16 replies to this topic

#1 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,949 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 06:32 PM

I finally had a little free time to mess around in the garage and here is what I came up with.this one is the first pot call that I have made, it's a piece of birds eye maple with a slate padPosted ImagePosted Image This one is a laminate barrel and derlin tone boardPosted ImageAnd these are the new shot shell calls I'm making, I was and still might make the barrels out of wood but I kind of like the realistic look.Posted Image Thanks for looking, Ron

#2 5150Marcelo

5150Marcelo

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 09:52 PM

Sweet!

#3 JimT.

JimT.

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 09:54 PM

Interesting. How do they sound?

#4 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,949 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 07:31 PM

All of my calls sound good or they go in the waste bin.

#5 fakawee

fakawee

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Interests:4Wheeling, Hunting, Target Shooting, Fishing, Camping, Kayaking and Glassing the countryside.

Posted 27 September 2010 - 08:23 PM

I can attest to them sounding good. Ron, my blondie works so well, I called in 2 yotes last night while practicing my female yips, yelps and howls. Who would've thought they'd come in to a howl this time of the year? Weird! Too bad I was in my buddy's back yard and in the city limits or they'd have been done in. Urban coyotes-bold bastards!!!
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. Mark Twain

#6 handgun

handgun

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Interests:Guns and Dogs

Posted 27 September 2010 - 08:54 PM

I hate to be the one asking dum-azz questions BUT...is that slate call for turkeys? Do you make calls other than predator calls?

#7 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,949 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 02:31 PM

I have wanted to make a box call for a long time and made 2 of them for a couple of guys on the board. I really enjoy making calls and will make more and put them up for sale, I plan on making some duck calls too but there is only so much time for hunting, fishing, call making and work. OH yea, and cubscouts, soccer, softball and so on and so on.. I don't hunt turkeys or ducks very often so that's why I mostly make predator calls but if anyone has a call they are looking for let me know, I may just have to give it a shot.

#8 5150Marcelo

5150Marcelo

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 04:06 PM

Im looking for a Bar fly/skanky "friendly" chic call. When will it be ready and how much?

#9 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,949 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 04:42 PM

All you need is to crack a budweiser they will come running in from a mile away to the sound of a cheap beer cracking open. If you like fat ones just open up a twinky wrapper.

#10 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,774 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 29 September 2010 - 08:20 PM

Im looking for a Bar fly/skanky "friendly" chic call. When will it be ready and how much?

Heck all I do for them is just go camping buy myself and they come waking into camp. Real nice calls Jaws.
You can hop but you can't hide. Yahi Bowmen. Its not how far you can shoot but how close to the game you get when you shoot. Sights we don't need any sights. Why waist time reloading when I can be making arrows.

#11 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,277 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 09:09 PM

How does that first turkey call work do you twist the rod in the holes?And what side of the shotgun calls do you blow on

#12 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,485 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 01 October 2010 - 07:44 AM

On the turkey call the holes are for sound like a speaker. You scratch or work the striker over the slate to make turkey yells.I'm going to guess you would blow into the base or brass end of the shotgun shell calls. That way the open end would work as the chamber where the sound comes out to give it more volume.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#13 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,949 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 04:58 PM

You got it john, I'm still playing with the sound holes seeing what makes the best sounds.

#14 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,277 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 12:44 PM

Are you selling them?How much you asking for the second from the top. Is that a turkey bone you made the rod out of .your calls look nice.

#15 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,949 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 12:54 PM

I am going to sell thenm. The calls posted above are spoken for but I can make more, the striker is made from a piece of wood I had left over( I think maple). I am finishing one up for my dad this afternoon and will post some pictures of that one I think you will like it. I can also make it from the wood of your choice, if you like a particular species.

#16 turkeyman85

turkeyman85

Juan Galindo- Last Light Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts
  • Interests:Deer hunting, turkey hunting, carving turkey calls.
    Juan Galindo- Last Light taxidermy

Posted 20 January 2011 - 04:34 PM

Jaw if you need some what coaching on making a box call full bodied or peiced let me know, I got a few under my belt. And you should make scratch box calls way easy and cheap to make. I can make about 25 of them in a day or so. Hit me up when you have time,i know your busy with kitchens lol

#17 dangerranger

dangerranger

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts
  • Interests:I am a shooter first and then a hunter. I shoot competitively, most recently in the American Single Shot Association. I have also shot Cowboy action, Silhoettes,etc.. I like to build guns as a hobby.

Posted 12 February 2011 - 05:33 PM

Hey Jawbreaker, the shotgun shell calls, are they closed reed? and how easy are they to learn? and how much? I have a neibor kid whos comming over to help me out, and that might make a nice thank you gift for a young guy who wants to get into coyote hunting. please send me a Pm with more info. thanks DR

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users