• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,659 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 14 October 2010 - 06:56 PM

Well, my girls are producing eggs faster than I can find ways to use them. So at an average of 16 eggs a day and sixteen dozen sitting in the refrigerator I had to come up with a plan. So since I love pickled eggs it seemed the way to go and they've become a Big favorite with everyone that has tried them. Other than the fact you have to let the eggs sit in the refrigerator for two weeks before you hard boil them (they don't peel well if you boil them sooner). After two weeks the egg has shrunken slightly and the shell comes off much easier without tearing the egg. I've tried a couple of pickled egg recipes and have a fairly simple spicy one now that everybody seems to like. In fact I have an order for 12 dozen for a friends duck club I'm starting to fill.We collect the eggs from the hen house and hunt for some hidden one around my horse stalls and one of my boats. It seems my Ameracuna chickens like to play Easter egg hunt and being their eggs are the blueish and green eggs I guess that's fitting. They're just a more wild bird I guess. But I'm slowly teaching them to all use the nest boxes in the coup.

Posted Image

The eggs go into boxes to be aged the required two weeks. You can see the varied colors of my birds eggs. All of my birds are free range they have a half acre of grass and another quarter acre of garden to roam around in and eat grass and bugs along with their organic feed.

Posted Image

Here are two jars of twelve all spiced and ready to go into the refrigerator. My next batch will be canned to store longer but either way they are ready to start eating in four days.

Posted Image

Posted Image

The best thing about these eggs is how dark orange the yokes are. They are also lower in cholesterol and just plain yummy.

#2 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts
  • Interests:God, family & country. Predator hunting, shooting, reloading.

Posted 14 October 2010 - 07:20 PM

You are such a tease. They look great.

#3 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,949 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 07:36 PM

Those look really good. I like pickled eggs but my wife hates them because I play dutch oven after eating a bunch of them.

#4 Yodel Dog

Yodel Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Interests:Guns and hunting, fishing when I can.

Posted 14 October 2010 - 09:19 PM

Those are looking good. I need to make another batch, I think I'll try your spicy recipe this time.

#5 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 09:28 PM

That looks amazing! yum :drinks:

#6 HOG

HOG

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 05:24 AM

John, you make me home sick. I have fond memories of my Dad putting up pickled eggs in beets.

#7 Jeff

Jeff

SacramentoSkullWorks

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 06:39 AM

John, did I ever mention that my pickled quail eggs turned out fantastic (despite the difficulty I had in peeling them)? Well, there's a only a jar or two left now and the quail are done laying for the season, so next year my plan is to do a whole bunch more. Your pickled eggs look goooood!! :drinks: Oh, and my Jersey Giant turned out to be an Australorp. But, my son calls her Jersey anyway.

#8 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,659 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 08:06 AM

These are so easy to make I would recommend even making them with the cheapest store bought eggs. I just happen to have an at the moment ever growing supply of delicious eggs at the moment.Steve, I made some beet pickled eggs and I'll show the next bunch I make. The eggs come out so magenta colored they look really neat and I think taste great. My wife hates beets and says she hates their smell. But I just make them when she is gone and hide them in my outdoor refrigerator. I had never tried dill pickle eggs until I saw a recipe for them. Just drop peeled hard boiled eggs into the pickle jar as you eat the pickles, they were awesome.Jeff, your Jersey Giant turning out to be an Australorp I can identify with. Just like four of my hens turning out to be roosters. :drinks: My Australorps are great chickens. They can be very friendly. I have one "Pepper" that is always up on me. She's a BIG bird too.

#9 MikeNC

MikeNC

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 09:24 AM

My wife hates beets and says she hates their smell.

...Them eggs look great John, after downing a few of them...letting them digest a couple hours; well, your wife will be relishing the smell of beets :drinks: :smiley-outta-here:

#10 Jason

Jason

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, camping, scuba diving, American Revolution living history, fishing, ham radio.

Posted 15 October 2010 - 09:35 AM

I've never had one but they sure look darn good everytime someone posts pictures on here or talks about them.

#11 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,659 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 10:57 AM

...Them eggs look great John, after downing a few of them...letting them digest a couple hours; well, your wife will be relishing the smell of beets :lol: :lol:

But they're good for high blood pressure. :smiley-outta-here: :drinks:

Consumption of pickled eggs have been linked to unpleasant smelling intestinal gas. Eggs as well as meat, cabbage, and cauliflower contain large concentrations of sulfur which are metabolized by intestinal flora into hydrogen sulfide and mercaptans. These compounds are what give flatus its disagreeable odor. However, new research seems to indicate that the production of hydrogen sulfide may have a positive effect on hypertension.

#12 handgun

handgun

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Interests:Guns and Dogs

Posted 15 October 2010 - 06:32 PM

SJ, I can be at your house in about an hour and I will gladly pay $10 for a dozen of your finest pickled gems!!! :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow: maybe you need some yard work done???

#13 Heywood

Heywood

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 07:23 PM

Other than the fact you have to let the eggs sit in the refrigerator for two weeks before you hard boil them (they don't peel well if you boil them sooner). After two weeks the egg has shrunken slightly and the shell comes off much easier without tearing the egg.

John you need to use this method to remove the shell :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:

#14 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts
  • Interests:Im a full time taxidermist and I LOVE Hunting- coyotes, bobcat, bear, boar, elk, deer etc..

