9 replies to this topic

#1 outdoorsguy29

outdoorsguy29

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 01:04 PM

I read in a magazine where a couple chose polymer tactical thigh holsters for their revolvers. I am currently having trouble finding out who makes that particular critter for my Taurus 608. Their reasoning was that it was in a convenient location, out of the way of backpacks, and rifles. Any body else got an opinion? know where I can find such a holster in polymer?

#2 D-Man

D-Man

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 06:35 PM

Consider a shoulder holster. Stays out of the way of a pack and your rifle.Darren
Blessed be the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle; - Psalms 144:1
Fellow Team Savage member and Team Ruger! Semper Fidelis!
NRA Certified Instructor / Multi-state CCW Instructor

#3 4RHUNTS

4RHUNTS

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts
  • Interests:Hunting for varmints, two and four legged varieties, deer, pigs, birds, reloading, and fishing.

Posted 14 October 2010 - 06:50 PM

When I carry a handgun while wearing a back pack, I slide the holster on the pack's waist belt. Never cared for the thigh holsters. Always too loose fitting for me.

#4 CHIN SQUIRREL

CHIN SQUIRREL

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Interests:Coyote hunting, trout fishing, geocaching, and exploring.

Posted 15 October 2010 - 04:18 PM

I've got quite a few holsters, all for the same sidearm. Which holster I used depended on what I thought I would be up against that day. The thigh holster was nice for sitting in a vehicle all day. It kept my piece out of the way of things like the seat belt. It was never too good for running though. It seemed to make me run funky, which was not too fun during the occasional foot pursuit. If I was to go out plinking in the boonies or thought that I might end up chasing after somebody on foot, I'd probably just take a leather belt holster, unless if I was wearing a pack. That ain't too comfortable, so no thanks. I think that the shoulder rig would probably be much more user friendly while humping a ruck. The thigh rig would work too, but hope that you don't have to go running after anything or anybody. Hopping fences was no fun with the shoulder rig. Running with it wasn't too fun either, the pistol used to slap me in the ribs. I'd say this, sit down for a few minutes and ask yourself what you will be up against. Weight the pros and the cons. Go with the best choice for your situation. You might end up with more than one holster, as I did. I've chased a lot more people than I have animals, which has always been a factor in my holster purchasing decisions. I personally like Galco, Bianchi, and Safariland (you might want to check with them for the tactical thigh rig). Hopefully I'll get to chase a whole lot more animals now that my people chasing days are over, at least for the time being...

Edited by CHIN SQUIRREL, 15 October 2010 - 04:29 PM.

I'd rather be fishing with my son.

#5 outdoorsguy29

outdoorsguy29

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 12:14 PM

Hmmm you might have a point. If in a vehicle or horseback riding I would consider a crossdraw but on foot something that would be out of the way of rifle or back pack & that is where I think the thigh holster has a place. If it's on tight then it shouldn't move around to much.

#6 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
  • Interests:Hunting....Predators, Varmints and Upland Game but would like to try larger game.
    Computers....It's what i do for a living and sometimes for fun.
    Movies
    Spending time with the Family

Posted 20 October 2010 - 12:22 PM

I used a thigh rig in the military and hated it. Just moved around too much or had to be so tight it was uncomfortable and kind of threw me off balance (what chin was talking about when running). I prefer a hip paddle holster when I don't have a pack. With a pack I would go with shoulder or possibly pack mounted depending on your setup.
Posted ImageA well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

#7 Baja_Traveler

Baja_Traveler

Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 01:21 PM

I pack mount my P220 on the Eberlestock, and it is comfortable as all get out. Sits a bit higher than usual, so fast draw it aint, but it's right there when its needed.Posted Image

If you can get arrested for hunting or fishing without a license, but not for being in the country illegally,… you might live in a country founded by geniuses but run by idiots.

#8 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,057 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 03:02 PM

That looks like a nice setup Baja. I have a bladetech for my P220 that I have set low so that I can reach it without the waist straps getting in the way but I'm not totally happy with it as the rifle hits it. Perhaps the scabbard is an idea I should try. A lot of the deer I see here are gone before you can get your rifle up and check for legal head gear. How fast can you draw your rifle from your pack? I imagine you don't have one in the chamber when you carry this way, do you?Thanks

#9 Baja_Traveler

Baja_Traveler

Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 07:16 PM

I only pack the rifle when I'm hiking into or out of an area, when I'm actively hunting the rifle is always out since I do mostly spot and stalk - a carry over from bowhunting. (though with the longbow it is mostly Spot & Spook)...

If you can get arrested for hunting or fishing without a license, but not for being in the country illegally,… you might live in a country founded by geniuses but run by idiots.

#10 keale73

keale73

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 06:34 PM

Probably going to have to get a "universal" type holster with a platform. Great way to carry if you do a lot of glassing or prone shooting

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users