12 replies to this topic

#1 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,270 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 09:09 AM

I went pigeon killing with my Gamo Viper .177 . using flat head pellets.Killed a bunch off them a few landed on the roof of the barn and some landed in the pens. I also shot my first pigeon double one bird was grooming the other so they both got the pellet .The more I shot the more I wanted to shoot it was addicting.I shot another 10 last evening.Posted Imagethey went to a Mexican family to be eaten when they saw them they were happy.

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,471 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 09 October 2010 - 09:59 AM

Nice shooting John! How far away were they? It seems the first couple of times you can sneak up on them and after that you have to really hide yourself.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#3 ratassassin

ratassassin

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,669 posts
  • Interests:Handloading, hunting, target shooting.

Posted 09 October 2010 - 11:22 AM

Good job on the filthy things. Awhile back, I sold my Gamo Shadow 1000 with a 3-9x50 Centerpoint mildot scope to my buddy who wanted it for shooting pigeons (rock dove) off the 2nd story roof of his house. They caused him $2000 in damage by pecking through a barrier and getting into his attic to nest. He had to have all the insulation torn out by a haz mat crew. Boy, was he pissed. Anyhow, he has exacted his revenge with the Gamo and has shot 15 of them off the roof at about 20 yards with RWS Meisterkugeln wadcutters. No more pigeon problem. The Gamo is pretty effective on them. Sometimes they drop DRT. Other times, they fly 25 yards or so losing hydraulic pressure and crash into his or his neighbor's yard. The cats grab them and run off.

#4 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,270 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 11:38 AM

I like the ones that fly after a good hit then crash an when they hit tin roofs it's loud these are fat birds.John I shoot at them in the evening and most of the time I can shoot 10 before they jet.Once they roost up it's game one. Most are 20 yards that is a prime distance 30 is ok after that it's hit or miss.I did clean the barrel and it helped a lot. I did notice the sharp up angles I have to aim low.I have been using crossmen pellets that's the most common in my area stores.I will be looking for some different brands next time out.Do you think the flats kills better than the pointed pellet'sI shot one in our old silo's and it bleed on me, first I thought it was poop.I had to shoot straight up :signlol2iu:

#5 MikeNC

MikeNC

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 11:39 AM

Oh yea....Pigeons are fun targets and farmers love to get them off'n their silos and barns. I know the family you gave them to are grateful...Psssst...they make some pretty good eatin' Good shooting :signlol2iu:

#6 fyrewil

fyrewil

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 11:45 AM

Heck, shoot all of those flying rats!!!

#7 VarmintAir

VarmintAir

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 12:35 PM

That had to be a ton of fun. Nice shooting. :signlol2iu:
VarmintAir WebsiteAirgun Hunting the California Ground SquirrelVarmintAir's Airgun Hunting BlogDevoted to the sport of responsible varmint and small game hunting with Modern Adult Airguns

#8 Mr Del

Mr Del

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 01:59 PM

Because it has gotten warmer, I when out to the ranch I have permission to hunt. I took the form you have posted here to get the owners signature so I will be legal to the fish cops when they show up. The foreman is going to get the owner to sign it and then he will mail it back to me. While talking to the foreman about 30 pigeons flew by and landed in a field a short distance away. He stated that he loved them but he was going to wait until next year so there would be 4 times as many and THEN he could have pigeon any time and as many as he wanted. Once a farmer... alway a farmer. This farm is 7 miles wide and 23 miles long. I ask him about wild pigs. He said, "Si" (that means yes in English) (for our English majors here.)

#9 THE KNOT

THE KNOT

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 05:24 AM

I had the plesure of shooting a few about 5 off a roost working OT under some dim light . Shooting slow and spaced out seams to work looks like your gamo served you well

#10 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,270 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 07:52 PM

I shot 14 more the other day.I found a new spot and they just held and I kept dropping them one flew along the concrete and a cat ran and grabbed it .I took them to this Mexican family and they said "Mas Palomas" Palomas"I can't get photo bucket to load the picture i get a failure to load warning I will to get them up soon.I noticed a big drop of pigeon population around the farm :cheers:

#11 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,270 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 01:18 PM

Photo bucket works now that;s weird.Posted Image

#12 Hutch

Hutch

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 07:24 AM

Wow, too cool!

#13 sixgun

sixgun

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 08:27 PM

nice shooting, a few less pigeons is always a good thing, and they make pretty good table fare :good:
Every boy should have two things: a dog, and a mother willing to let him have one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users