• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Tradhistorian

Tradhistorian

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
  • Interests:Hiking, Backpacking, Fishing, Spearfishing, scuba diving, free diving, archery, small game.

Posted 26 September 2010 - 02:22 PM

I am slowly getting my gear together and am looking at Camo. I figured who better to ask about camo then the people who live in the state I will be hunting. I am looking at Digital BDUs because I have worn other BDUs before when I was younger and found them comfortable and tough. I see most hunters wearing pattern camos but that seems a little more area specific to me.What do you all use? Why do you prefer it to the other?

#2 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,061 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 02:25 PM

I really like Natural gear myself because it works in most areas that I hunt from Hawaii to southern California desert to upper elevation in pine forest. Plus it is relatively inexpensive.

#3 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 26 September 2010 - 02:40 PM

Especially for So Cal deserts, you can't beat Natural Gear. As a bonus, the more it fades when you wash it, the better it blends in.

#4 Tradhistorian

Tradhistorian

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
  • Interests:Hiking, Backpacking, Fishing, Spearfishing, scuba diving, free diving, archery, small game.

Posted 26 September 2010 - 08:34 PM

thanks guys i will look into them

#5 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,947 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 07:19 PM

Don't get hung up on camo pattern, the game doesn't care if it's mossy oak, natural gear or BDUs. If it breaks up your outline then it will work, it is more important not to move while on stand.

#6 CHIN SQUIRREL

CHIN SQUIRREL

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Interests:Coyote hunting, trout fishing, geocaching, and exploring.

Posted 27 September 2010 - 08:15 PM

http://www.californi...d...817&hl=camo
I'd rather be fishing with my son.

#7 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 03:47 AM

While it's true that you can take game without camo, why not have clothes that you 1.-you don't mind getting dirty or bloody, and 2.-are usually more comfortable in than Levis and a T-shirt? Another great option for our So Cal deserts is light brown Khaki pants and a similar colored shirt. I think of camo as more of a tool. We could all learn to use open sights and make distress sounds with our mouths, but why not use tools that help us out with our imperfections, including camo? No, it won't bring the dogs in to you, but yes, it will allow you a slight more margin of error should you accidentally move a little. I myself am no statue with all these aches and pains, and I'm willing to bet I'm not the only one. Just don't let it keep you up at night picking a pattern. Brown desert = brown pattern (like Natural Gear). Green mountains or forest = green pattern (like Mossy Oak). Keep it simple. Whatever you do go with, good luck and good hunting.

#8 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts
  • Interests:God, family & country. Predator hunting, shooting, reloading.

Posted 28 September 2010 - 07:06 AM

I wear shorts & a t-shirt. On stand, I wear a super-light ghillie suit. It works great and is very comfortable. It is perfect for desert hunting and if the wind is right, animals can be right next to you and never notice you. I keep it in an airtight bag with some sage brush and break it out on hunts. It works well for me.
"Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room." Winston Churchill

#9 Yodel Dog

Yodel Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Interests:Guns and hunting, fishing when I can.

Posted 28 September 2010 - 08:18 AM

No, it won't bring the dogs in to you, but yes, it will allow you a slight more margin of error should you accidentally move a little.

Yup. Movement is bad.

#10 375ranger

375ranger

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Interests:Varmint hunting, ATV's, Fishing

Posted 28 September 2010 - 10:33 AM

I don't dedicate myself to 1 particular pattern. I'll mix it up. digi pants and mossy oak shirt. Anything to break up your outline. I like a lightweight ghillie also, if it's not too hot.

#11 Portagee_Shooter

Portagee_Shooter

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 02:07 PM

Don't get hung up on camo pattern, the game doesn't care if it's mossy oak, natural gear or BDUs. If it breaks up your outline then it will work, it is more important not to move while on stand.

+1
Q: "What do you hunt with that?" A: "Name it"-Rambo

#12 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,947 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 07:09 PM

Bisley,I never said don't wear it, I usually wear camoflage, I said don't get hung up on the pattern.

#13 goosebrown

goosebrown

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  • Interests:Ceramics. WEB programming. Varmint hunting and possibly pig hunting.

Posted 30 September 2010 - 03:57 AM

Asked before, but one more time. Why not blaze orange. I am a lot more scared of being shot than missing a shot.Noobie here and can get camo if that is what's best.
Keep your family close... and armed.Matt Brown

#14 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,947 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 01:02 PM

You should wear orange when hunting where there is a possibility of being in the same area as other hunters. I used to bow hunt big game before I got into predator hunting, and still do but not as much, when there was no rifle season I would not wear orange. If you hunt during a rifle season or in an area where people are hunting upland game etc then I would definately wear orange. As for predator hunting, if you think there is a chance of people hunting or shooting in the area then wear your orange to and from the stand and just have your camoflage on while calling, a hat is all you need and is easy to remove quickly with minimal moement.REMEMBER, there are people out there that have no common sence and shouldn't even own a gun, just somethin to think about.

#15 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 08:28 PM

Bisley,I never said don't wear it, I usually wear camoflage, I said don't get hung up on the pattern.

Was nothing rhetorical meant, sorry if it sounded so. Was simply stating why I use it myself. You are right though, K.I.S.S. theory works for most things in life, don't it?

#16 coyotebait

coyotebait

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:shooting coyotes of course

Posted 29 October 2010 - 09:51 PM

got 4 coyotes out the bathroom window,When I camoed the house , I got the lick and stick from 3 different companies .But now I hate driving buy the house all the time.

#17 sixgun

sixgun

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 30 October 2010 - 10:54 AM

that's some really good advice from jaw breaker, with so many companies putting out the latest and greatest camo patterns each year, it gets confusing on which camo pattern to buy or wear. i have found some really great hunting clothes at thrift stores (good will - arc thrift) lots of people try hunting and find out it's just not for them and when they started out they got all caught up in buying stuff to go hunting, when they quit the sport the clothes get donated and you can pick up some great stuff for pennies on the dollar - but if you just have to buy new at the retail level, check the clearance racks, found some nice camo there as well :)
Every boy should have two things: a dog, and a mother willing to let him have one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users