• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 goosebrown

goosebrown

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  • Interests:Ceramics. WEB programming. Varmint hunting and possibly pig hunting.

Posted 27 September 2010 - 10:28 AM

OK I have no idea and there are about 34,000 choices here. Internal or External frame?4000 cuInchs enough?Bag liner?Brands?Any and all advice accepted. For hunting hogs and light camping. Looking to shoot pigs in the 90-150lb range, nothing huge. Not climbing Everest in search of Tibetian Pronghorns so don't need a $5000 technical backpack with built in laser range finder and GPS...

#2 Jeff

Jeff

SacramentoSkullWorks

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 10:40 AM

Is this pack to carry your gear, or your gear and the quartered animal?If you just need a good pack, check out Timberhawk. I've become a fan.http://www.timberhaw.../products-page/

#3 Mr Del

Mr Del

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 12:28 PM

I would get the biggest I could afford....because you will always find something to put in that empty space, thrust me. Besides, the empty space doesn't weigh much.

#4 fyrewil

fyrewil

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 01:06 PM

It does if you find something to put in the empty space :horse apples:

#5 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,066 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 01:41 PM

I learned that if you have a big pack you will fill it. Try to stay light only bring the necessities and you will be fine. I went on a 7 day 50 km hike in Vancouver and some ladies we met packed everything in glass jars to keep it dry. They where not very happy with all the added weight. Ziplocks are a campers best friend. Make sure you don't mind the weight on your back if you get a big bag. Good luck. I have a 1900ci and a 4200ci bag. I hunt with the 1900ci pack almost exclusively.

#6 Jason

Jason

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, camping, scuba diving, American Revolution living history, fishing, ham radio.

Posted 27 September 2010 - 01:54 PM

I've used both. Both are fine. Make sure you get one that's comfortable for you. Your body is different than mine and what works for me may make you miserable. Always go light if you can. Just because you can fit it in the pack doesn't mean you should take it. Amazing what you can get by without when you don't want to carry the extra weight.When I used to backpack I would also wear a fanny pack in front. I would put my knife, bug spray, sunscreen, fishing stuff, matches, mini flashlight, tooth brush, and tooth past in there. It probably took only a pound or two off my back but it made a huge difference. Plus I could get to that stuff easy without taking off the pack. It hung right below the pack belt and didn't get in the way at all. Was also nice when I left camp to do some fishing that I had some basic kit with me just in case.

#7 Baja_Traveler

Baja_Traveler

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 02:09 PM

I do 90% of my hunting with my Eberlestock X1. Packed light with my Clark Jungle hammock, trips of 2-3 days are easy. On those rare occasions where I'm out for a week away from vehicle support, I'll use my Eberlestock Dragonfly. They are the best packs made IMHO...

#8 bigboarstopper

bigboarstopper

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts
  • Interests:killin dinner

Posted 27 September 2010 - 08:49 PM

I use a military SDS frame pack. Ive gone through numerous backpacks and frame packs over the years. Some were very expensive and some pretty cheap. Ive noticed that some of the very expensive ones were very comfortable and lighter than the others. However they are not very durable. I went on Ebay and purchased 3 different SDS military packs. None of the straps have ever broke and when they get really bloody and crusty from packing out game they clean out easy and dont rot. The other plus side to these packs is that they can be purchased for very cheap on ebay. They retail new on the Specialty Defence System (SDS) website for hundreds of dollars. I got all 3 different packs they sell on ebay for less than 100$. Search ebay= sds pack or sds ruck

#9 White Smoke

White Smoke

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Interests:Hunting coyotes with my .222 or big game with a muzzleloader.

Posted 01 October 2010 - 07:44 PM

It totally depends on what you want to do with it. I carry a RedHead Deer Trail Day Pack. It's $19.95 at Bass Pro Shops and carries all the stuff I need for a day hunt for deer or hogs plus what I need for an overnight stay if I get stuck out there after dark, first aid equipment and a few "extra" things I might need and there's still room left. It is NOT for bringing back any meat. It just carries the stuff I need to hunt and some emergency equipment I might need. I've really been happy with it.

#10 goosebrown

goosebrown

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  • Interests:Ceramics. WEB programming. Varmint hunting and possibly pig hunting.

Posted 02 October 2010 - 04:15 AM

I appreciate the info. My buddy went with an Alice with a MOLLIE frame. Got it online somewhere for $65 complete. I went with a 4000 in2 Kelty external frame. We are in a place where we may need to haul meat out of some canyons although we are trying not to have to do that. The advice I found in backpacking forums is that the external is less stable in that the center of gravity is higher and they recommend trekking (shooting!) sticks for stability in climbing or descending. Also the external carries more, is more flexible in that you can remove the bag and use it all for meat or heavy loads. Appears this is what USGS uses to get concrete and markers to the tops of mountains and hills for the markers. Also external can be rigged to be off your back more making it cooler. Since I am going to be in the lowlands and hotter than the mountains, that appeals too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users