14 replies to this topic

#1 NIGHT-T

NIGHT-T

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 11:36 AM

Nothing like a day in the stand when everything comes together, Headed out to the woods with my old man about 3 p.m. high of the day was around 73 degrees with 10mph winds it was pretty brisk witch isnt real normal for here im normally batting flys and musquitos. but after sitting in my stand untill dusk i got down off the crp field i had coverd to move more to feeding area, on my way walking the edge of the crp i had most of my attention on small thick area of trees where deer love to bed especially the bigger bucks. Having my attention to my right on the thicket i happend to just look forward to make sure i wasnt about to walk into a tree and noticed a rack just swinging back and forth and immediately steped behind a small cedar just big enough to break up my outline but was still in the open. Now being in crp i could just see the top of his back and head being only 35 yards out it was hard to sit for 20min and watch this guy making a scrape and biting off limb tips, I knew the trail he was on came right to me so after making my self nervious enough from looking at the rack i got a little more antcy thinking he was gonna come my way and bust my trying to come to full draw and steping out from behind tree for the shot. Well it was all coming together he was coming my way fast so the fist chance i got a head in the grass i came to full draw stood up and steped out, he looked up still now knowing i was there i let the hoyt work its magic and let her fly. I heard the arrow hit and watched him head for the thicket and he stopped and stood there and looked back at my witch started to make me nervious untill he got the noodle legs and dropped not 40yds from where i made the shot. As bad as it was draggin the big old bruit through an unpicked bean field i think my dad was more excited then i was. I havent had it scored yet but im gonna and will keep ya posted, ohh and for you california boys 342lbs field dressed.. Thats what corn fed is all about right there.Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#2 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts
  • Interests:Im a full time taxidermist and I LOVE Hunting- coyotes, bobcat, bear, boar, elk, deer etc..

Posted 03 October 2010 - 11:46 AM

Very nice :pot: Grats!!

#3 NIGHT-T

NIGHT-T

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 11:50 AM

thanks , your a taxidermist? never had rack scored what would you guess it would go?

#4 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,190 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, PCP Airguns, Flying (home builts)

Posted 03 October 2010 - 12:05 PM

Way to go - I am from south of St. Louis. We haven't seen many big bucks but tons of does and youngins so far.

#5 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,814 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 03 October 2010 - 01:41 PM

thanks man, your a taxidermist? never had rack scored what would you guess it would go?

You need to check the name of the poster! :pot: And by the way SHE is a great taxidermist. Check out the pictures of her work on here!

#6 tommybuilt

tommybuilt

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 566 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 04:47 AM

Nice Buck. Awesome bow kill. But you need to tell us a story. Like, I drew back my ------ bow and sent my --------- broadhead thru his ---------. He ran -- yards and piles up in --------. You know, most of us live in California, and we don't have those there White tails round here. Also enjoyed your pictures on your other post, nice furniture. Welcome, and great job.

#7 Elderberry

Elderberry

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 06:35 PM

Very nice and yes, post a story!!!! :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:

#8 NIGHT-T

NIGHT-T

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 03:18 PM

Very nice and yes, post a story!!!! :angry2:

story is up

#9 tommybuilt

tommybuilt

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 566 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 06:21 PM

Thanks for the updated story. 342 lbs dressed, thats 3 california deer. No farm fields where I live to get them that fat.

#10 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts
  • Interests:God, family & country. Predator hunting, shooting, reloading.

Posted 06 October 2010 - 08:18 PM

That is terrific. I can't wait to bag my first animal with a bow. Great job! :angry2:

#11 spectr17

spectr17

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 08:53 AM

Nice buck. If that 342 lbs was weighed on a scale you may want to contact someone about a near record for whitetail. The record is 500 lbs for a MN deer.http://sports.espn.g...r_forecast05_MN

#12 NIGHT-T

NIGHT-T

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 09:17 AM

no need for contacting anyone that weight is pretty typical of older bucks around here.. but yea it was on a scale i need to get you california boys out here and show you what deer hunting is all about. i didnt even know there were whitetail in cali..shows what i know.

#13 Karl

Karl

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 05:22 AM

thanks , your a taxidermist? never had rack scored what would you guess it would go?

I'm not a Taxidermist but I can guess. From what I can tell from the pics, my guess is in the 150+ class.Really pretty rack too! Go online and get instructions on how to score the rack and let us know what you come up with.All you need is some string and a tape measure.The Bucks can get very big bodied in your neck of the woods I bet you had fun dragging him!I had an Uncle that shot one over 400 lbs field dressed! Said it was the easiest hunt he ever had.Only walked 100 yards from the drop point and he was standing 100 yards out looking at himin 2 feet of snow.Dropped him on the spot his buddies heard the shot and came back to help.No Whitetails in Cali as of yet. I have seen them in Idaho and heard of them in Oregon.Thanks for sharing!

#14 nje

nje

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • Interests:family, friends,hunting, archery and BBQ.

Posted 10 October 2010 - 10:08 AM

how about some field photos.

#15 CaseyU

CaseyU

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, being outdoors, hanging with my family and friends

Posted 10 October 2010 - 02:16 PM

congratulations! that is a trophy!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users