• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,161 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, PCP Airguns, Flying (home builts)

Posted 09 October 2010 - 03:52 PM

I picked up a Stoeger Cougar 40SW for $390 in Silver and I am really impressed with this gun. They have stress tested the gun on several reviews and it mimics the Baretta Cougar in every regard. Stoeger bought the rights and machine equipment from Baretta and moved it to Turkey for the cheaper labor. The metal is from the same original supplier and the guns are indistinguishable. They now offer the 9mm, 40SW and 45 ACP. Some of our local CCW training facilities have gone to using these guns in training which made me aware of them and then I did some research on Google and it gets impressive formal and informal reviews (unlike the SW Sigmas I sold). Anyone else own one of these?http://www.stoegerin...eger_cougar.phpAttached File  1.jpg   14.89KB   24 downloads

I'm an airgunholic

#2 Yodel Dog

Yodel Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Interests:Guns and hunting, fishing when I can.

Posted 09 October 2010 - 04:11 PM

I've never owned one but I played with the Beretta quite a few years ago, in fact the first one was a partially finished prototype. While the Model 92 was designed with military in mind, the Cougar was designed for Law Enforcement. Different ergonomics, more compact and finer sights are some of the features. I was able to shoot one a year and a half later after production was going and I liked it well.

#3 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 04:27 PM

I bought a Beretta 92A1 in 9mm a few months ago and the Stoeger is very similar in general operation but of course slightly smaller and has a metal rod unlike the Beretta which is nylon. I actually give the edge to the Stoeger. I fired it but need to do some accuracy testing although the reviews have been very good on accuracy.

I'm an airgunholic

#4 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 06:35 AM

After much testing I am coming to the conclusion that the Stoeger Cougar may be one of or the best bang for the buck semi auto pistols out there. With the addition of the 45acp with a rail system you get a choice of 9mm, 40SW, or 45 acp now. It is basically a slightly improved Beretta Cougar at around $400 for the silver model. Less for the black version. The barrel is completely chrome lined and covered. I can shoot the Cougar as well as my Beretta 92A1 with a 4.9" barrel. I like it so much I picked up some nice oil finished walnut grips from grips4u for $43. With the unique rotating barrel design, it is the lowest recoil pistol I have ever shot of this caliber (mine is 40 SW).Attached File  1.jpg   18.67KB   19 downloads

I'm an airgunholic

#5 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,773 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 11 November 2010 - 08:43 AM

Nice looking pistol. I"m not a big semi-automatic fan, but I think I'm going to get a Ruger LCP. So small it is so easy to carry. The caliber is only .380, but that's better than not having a weapon at all. I'll be getting from my son, who is a Law Enforcement Officer. But I'm going to have to look into that Stoeger also, nice looking piece.
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#6 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 09:13 AM

My CCW gun is a CZ Rami 2075 BD in 9mm. The Cougar is a little too big for the front pocket holster carry that I do. I am really impressed with the Rami after carrying a SW 642 for a few years. We have informal "IDPA type" matches at my local range which are solely directed at improving your personal defense effectiveness in real life situations (they use actual shootings and encounters to setup the events). I quickly found out that the guns like the SW 642 are basically useless other than for brandishing in high stress rapid situations where adrenaline is high and you are shaking and out of breath. The folks using the sub compact semi autos are considerably more effective at actually hitting the silhouette sized targets under the widely varying scenarios (like out of a car during a carjacking attempt, etc). That is why I traded up for the CZ - I couldn't hit much with the 642 and now I can score in the top 10% regularly. I think being effective with the gun is more important than the caliber but I wouldn't go below a 380 based on the stopping power stats they publish. The Rami BD comes with night sights and 2 14 rd mags although I use a 10 rd mag now to carry since it is more compact. I have a guy in Norway named Hakan Pek making a custom set of grips for my Rami in Mexican Cocobolo. Take a look at his stuff. He uses some exotic woods that get a little steep but the Cocobolo isn't too bad. http://www.imageseek.com/hakan/Bottom is the RamiAttached File  1.jpg   25.69KB   20 downloads

I'm an airgunholic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users