#1 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts
  • Interests:Bass fishing,Kayaking,Airgun hunting

Posted 14 October 2010 - 06:18 PM

I finally got out hunting ground squirrels with my new 40X scope...this guy at 50 yards never had a chance...as you know,this scope has a field of vision of 1.4 feet at 100 yards..anyway,dropped him with my Dominator HPA .22 cal using JSB 15.9 gr...Posted ImagePosted Image

#2 acousticmood

acousticmood

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 06:25 PM

Nice shot!

#3 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,655 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 14 October 2010 - 07:00 PM

Now that's a SCOPE!

#4 ratassassin

ratassassin

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Interests:Handloading, hunting, target shooting.

Posted 14 October 2010 - 08:28 PM

Nice job, Crazyhorse. That's a fat squirrel you got there. I shot a few yesterday with my 17 HMR. Pretty explosive.

#5 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 07:48 AM

Next week I'll get out where I can get some squirrels at longer ranges...already tested this rig to 85 yards...was able to keep pellets slighty under 1" groups , so should be able to pull off a shot without wounding a squeek..I'll be shooting 50 yard benchrest competition this Sunday...first time with this scope..

#6 Mr Del

Mr Del

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 08:52 AM

Crazy.... I never did doubt that you could kill with that scope. I was just saying it would be very hard to acquire the target, especially if it run a short distance like squeaks tend to do. If you can get them setting on top of rocks, stumps, post, that is a complete different story.Good luck on your competition coming up. Murph.

#7 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 01:43 PM

Crazy.... I never did doubt that you could kill with that scope. I was just saying it would be very hard to acquire the target, especially if it run a short distance like squeaks tend to do. If you can get them setting on top of rocks, stumps, post, that is a complete different story.Good luck on your competition coming up. Murph.

This one was moving every few seconds or so but jumped up on pole and minute he held still i air mailed a pellet to him..lol Was a bit tricky staying on him with scope,but not as bad as it would appear....I quickly adapted a 'system'..aquire target sighting down barrel with rifle layed over on it's side.....then bring up vertical looking thru scope...bore to center scope is 1.50"...

#8 Jason

Jason

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, camping, scuba diving, American Revolution living history, fishing, ham radio.

Posted 15 October 2010 - 01:47 PM

Wow! I bet you can zero in on a flea on the squirrel with that monster scope.

#9 THE KNOT

THE KNOT

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 05:17 AM

That setup has got to be a load of fun out in the field i can't see vermin having a chance at survival nice shooting

#10 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 08:43 AM

That setup has got to be a load of fun out in the field i can't see vermin having a chance at survival nice shooting

Fun,but focus does not go below 50 yards...there are areas I hunt squirrels that require mostly 50 yard + shots,and I use it in those areas...got a hunt coming up soon where ground squirrels have burrows all over the place in over 100 acres of pasture land on an indian reservation.....My friend uses a Crosman NPSS .177 and drops them out to 60 yards using a cheap 3x9x40 mil dot..he is a very good springer shooter...I shoot HPA guns mostly using 6-24 Varmit scopes, so plan on rigging up a camera tri-pod to shoot with the 40X so I can 'traverse' the flat terrain easier shooting squirrels...tripod will help to 'mitigate' the small field of view...Some pics from our last hunt there..Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#11 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,355 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 04:33 PM

I can't seem to hit very good with my springer past 30 why is that ?

#12 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,655 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 19 October 2010 - 06:57 PM

Most likely the recoil of the spring. It takes lots of practice to overcome its effect.

#13 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 06:49 AM

I can't seem to hit very good with my springer past 30 why is that ?

Might be the 'hold' you are using......use very light grip with shooting hand..very important for ANY rifle....and use 'open palm' rest on forestock...the NPSS shoots smoother than 'metal' spring guns,but still has that 'reverse' recoil...so the hold is the solution to accuracy in spring guns.....

#14 Hutch

Hutch

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 07:16 AM

Airgunning looks like so much fun.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users