• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 09 October 2010 - 06:57 PM

I just finished rubbing out the paint on one side of my 1948 model A (I was to worn out to go after the other side). I thought about going straight to painting it but a little Nu-Finish car polish and a whole bunch of elbow grease brought back alot of the shine so I'll put off painting it for a few years.Posted Image before Posted Image after

#2 Red Dog

Red Dog

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 07:20 PM

That looks nice Clampdaddy!!

#3 lilwes278

lilwes278

SATISFACTORY!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, fishing, four wheeling, riding ATV's, camping, and the various ECV activities...

Posted 09 October 2010 - 08:18 PM

That was a nice little video you sent me earlier. She purrs (I mean POPS!) like a kitten... :signs1180lq:

#4 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,686 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 09 October 2010 - 08:20 PM

Nu-Finish is the best I've been using it since it came out and there isn't a better polish. It's looking real good Matt.Wax on wax off. :signs1180lq:

#5 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 10 October 2010 - 06:09 AM

That was a nice little video you sent me earlier. She purrs (I mean POPS!) like a kitten... :P

I wish I knew how to take the video off my cell phone and post it here but doing the pictures from my camera is about as high tech as I've gotten so far. :P

#6 gmoney

gmoney

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 08:24 AM

nothing like a open piped deere, they are so fun, did you find the water pump on it yet? Oh by the way you prolly figured out what my handle means now lol

#7 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,686 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 08:58 AM

I never knew what gmoney stood for until I looked it up. Gangsta :P

gmoney Derogatory name for white youth who emulate inner city black culture.One who strives for an image of what is far from their reality."Look at that g money driving." (Hat tilted to side, right arm loosely at twelve o' clock position, seat reclined, head centered to dash console.)

Or is there another term I'm missing. :P

#8 gmoney

gmoney

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 12:20 PM

John Deere G money pit bottomless hole eats money for lunch and breakfast, but winning machinehence Gmoney

#9 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,686 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 02:54 PM

John Deere G money pit bottomless hole eats money for lunch and breakfast, but winning machinehence Gmoney

Huh, I don't get it but okay if you say so. I would have never guessed that. I always wondered what gmoney stood for in your name. Thanks

#10 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 03:10 PM

nothing like a open piped deere, they are so fun, did you find the water pump on it yet? Oh by the way you prolly figured out what my handle means now lol

Yeah, water pump! Lol! Amaizing that these things can run so cool without one. My A actually has a muffler. The chrome stack is just slipped over it and attached with a couple sheet metal screws.

#11 gmoney

gmoney

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 04:07 PM

Are you gonna keep it as a toy or are you gonna work with this tractor, you will be so thankful with a muffler, if you are gonna work it, pull behind mowers are cool, and pull type discs are pretty available, I assume its an electric start being a 48, either way be careful wearing sweatshirts and coats when you are by the flywheel. I think this was pre osha stuff lol

#12 Red Dog

Red Dog

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 05:33 PM

From the Urban Dictionary-So then Gmoney says to me, "Yo homie I scored some of da Chronic while rolling hard in my FedEx truck

#13 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 08:19 PM

Are you gonna keep it as a toy or are you gonna work with this tractor, you will be so thankful with a muffler, if you are gonna work it, pull behind mowers are cool, and pull type discs are pretty available, I assume its an electric start being a 48, either way be careful wearing sweatshirts and coats when you are by the flywheel. I think this was pre osha stuff lol

Eventually it'll be a dual purpose tractor. I eventually want to make it pretty enough to show it in the old farm equipment corral at the fair but I'll use it to pull a rake and a baler at the family ranch. My dad has a two bottom tumble bug plow that I'd like to restore and play with but I'm sure he'd rather we use the disc.It is an electric start. While I was working on the starter the other day I tried to throw start it but one of the decompression valves was plugged solid so I couldn't get it to turn all the way over. I got the valve cleaned out yesterday but I'd already put the flywheel cover back on so I haven't tried it again. On my tractor you can remove the small center piece of the flywheel cover and then attach the steering wheel to the center hub of the flywheel and use it to throw start the engine. I need to get the ratchet that goes between the steering wheel and flywheel though.On your G are the decompression valves on the top or bottom of the engine?

#14 gmoney

gmoney

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 06:55 PM

come out to los banos sat nite and check it outthey are on the side of the cylinders. My head is a flathead off of an unstyled G, it has a lot of compression and it will knock and not run on anything less than 110. Those valves are very expensive to replace dont mess them upBTW what is your serial number, I thought 48 had open flywheel, not shrouded, I thought 49 was the first year for shroudedsince you are clamper I can reminisce about going to the cheyenne when the redshirts were out, it used to be so easy to NOT get into trouble when the shirts were out lol

#15 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 07:13 PM

Not this saturday but next, right? I'm gonna be Clampin' this saturday so driving to Los Banos will be out of the question if you know what I mean. :two-cents: The serial number is in the 594XXX range so from the info I've gathered it was built during the first week of November 1947 which would make it a 1948 model. My tractor has the later style A motor so the decompression valves are under the engine. It's a little scary crawling under a running tractor to close them. I'm glad to see that you're a Johnny popper guy. I could use a few pointers on getting my tractor running tip top. It runs great and will start no problem with the electric starter but I have to crank on it a bit. I don't think I could throw start it if I had to in a pinch. Any tips to make it start easier?

#16 gmoney

gmoney

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 08:12 PM

its this saturday vtpapullers.org you need to pull the carb and get a kit from roberts carb repair, prolly some of the passages need to be cleaned up you will use numbered drill bits to chase the ports I have an ole video that will help you can use if you want, you just got to pick it up in motown

#17 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 08:41 PM

Hey Gmoney, I got a deere question for you but you don't have a private message account set up. How hard is it to change the bearing on the first gear reduction shaft (pulley side) mine just started knockin' so I need to change it. Any heat or special tools required?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users