8 replies to this topic

#1 nomadsurfer7

nomadsurfer7

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 06:54 AM

Hey,anyone have any soild advice on a good turkey broadhead. I am presently using a 125grain stinger buzz cut which has worked well with deer and pigs.

#2 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts
  • Interests:God, family & country. Predator hunting, shooting, reloading.

Posted 05 October 2010 - 01:12 PM

Here is a thread on the topic of broadheads for turkey. There are many more with a Google search. The GOBBLER GUILLOTINE seems to be the rage though.
"Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room." Winston Churchill

#3 nje

nje

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • Interests:family, friends,hunting, archery and BBQ.

Posted 05 October 2010 - 04:19 PM

that buzzcut will work just as well as any as long as the shot placement is good. my son has killed his share with a bow and uses an 85 grain stinger and they go down quick. putting the broadhead in the right spot is more important. i use a 3 blade snuffer on turkeys with my longbow. everything else gets a 2 blade. reason being is i would rather my broadhead stay in a bird rather than pass through (still get pass throughs 1/2 the time). the GOBBLER GUILLOTINE is good on head shots from what i have seen. had a guy at our ranch shoot a turkey with one and hit it square in the body. 250 yards later the bird was shot with a shotgun. went back to camp and after he shot his bow we noticed that he was hitting about 10 inches lower with the GG than with his regular arrow. its a good idea to practice with any head you hunt with it.

#4 nomadsurfer7

nomadsurfer7

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 06:19 AM

Thanks ffor the info,I will check these broadheads out

#5 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts
  • Interests:God, family & country. Predator hunting, shooting, reloading.

Posted 06 October 2010 - 11:23 AM

Speaking of broadheads....I just tried to order some broadheads from Sportsman's Guide. :smiley-funny-post-sign: I was informed that they do not ship broadheads to Kaliforniastan anymore. Apparently, our political hacks :eck05: in Sacramento are even screwing archery up. Hmmmmm.....must be the result of all of the gang attacks on innocent people using archery gear. Broadheads...AKA: Assault arrows. :fuhrer:
"Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room." Winston Churchill

#6 nomadsurfer7

nomadsurfer7

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 12:14 PM

wow whats happening here!

#7 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 01:47 PM

Just use a sharp boadhead, K.I.S.S.

#8 bunktheclown

bunktheclown

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 07:49 AM

For turkeys it's all about shot placement as nje stated. If you are shooting a tom draw a line across the body about 1-2" above the beard over to the top of the leg. Put your pin there and let it rip! Remember the vitals on a turkey are about the size of your fist so aim small miss small. For head shot broad heads I would stay away from the GG. You have to shoot them with these little straws over the blades so they won't plane too much. 15-20 yards is max range for these. I am going to give the magnus bullheads a try this fall and see how they work, effective range is suppose to be 30+ yards, no straws and lifetime guarantee. youtube has loads of video's for both BH's. Good hunting-jb

#9 nomadsurfer7

nomadsurfer7

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 07:00 AM

thanks, some good stuff

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users