• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ratassassin

ratassassin

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,719 posts
  • Interests:Handloading, hunting, target shooting.

Posted 11 October 2010 - 10:56 AM

Just for fun, I decided to work up a lightweight, high speed varmint load for my .308 Howa 1500. It has a 24" stainless steel heavy barrel with 1:12" twist, Timney 1.5 lb trigger and Bell & Carlson Medalist stock. Yesterday, I tested out Sierra's Varminter hollow point 110 grain with H335 which was recommended in the Sierra reloading manual for their preferred hunting load. Although it's got a low BC, it's an accurate sub-MOA bullet according to the reviews on MidwayUSA. My best group so far was 5 shots in .642" center to center at 100 yards. Here's the best load so far:Sierra Varminter HP 110 grain (.308 Win)Powder: H335 45.3 grainsBrass: LC 1x fired, full length sized military brass, chamfered, deburred, primer pocket uniformedPrimer: CCI 200 Large Rifle PrimerCOAL: 2.600"MV: Estimated 3150 fps (I haven't chronned it yet)Next round of tests will refine the load further and also play around with seating depths since 2.600" is a pretty short COAL for .308 and leaves a long jump to the lands. Posted Image

#2 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 11 October 2010 - 02:27 PM

We've used the 110gr v-max for a few years now in the 30-30's and absolutely love them for rabbits and such. Even with open sights, the little 30-30 is like a death ray on small game at 100 yards. Little bullets in big cases with next to no recoil, you gotta love it.

#3 ratassassin

ratassassin

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,719 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 03:05 PM

Yeah, the recoil is pretty light with these loads. A lot of fun to shoot. I want to try the 110 gr V-Max, too.

#4 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 12 October 2010 - 11:01 PM

While I've had great luck with the v-max, I can say that the 110gr round nose for use in the .30 carbines have given me shotgun patterns in the 30-30 and 30-06's. I'd definitely stick with pointed bullets if I were you. Best of luck to ya.

#5 ratassassin

ratassassin

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,719 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 04:10 AM

Thanks for the tips, Bisley. I'll keep that in mind. I plan to pick up a couple boxes of V-Max 110 gr when Midsouth has them back in stock. (Midsouth is about $2 cheaper per box than everywhere else.)Here's a video of a 110 gr V-Max hitting a melon.

#6 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,356 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 10:52 AM

Try that load on a coyote it should work out good for you.cool video where did you get a camera like that?

#7 ratassassin

ratassassin

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,719 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 12:51 PM

Oh, I didn't make the video. Just found it on YouTube and thought it was cool since it shows what a .308 110 gr V-Max can do.

#8 ratassassin

ratassassin

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,719 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 08:12 PM

Did further load testing today. Timing my shots in the lulls between 20-40 mph wind gusts, I was able to get a 5-shot group of .617" center to center with 45.5 grains of H335 and 2.600" COAL. I loaded several sets with hotter loads and a longer COAL of 2.650" but accuracy deteriorated. So I'm going to stick with 45.5 grains H335 and 2.600" COAL as my final load for these Sierra 110 gr Varminters in my Howa. Still need to chron it but have to wait for a day when the wind won't blow my chron over.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users