner of the recent Elite Series event on Clear Lake. He is a king of swimbait fishing and one of the best at sight fishing.

#7 Mr Del

Mr Del

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 10:50 AM

There are many types of *swim baits*. Fat raps, spinner baits, jerk baits, lead head with plastic tails, one piece medals, etc. Fast and slow retrieve. Open water, heavy cover, wooded, vegetation. willows, stumps, tree falls, brush, etc. Shallow, deep retrieve. Up hill and down hill. Cold water, ice covered, streams, lakes, warm water, sunshine, shade, daytime or night fishing. Schooling fish, fish chasing bait. This about covers *swim baits* and where they can be used. A comment on sight fishing. This is normally used when fish are spawning and in clear shallow waters. You pitch a bait into the spawning bed and wait for the large female to *suck it up* to remove it from her bed. Then the angler sets the hook and lifts the large female into his boat with a very stiff rod with at least 20 pound test line. I NEVER like doing this and don't like poeple who brag about catching large fish using this method. Not a sporting way to fish. But it will bring in a heavy stringer during that time of the year. When the spawn in ON, I will not fish those tournaments mainly because I can not compete with *sight* fisherman.

#8 Tuolumne85

Tuolumne85

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 08:48 PM

Don Pedro is second only to clear lake on swim baits I have done this a few times but it is so slow and the conditions have to be right. There is a local guide here that is a big time swim bait guy and he catches monsters 15+Here's a link to him on YouTube http://www.youtube.c...be_gdata_player

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users