• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 ZombieHunter

ZombieHunter

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
  • Interests:Tweaking my Suzuki Samurai (hunting/trail rig), spending time plinking and teaching the kids how to shoot, learning new and different ways of being successful in the field.<br /><br />Outside of hunting and camping, I'm an avid Bears fan and business owner.

Posted 10 October 2010 - 02:57 PM

I started with a 1987 Suzuki Samurai...and built a Zombie Hunter!Most of the work on here is custom, but I got some good help from the guys at Trail Tough in Medford, Oregon.The windshield folds down and I installed a 6:5 transfer case along with a rear driveline disconnect. Using that combined with the 2N option on the transfer case means I can flat tow this thing and free wheel both axles. It has come a long way in the time I've had her, but I can hunt out of her all day long and use about three gallons of fuel and I'm not worried about scratching the paintjob because it's not paint - it's actually OD textured bedliner painted over the entire body.Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
~BubbaZombie Hunter ExtraordinaireMaking the dead even more dead since 2009 "Do your best??? Losers always talk about doing their best. Winners go home and @*&$ the prom queen!" - Sean Connery

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,144 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 10 October 2010 - 03:04 PM

Nice, and it comes with it's own hand grenade holder too. :P

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#3 ZombieHunter

ZombieHunter

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
  • Interests:Tweaking my Suzuki Samurai (hunting/trail rig), spending time plinking and teaching the kids how to shoot, learning new and different ways of being successful in the field.<br /><br />Outside of hunting and camping, I'm an avid Bears fan and business owner.

Posted 10 October 2010 - 04:39 PM

Yeah, I saw that and had to pick it up. Only issue is that the pin and the handle rattle when you're driving it so I'm going to have to tape it for hunting trips to alleviate the noise created.
~BubbaZombie Hunter ExtraordinaireMaking the dead even more dead since 2009 "Do your best??? Losers always talk about doing their best. Winners go home and @*&$ the prom queen!" - Sean Connery

#4 fyrewil

fyrewil

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 05:55 PM

Are you running the stock motor?

#5 ZombieHunter

ZombieHunter

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 06:11 PM

Yup, motor is stock and untouched. The only thing I added was an extra pulley so I could add a toyota power steering kit. In a year or so I'll look for the 16 valve engine out of a sidekick or a tracker to add more horsepower and the dual overhead cam.

#6 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 06:24 PM

I almost bought one of those because they can go anywhere, they are just to small for the hunting I do. Is it EFI?

#7 ZombieHunter

ZombieHunter

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 06:31 PM

Nope, still on the carb, but if I upgraded to the 16 valve it would come EFI.I take this thing after big game. What kind of game do you pursue? I have an 8k lb winch on the front of it and have had no problems with it at all going anywhere or helping me with any game I've pursued.

#8 mackeralboy

mackeralboy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts
  • Interests:Hunting anything above or below the water. Kayaking, Backpacking, Scuba, Surfing, anything outdoors.

Posted 11 October 2010 - 06:26 PM

What an Awesome set up! I've been looking at the old Samuri's for some time now as a hunting vehicle. :D :tease: :D

#9 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 07:05 PM

I used to hunt deer, pigs and some elk but lately just after the coyotes. Calling the predators is very addictive. When I was lookin at sammys there was alot of talk about the small diesels out of a side kick or something like that( I don't remember which vehicle they were taking the motor from) I have an 8000lb warn on my cherokee and haven't needed it yet,Knock on wood, except to pull a bonehead in a silverado off of the shoulder of the road in the snow.

#10 ZombieHunter

ZombieHunter

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 09:47 PM

You can actually put a diesel from a vw cabriolet in these, but you suffer a significant noise increase and also then have to use a smog referee rather than a smog station. The upside is a 50mpg hunting vehicle. Personally I don't mind the 3 gallon hunts (driving most of the day) that comes with the stock engine. It is all a matter of preference though. I will have to post a pic of it once I have a bruin strapped to the front bumper!

#11 fyrewil

fyrewil

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 09:33 AM

Where did you pull the 2N and axles from (type of Vehicle)?I have an 85/86 sami that is still pretty much stock.

#12 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts
  • Interests:God, family & country. Predator hunting, shooting, reloading.

Posted 12 October 2010 - 10:13 AM

Very, very nice. I love it. Nowz gon' git dem zombies.
"Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room." Winston Churchill

#13 ZombieHunter

ZombieHunter

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 03:52 PM

Trail Tough up in Medford sells the double tough front axles and they also have a "Twisted T" shift pattern that they can install into your transfer case. I had them send me a 6:5 TCase and when I purchased the Twisted T pattern, they install it for free. Below is the shift pattern to the best of my ability to create it in a forum setting Posted Image(edited because it was easier to link than to just try and illustrate the shift pattern)They're very knowledgable there and of the three places I've used for Suzuki parts, they provide the best service. There is also Hawk Suzuki up in Oregon as well, but the one part I purchased from them came with a "Trail Tough" stamp on it... so there you have it. You have to shop around between the three sites, but you can just about build a zuki from the ground up using a combo of all three retailers. I like the fact that Trail Tough is on the way up to the Clover Creek Ranch and I was able to pop in in person and pick their brains about stuff.The other place I used was Rocky Road Outfitters. They were very professional, but their service is kinda on the slow side. I got the bumpers from Rocky Road however and they look awesome. The ice chest rack and grille (it's a custom metal piece I had made to replace the OEM plastic one) I had done at the local metal shop. I also had the rear gas tank armor plate made there as well. For the same price as the guys online for 1/8", I had a piece of 1/4" thick steel cut and installed :)As for the axles, you can bolt up a toyota axle and pumpkin in the back, but I just replaced the axles themselves in the front housing when I went to put Lock-Rites in the front and rear pumpkins.If you have any questions at all on suping up that Zuke of yours feel free to ask me here or in a PM. That's been as much a hobby of mine as hunting itself, it just so happens that they go hand in hand :two-cents:

#14 Gapmaster

Gapmaster

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 06:51 PM

Where you gonna mount the machetes and flame throwers? :two-cents:
" When you have to shoot, "shoot", don't talk " [Tuco-The good, The bad and The Ugly]

#15 ZombieHunter

ZombieHunter

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 09:42 PM

Machete is stored in the toolbox (inside the box under the back seat) and the flame thrower... well... I'll have to work on that. I did, however, mount a locomotive horn under the chassis powered by a compressor and 4 gallon air tank :)

#16 NIGHT-T

NIGHT-T

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 04:06 PM

looks awesome man, black diamond plate would be very sexy as well..

#17 ZombieHunter

ZombieHunter

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 04:39 PM

I thought about black, but it was extremely difficult to find for a samurai and I didn't mind a little flare :fuhrer: I figure if all else fails within a hunt or two it will darken up considerably... at least until rainy season :signs1242cn:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users