4 replies to this topic

#1 jeepcreep

jeepcreep

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 08:59 AM

Hey,So I want to take my dad fishing this weekend. I live in Sonoma County and he is in the east bay. I was thinking of heading to the american river, but would love to stay a little closer to home. Russian river maybe? Any suggestions would be great, locations and or lures or bait advice.Thank you!Spencer

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,297 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 13 October 2010 - 09:13 AM

I assume you are talking about the upper American River? Crickets, worms, power bait, salmon eggs or small spinners or flatfish work well.The Russian River is artificial only with barbless hooks so just make sure any lures you have with you all have barbless hooks.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#3 jeepcreep

jeepcreep

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 09:30 AM

I assume you are talking about the upper American River? Crickets, worms, power bait, salmon eggs or small spinners or flatfish work well.The Russian River is artificial only with barbless hooks so just make sure any lures you have with you all have barbless hooks.

To tell you the truth John, I have no idea about upper or lower American River, we were in Tahoe this last weekend and fished the Truckee river a little and kinda got the itch to do some more fishing. As for the Russian River, I wouldn't mind staying a little closer to home, are there any areas you could recomend? Is there anything biting right now?Thanks again.

#4 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,297 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 13 October 2010 - 09:40 AM

I haven't fished the Russian River since I lived down there thirty years ago. We fished salmon and steelhead back then.By upper American River I meant above Lake Natoma and Folsom Lake. It sounds like that's what you had in mind too. All of the fish are pretty much planted in there anymore so they bite on just about whatever you throw at them. Of course that depends on other fisherman and how much they've been fished. But I've never had a problem wrangling a few out no matter how bad it was.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#5 jeepcreep

jeepcreep

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 07:34 AM

Hey John.So I did a little looking around on the internet last night and I guess the steelhead are suppose to be having some activity right now. They keep saying something about the "lower part" of the river, but I can't seem to find where exactly the lower part starts. Anyway, I think I am going to give that a go then try the upper American in a couple weeks. I will let ya know how it goes.Thanks again for the info.-Spencer-

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users