22 replies to this topic

#1 nitis

nitis

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 02:02 PM

Ok I have come to the poing where I really do not need any more bolt actions. So I have gotten teh itch to explore teh black gun.I would like to use this for coyotes and plinking but mostly coyotes.should I buy something complete or build? IF I knew what I was doing I say build one but I just dont know enough about these to do it. What I am going to like and dislike etc.Also I really like the R-15s from remington. Am I right in understanding that all you have to do is get the bullet button installed on it prior to having it shipped into California to your FFL?And finally is there anyone in the stockton or foothill area who is not going to stick it to me for transfer fees if I do order one in? The only ones I know are either really high on their fee ( last I heard almost 100 bucks) or are making you pay the sales tax ( that thing we are supposed to claim at the end of the year)Is there a list of parts some place that someone has I could look at to see what I need to spend?

#2 Bronco

Bronco

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts
  • Interests:Hunting i.e. deer, varmints, yotes. Target Shooting, Trap Shooting.

Posted 16 October 2010 - 04:32 PM

First off you are correct you will need a Bullet button on your black riffle unless you go feature less. Contact Ryan at JK supply in Ione. He is a great guy to work with and is very "black rifle" friendly FFL. I've done many transactions with him. 209.274.2383If that doesn't work out for you try Tracy Rifle and Pistol. Mike doesn't charge sales tax as that is your responsiblity and his transfer fees are $40 + dros. (209) 833-9100
Posted ImagePosted ImageNRA Member

#3 winxp_man

winxp_man

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 06:26 PM

here is one that I own i shoot .5 MOA groups with good reloads :good:Posted Image
Shoot to Kill not to wound !

#4 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts
  • Interests:God, family & country. Predator hunting, shooting, reloading.

Posted 17 October 2010 - 08:06 AM

That is a sweet looking scope. Is that a Hawke tactical? If it is, how do you like the scope?
"Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room." Winston Churchill

#5 fyrewil

fyrewil

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 08:24 AM

If you dont mind sharing... What is your load work up?Thanks

#6 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 10:29 AM

If you are a mechanical type of guy, building an accurate AR is relatively easy and you will end up with a rifle that is more accurate and less expensive that an off-the-shelf version. Building your own will also give you the opportunity to totally customize it from one end to the other. There are some great books out there and also many, many illustrations on several AR oriented web sites. In my personal opinion, the most important accuracy factor is the barrel you choose. Depending upon what your intended purpose is, that will determine barrel weight, twist rate, etc. You don't need a "heavy" barrel for accuracy unless you plan on shooting prairie dogs all day long. A heavy barrel will be much too much work to lug around in the field all day.Building your own AR is really fun and the satisfaction of building your own, accurate rifle feels good. If you e-mail me, I will even send you some parts lists. red@redhunterllc.com Midway USA also has upper and lower parts lists. For instance, here is a parts list and article about building your own .204 AR upper. There are alternative parts and suppliers to the ones stated on the Midway article. You can purchase complete upper receivers, etc.It's really fun and you'll have a good time doing it.
"Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room." Winston Churchill

#7 acousticmood

acousticmood

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 03:54 PM

I'd like to do this too. The first thing I'm thinking of getting is the receiver. How important is the choice of the receiver to the rest of the build?

#8 Red Dog

Red Dog

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 05:36 PM

Acoustic, I suppose you're thinking of the lower receiver (there is also the upper receiver). The lower is not particular to the upper just so long as it is for an AR-15 and not an AR-10. (AR-10's are for larger calibers like a .308). The accuracy will come from your barreled upper receiver.

#9 acousticmood

acousticmood

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 07:05 PM

Right - the lower receiver. That's the part that is considered a firearm yes?

#10 Yodel Dog

Yodel Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Interests:Guns and hunting, fishing when I can.

Posted 17 October 2010 - 07:12 PM

Correct. The lower receiver is a firearm.

#11 winxp_man

winxp_man

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 03:16 PM

That is a sweet looking scope. Is that a Hawke tactical? If it is, how do you like the scope?

Actually thats a Vortex scope, but I dont really like like it I might order another Hawke 4.5-14x42 for it then I will end up with three of the same scopes.

#12 winxp_man

winxp_man

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 03:23 PM

If you dont mind sharing... What is your load work up?Thanks

I will post some loads when I go through my book.

#13 homemade

homemade

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 09:48 AM

You can go buy the striped lower receiver from a store do all the paperwork then when you get it you can buy everything else online.

