• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ZombieHunter

ZombieHunter

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
  • Interests:Tweaking my Suzuki Samurai (hunting/trail rig), spending time plinking and teaching the kids how to shoot, learning new and different ways of being successful in the field.<br /><br />Outside of hunting and camping, I'm an avid Bears fan and business owner.

Posted 22 October 2010 - 04:57 AM

Okay, so I asked a good friend yesterday who was going by the Sportsman's Warehouse in Roseville to pick me up some of the 58 grain Hornaday rounds for my .243 so we could go shooting this weekend. Turns out I get to go back today and negotiate (with a receipt) a swap of ammo. He found the rounds I wanted, but they only came in Moly coating. I don't have access to a tumbler else I would keep the rounds so I am at somewhat of an impasse.My .243 is going to be my coyote/bobcat rifle with the occasional "insert random varmint here" coming into the scope. I have a .270 that serves as my big game rifle so I won't need any loads capable of hunting larger animals. One round, small game, bang-flop... If I can't snag some Hornaday rounds without the Moly (pretty sure I won't find those there), what do you guys recommend I pick up, or should I look at a tumbler?The thing with me is that I'm not opposed to reloading, I just have never done so nor do I have any of the equipment. I shoot winchester ballistic silvertips with my .270 and I still have fail safes for the 7mm mag (this gun is serious business with those loads) so if I did look to reload it would only really be for the .243.I may at some point want to look to skin and tan some of the more prime yotes and bobcats, so I don't want to put an exit hole that I could park a car in. From the experiences of those that have gone before, what do you guys suggest?
~BubbaZombie Hunter ExtraordinaireMaking the dead even more dead since 2009 "Do your best??? Losers always talk about doing their best. Winners go home and @*&$ the prom queen!" - Sean Connery

#2 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,811 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting ,and hog hunting with my dogs.

Posted 22 October 2010 - 01:08 PM

JMHO but you are missing the benefit of the 6mm caliber with 58 grain bullets. Go with the 70 to 85 grain stuff. Plenty of velocity , great accuracy and bucks the heavy grass and wind better. A 75 grain v-max or hollow point is perfect.

#3 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,695 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 22 October 2010 - 01:33 PM

I would agree with ehd a 75gr will do better in all conditions.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#4 ZombieHunter

ZombieHunter

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
  • Interests:Tweaking my Suzuki Samurai (hunting/trail rig), spending time plinking and teaching the kids how to shoot, learning new and different ways of being successful in the field.<br /><br />Outside of hunting and camping, I'm an avid Bears fan and business owner.

Posted 22 October 2010 - 03:56 PM

I noticed the Winchester Supreme line has the ballistic silvertips at 55g that scream out of the barrel at 3900fps. They also make a 95g round that I assume would suffice for small bucks, but do just as good on the predators. I've had luck (and have faith) in Winchester supremes because that's what I push through the larger bore rifles.Who makes the v-max? The rings for the xbolt don't arrive till Monday so I'm in no hurry to get rounds since I can't aim until I mount my glass.
~BubbaZombie Hunter ExtraordinaireMaking the dead even more dead since 2009 "Do your best??? Losers always talk about doing their best. Winners go home and @*&$ the prom queen!" - Sean Connery

#5 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,695 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 22 October 2010 - 05:23 PM

Hornady makes the v-max.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#6 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,811 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting ,and hog hunting with my dogs.

Posted 22 October 2010 - 05:27 PM

remington accu-tip is actually a V-max bullet. Very good ammo

#7 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

Tikka Shooter, and a bad shot at that.

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,802 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 05:28 PM

If the .243 is your Bobcat / Coyote rifle and you want to save fur... Buy extra thread..
“Fathom the hypocrisy of a government that require every citizen to prove they are insured... but not everyone must prove they are a citizen.”

#8 ZombieHunter

ZombieHunter

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 06:08 PM

I thought about that Ornery, but I wanted to buy one rifle that I could use during pred season and that the wife could handle during deer season. .243 seemed to be the lowest caliber that could double dip...If it means I get to teach mice how to sew, I guess I'll be investing in some thread this winter B)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users