Posted 15 October 2010 - 08:28 PM

Awwwwww you make me miss my chickens!! Loved the fresh eggs! I used to boil mine fresh and then immediately put them in ice cold water til completely cool then shell them... Worked for me..

#15 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,355 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 07:20 AM

Looks good. those brown eggs bring back memories when I was a kid that's all we eat they sure have some dark yokes.

#16 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,814 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 16 October 2010 - 07:35 AM

Yep, I remember as a kid we had to collect the eggs every morning. Usually about 200 of them. Then bring them in, wash all of them, candle them to find any with blood spots, weigh them and box them up for sale. We only ate the double yoke eggs! Boy were they good to. And as you said, really dark yellow yokes.

#17 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,659 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 08:05 AM

John you need to use this method to remove the shell :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:

Dave, I tried that method this morning. We used three eggs one right from the nest box, one a week old and the third two weeks old. I used different colored eggs to be sure which was which. The two week old egg shot right out of the shell. I almost shot it across the kitchen but managed to catch it. The one week old egg came out a little worse for wear slightly tearing the white and I still had to peel. The fresh egg, well have you ever hurt your cheeks trying to blow up a balloon? Lets just say I'll let them set in the frig for awhile. :lol:

#18 4RHUNTS

4RHUNTS

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts
  • Interests:Hunting for varmints, two and four legged varieties, deer, pigs, birds, reloading, and fishing.

Posted 16 October 2010 - 08:20 AM

John, have you posted the recipe for the spicy ones? I'd like to try it. Our Delawares are overflowing our household with eggs.Frank

#19 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,659 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 09:07 AM

Yes here is our old favorite. The reason being you can them and they keep longer. But read below and see our new quick recipe that you can start eating in four days.Spicy Pickled Eggs* 12 eggs* 1 quart vinegar* 6 cloves garlic* 1 tablespoon white peppercorns* 1 tablespoon allspice berries* 1-3 slice fresh ginger rootDirections:Prep Time: 18 minsTotal Time: 58 mins1. Place eggs in saucepan and cover with water.2. When water begins to boil, remove from heat and cover.3. Let eggs sit in hot water for 18 minutes.4. Cool in cold water and peel.5. In a saucepan, combine vinegar, garlic, peppercorns, allspice and sliced ginger.6. Simmer for 10 minutes.7. Place eggs in sterilized jars.8. Pour vinegar mixture over eggs.9. (You may strain vinegar, if desired.) Seal and place jars in preserving pan with rack.10. Water should cover jars with at least 1-inch of water above tops of jars.11. Bring water to a boil; cover and boil for 10 minutes.12. Remove jars and cool.13. Check seals.14. Store about one month before opening. New recipe:Total time 30 mins from start. * 1 dozen hard boiled eggs, peeled * 1 onion, sliced * 1 clove garlic, cut in half * 1 bay leaf (optional) * 1 Tbsp. mixed picking spice * 1 tsp. red pepper flakes * 2 Tbsp. pickling salt * 2 cups white vinegar * 1 glass quart jar with lid * I like to add a few slices of pickled jalapeno peppers but you don't need themHow to make itCombine vinegar and salt in a sauce pan and heat until salt is completely dissolved.Layer eggs, onions and spices in jar.Pour hot vinegar carefully over eggs. ( cover eggs completely, adding cold vinegar if necessary. )Place lid on jar and allow to come to room temperature.Refrigerate for 4 days before using.Using red onions turns the eggs pale pink.

#20 4RHUNTS

4RHUNTS

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts
  • Interests:Hunting for varmints, two and four legged varieties, deer, pigs, birds, reloading, and fishing.

Posted 16 October 2010 - 11:11 AM

Thanks John.

#21 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,355 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 12:37 PM

You guys are making want to raise chickens now LOLI don't think I ever ate a pickled egg.

#22 Heywood

Heywood

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 12:56 PM

.. I used different colored eggs to be sure which was which...

I think I see the problem here John. You need to be using eggs from chickens and not the Easter bunny! :good: Oh well it was worth a shot. Do you look like Dizzy Gillespie now?

#23 MikeNC

MikeNC

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 03:08 AM

I just copied your recipe John and will give them a try....love them things, but seldom have them. My wife will hate both of us :pirashoot: I saw this on utube and thought of your peeling dilemma....Maybe this is BS, but you never know from utube. Sometimes a little chemistry and chemical reaction does good things....

#24 airgunny

airgunny

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 05:04 PM

I believe I need to try this. I can eat deviled eggs until I have a stomach ache.The first time I had hard boiled quail eggs I was chomping them like potato chips.My wife once had hens. they accidently became food for her pitbull. :cheers:

#25 HOG

HOG

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 05:36 AM

Steve, I made some beet pickled eggs and I'll show the next bunch I make. The eggs come out so magenta colored they look really neat and I think taste great. My wife hates beets and says she hates their smell. But I just make them when she is gone and hide them in my outdoor refrigerator. I had never tried dill pickle eggs until I saw a recipe for them. Just drop peeled hard boiled eggs into the pickle jar as you eat the pickles, they were awesome.

John, Are you sure you wife does not have morning sickness from the "smell" of beets? :cheers: With putting eggs is used pickle juice......I've done the same thing with garlic.....you gotta love garlic!

#26 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,833 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 18 October 2010 - 08:32 PM

Ok Im even going to try this.

#27 Bennie

Bennie

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,919 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Shooting.

Posted 18 October 2010 - 10:56 PM

Thanks John for the recipie gotta give them a try

1 user(s) are reading this topic