#14 winxp_man

winxp_man

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 01:35 PM

The lowers can be bought online also if your FFL accepts lowers from out of state. Spikes Tactical has some really cheap lowers I seen them as low as 99 dollars shipped. As for the upper what kind of uppers you like ? for target or for hunting ? is weight an issue ? bull barrel or standards barrel ?

#15 nitis

nitis

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 07:42 PM

Ok since the stripped lower is a variable seeing how some places have them cheaper than others and some places charge more for transfers etc.how much am I looking at for a complete lower? is it as basic as a 55 dollar lower assy kit and stock of my choice?As for an upper I am going for an overall lightweight build for coyotes and am actually considering a 6x45. Being and oldschool bolt guy I think the longer the barrel teh better but with a round like teh 223 and 6x45 they are not built for speed per say.I am open to suggestion and very impressionable

#16 winxp_man

winxp_man

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 02:01 AM

yes you would want to order the lower by its self not completly built. Then you order what every lower parts kits you want and the stock you want. RRA also has a lower parts kit with a National Match trigger in the kit for 124.00 online most places. As for uppers I'm not sure about the 6x45 if there are any upper made for that round unless you custom order it like that. you planning on getting a custom upper ? or are you building it yourself ? or is whats on the market for a complete upper fine for you ?

#17 Heywood

Heywood

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 06:55 AM

It's hard to beat this price for a complete lower. Or even this price on a stripped.

#18 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 08:10 AM

I have built my 6.5 Grendel and my 223 using Spike's Tactical lowers. Both were well finished and all parts assembled perfectly. They also mated up nice and snug to the uppers. I like Spike's gear because the value & quality is there and their prices are reasonable.

#19 winxp_man

winxp_man

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 10:37 AM

It's hard to beat this price for a complete lower. Or even this price on a stripped.

Most states will not bother with putting on a bullet button and shipping to CA thats why I said buy a stripped lower because its not required to have a bullet button installed if there are no parts installed in the lower.

#20 Bronco

Bronco

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts
  • Interests:Hunting i.e. deer, varmints, yotes. Target Shooting, Trap Shooting.

Posted 20 October 2010 - 11:28 AM

I've used Stag, Spikes, Grizzly and DelTon lowers. Really not much different except maybe finish.
Posted ImagePosted ImageNRA Member

#21 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
  • Interests:Hunting....Predators, Varmints and Upland Game but would like to try larger game.
    Computers....It's what i do for a living and sometimes for fun.
    Movies
    Spending time with the Family

Posted 20 October 2010 - 12:01 PM

While you can build your own upper, I know most folks just buy an upper already completed. The upper is the expensive part of the AR and you could build it yourself and find it's not that accurate. For the use you are talking about, I think the Predator Pursuit from RRA would be PERFECT. It is proven to be accurate, lightweight and reliable. As for the lower you choose, functionally an inexpensive $75 stripped lower is gonna perform the same as a $300 POF Billet lower. I have built over a half dozen lowers and the first one is the hardest (but it's not hard). After the first one, itís pretty easy. You can usually save a bit of $$ by building yourself. One last thing, I would plan on upgrading the trigger to either a 2-stage from RRA or a Timney. You should be able to find a 2-stage for around $95 and the Timneys are usually double that. The triggers in the factory kits are HORRENDOUS.Follow the info provided in this thread and you should be fine:http://www.californi...?showtopic=7147
Posted ImageA well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

#22 Heywood

Heywood

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 04:49 PM

Most states will not bother with putting on a bullet button and shipping to CA thats why I said buy a stripped lower because its not required to have a bullet button installed if there are no parts installed in the lower.

They don't need to install a BB, just remove the pistol grip and it's compliant. Most shops will do that, it's the larger distributors that probably wouldn't.

#23 rdsii64

rdsii64

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 12:01 PM

I know this is an old thread but I just found it. I built my own lower and purchased a finished RRA upper. On thing to consider, depending on the brand you may get your build done faster if you acquire the parts and build the upper. I have heard many a tale of folks waiting months for their completed upper to be shipped. A third rout would be to try to find a stocking retailer that has one in stock. Thats How I got my RRA predator pursuit upper deliver in 72 hrs instead of months. the lions share of the companies don't stock completed uppers. they build it when you order it. With so many folks ordering uppers they can run months behind. Just remember there is no known cure for black rifle disease.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users