• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 rws fan

rws fan

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Interests:My kids, shootin' stuff, hunting, hiking, scenic beaches, weather, running, imported beer, science, technology, fast cars, fast women, guns etc.

Posted 27 October 2010 - 08:40 PM

So there is a bunch of pigeons that hangout behind my house that I sometimes shoot at when I'm bored...Today i decided to shoot at some targets at the backyard and I see the flock land. I try compensating for the distance and after the 5th shot, I see one fall! My previous longest kill was a crow at 82 yards! Wow I can't believe my old RWS 48 in .177 took it out using beeman kodiak match extra heavy pellets! Just thought I would share.....HenryTried to upload pictures but were tooo big.

#2 sixgun

sixgun

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 05:23 PM

that's amazing ... open sights? or iron? still a fantastic shot either way :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:

#3 Hutch

Hutch

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 07:51 PM

Before u try to upload, right click your pic and go to edit. You should be all to shrink it by a percentage

#4 rws fan

rws fan

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Interests:My kids, shootin' stuff, hunting, hiking, scenic beaches, weather, running, imported beer, science, technology, fast cars, fast women, guns etc.

Posted 28 October 2010 - 08:44 PM

Attached File  011.JPG   69.15KB   26 downloadsHope this works and the rifle is scoped.

#5 sixgun

sixgun

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 06:29 PM

good shooting rws fan, my best is around 40 or 50 yards, scope or no scope it's impressive what those springers will do :good:

#6 yoteblaster

yoteblaster

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts
  • Interests:Huntin' yotes, Huntin', fishin', Atv'n, Campin', shootin'Military history

Posted 29 October 2010 - 06:47 PM

Trying not to play devils advocate...too much...was that inside city limits? check the regs brother...dont let the city neighbors hear or see ya, or the "sheriff" will be on your case!

#7 rws fan

rws fan

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 07:01 PM

The san bernardino mountains are basically my backyard :good: and I also have my hunting license.

#8 sixgun

sixgun

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 30 October 2010 - 11:41 AM

years ago when i was a youngster it was pretty common to see kids get on bus with their pellet/BB guns and go shooting/hunting out past the city limits, today you'd be in some serious trouble for even attempting that sort of thing, how times have changed - glad to hear you have easy access to shoot/hunt rwsfan

#9 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,674 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 30 October 2010 - 11:56 AM

Along the lines of what yoteblaster was saying. This is where they usually can hang you.Section 3004. (a) It is unlawful for any person, other than the owner,person in possession of the premises, or a person having the expresspermission of the owner or person in possession of the premises, tohunt or to discharge while hunting, any firearm or other deadlyweapon within 150 yards of any occupied dwelling house, residence, orother building or any barn or other outbuilding used in connectiontherewith. The 150-yard area is a "safety zone." ( B ) It is unlawful for any person to intentionally discharge anyfirearm or release any arrow or crossbow bolt over or across anypublic road or other established way open to the public in an unsafeand reckless manner.That means any neighbors house and the street and includes airguns too. Be careful. :)

#10 rws fan

rws fan

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 30 October 2010 - 03:40 PM

So I just got back from the Lytle Creek Ranger Station called the Cajon Ranger Station so I could find out info on my hunting/shooting practices. They told me to just come up here since I have my license and it's 15 mins from my house. They told me they got band-tailed pigeons, cotton-tails, jacks and even turkey (season permitting) for me since I shoot airguns primarily. Guess I'll be going there. They also gave me a target shooting areas map and a visitors guide with a bunch of info. They also asked to help prevent unintended lead poisoning of wildlife scavengers by using lead-free ammo....Henry

#11 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts
  • Interests:Bass fishing,Kayaking,Airgun hunting

Posted 31 October 2010 - 07:36 AM

I've shot crows to 75 yards with PCP...can't imagine a pigeon at 129.. wow. Longest on a squirrel was 96 yards...but conditions were near perfect..no wind..and that was my Disco .22 (26 FPE at muzzle) using JSB 14.3 gr..so impact on squirrel was near 9 Ft/lbs energy...

#12 Hot Brass

Hot Brass

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 11:19 AM

Great shot.

#13 DKOwen

DKOwen

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 12:31 AM

I try compensating for the distance and after the 5th shot, I see one fall! My previous longest kill was a crow at 82 yards!

Long shots are exciting for sure when they connect. I once shot a Ground Squirrel at about that range, fool stopped next to the rock I'd ranged in and shot 15 minutes before.......Such shots can have other issues worth considering besides being legal. Perhaps chief amongst them is 'where did those other four pellets come down?'. You've just proven they still had dangerous energy available, they had to come down somewhere...... Perhaps in this case this was safe, but it is important to keep it in mind. Let's not forget 'rule number 3', be sure of your target and what's beyond.Good hunting.Doug Owen

#14 THE KNOT

THE KNOT

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 04:18 PM

sweet shooting

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users