• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 28 September 2010 - 06:28 PM

Here's a pic of the John Deere model A I just picked up. I have to check the serial number to pin down the exact year of manufacture but I think it's a 1947 or '48. I do know that it has the big 321 cubic inch two cylinder which makes around 34 horsepower. Today that doesn't sound like much but back in the day this thing was a beast.Posted Image

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,659 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 28 September 2010 - 06:30 PM

Nice one! Now I know why you are selling the shotgun.

#3 OldJon

OldJon

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 06:42 PM

What a beauty! We see a few left like this down here in the Central Coast on the cabbage and celery...

#4 gmoney

gmoney

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 06:58 PM

47 had pan seat, if its open flywheel I think its like 48 49, closed flywheel is 50's until they changed to the Teen series

#5 gmoney

gmoney

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 07:01 PM

btw an A is 2/3 of a G and a B would be 1/3 a G

Attached Files

#6 handgun

handgun

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Interests:Guns and Dogs

Posted 28 September 2010 - 07:07 PM

Nice score clampdaddy!!! She is B E A U tiful.gmoney yours looks good too but "slighty" modified...

#7 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts
  • Interests:God, family & country. Predator hunting, shooting, reloading.

Posted 28 September 2010 - 07:35 PM

:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :smiley-funny-post-sign: That is some kinda sweet tractor. In anticipation of my Tennessee move, I joined Tractor Buy Net That is a sweetie Clamp. Best of luck with her.

#8 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 28 September 2010 - 07:44 PM

Nice one! Now I know why you are selling the shotgun.

You guessed it! :smiley-funny-post-sign:

47 had pan seat, if its open flywheel I think its like 48 49, closed flywheel is 50's until they changed to the Teen series

I found a site that had serial numbers and man. dates and it is a 1948.

#9 GSH

GSH

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 431 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, (deer, elk, turkey, upland bird) wanting to get into predator hunting, fishing, mules and packing, fly rc airplanes, ride bicycle, both road and mtb. I also, along with my wife , build western cowboy spurs.

Posted 28 September 2010 - 09:03 PM

Nice A, brings back memories, my Granddad had one on his farm in Ark. first tractor I ever drove. My Dad did some work on the engine and man you just couldn't stall that thing.

#10 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 09:13 PM

btw an A is 2/3 of a G and a B would be 1/3 a G

Sounds like you know your Deeres. I found this link (below) and something seemed odd to me. The late 321 cubic inch A motor had almost equaled the horsepower rating of the G's big 413 cubic inch engine. Did the smaller engine have a higher compression ratio or maybe a higher RPM rating? One of my buddies dad has an older unstyled A with a bad a$$ G motor dynoed at 80 horsepower. He pulled it for quite a few years but it's been collecting dust for quite a while now.http://www.antiquetr...ginehpchart.htm

#11 gmoney

gmoney

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 03:51 PM

common now everyone in hilmar has a bad to the bone deere. you are in the middle of pullin country in hilmarthere is a pull in los banos oct 26 come out, look at vtpa web site

#12 Lonehowl

Lonehowl

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 06:19 PM

Nice machine, you guys come to the Farm Equipment show( Ag Expo) in Tulare? Mark

#13 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,659 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 29 September 2010 - 07:45 PM

I go to the Ag Expo in Tulare. It's huge, lots of cool stuff.

#14 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 07:48 PM

common now everyone in hilmar has a bad to the bone deere. you are in the middle of pullin country in hilmarthere is a pull in los banos oct 26 come out, look at vtpa web site

I'll do that. I have an uncle and some cousins from Elnido that pull Farmalls. Ben, Marty, and Shane. I'm sure they'll be there. I'm gonna wait until I get my tractor looking nice before I embarrass myself in public. If I'm gonna lose to a Farmall I at least want my JD to look good doing it. :1rock1oo:

#15 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,355 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 08:36 PM

That's nice matt those old tractors are fun.Just go out and have fun at the pulls.

#16 Pogo

Pogo

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 07:17 PM

Cool. There are few A's around here, as most of this area wasn't settled until the late 1940's, but there are a lot of 60's, 620's etc. They seemed to be very popular. Guy I work with still uses a whole fleet of 60's to pull hay balers with, everyday, all summer long. Really pretty neat machines, and built to last. Somewhere I have a picture my wife took of the fleet of Johnny Poppers and balers lined up in a field after they finished baling one morning, she even won a Farm Bureau photo contest with it, I'll see if I can find it.While I kind of enjoy running one for an hour or two in the early morning baling hay... once and a while... I can't imagine spending all day on one. No wonder all the old timers are deaf! Hard to imagine when those were a 'big' machine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users