9 replies to this topic

#1 tony

tony

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 03:41 PM

so i was talking to a buddy and he told me i should get 5.56/.223 because i would be able to use both rounds.so my question is if i get the 5.56/.223 possibly the RRA varmint A4 20inch would i lose accuracy when shooting .223 rounds?

#2 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,190 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, PCP Airguns, Flying (home builts)

Posted 23 September 2010 - 06:40 PM

I picked up a basic 5.56 DPMS Sportical recently as well that is my first black rifle and other than a trigger job (2.5 lbs) it is stock. I am shooting some old reloads that I shortened for the magazines. I am getting about 1-1/4" groups at 100 yds with the stock 16" barrel. While it is no precision benchrest or even long range varmint gun I think the groups are respectable for coyote shots out to maybe 250 yds despite some velocity loss. Although it is mainly just a house gun I plan on getting a different upper for longer range shooting if it makes sense. Yours was the first question I had. Also, how do you get around the shortened OAL required by the magazines for tuning accuracy? What kind of groups can you produce with a good 20" barrel?

#3 tony

tony

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 07:49 PM

ya im just gonna order the .223 barrel and i figure if i want the 5.56 i can always get one later, two pins to swap the uppers is a beautiful thing.

#4 Baxter

Baxter

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 08:33 PM

The chamber is what is different. I don't think you will see any difference. With my 556 upper and 223 rounds squeeks explode at 150+yds

#5 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,949 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 08:31 PM

I have a wild upper and it shoots great don't over thing you build the upper will probably out shoot you, I know mine out shoots me.

#6 tony

tony

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 09:48 PM

ive been learning so much about AR's in the last few weeks.So much stuff i dont know but im happy im getting all the info i can and hope it makes me a better shoot to.i have a 1 9 twist so il be shooting 50 to 70 grain bullets.any suggestion on what brand,grn bullet would be helpful.ide like to shoot what i plan on hunting with to prob yotes and bobcats.thanks for all your help guys.

#7 tchjts1

tchjts1

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 11:00 PM

I was out sighting in my rifles today. The shooter next to me was shooting .223 (Same as my AR) and we got to talking about ammo. He said he was really liking Fiocchi V-Max. Said he gets it from Cabela's web site and it is relatively cheap. You pay $5 shipping, so probably worth it if you got a quantity of it.Here's a link to the Fiocchi ammo there: http://tinyurl.com/2wm7ur9Jeff

#8 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,949 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 08:09 AM

I am shooting some federal HPs that I get from wallmart when I go to Utah to visit my buddy out there. It's $80 for a box of 200 and I bought it just for plinking but it shoots so well that it's all I use now.

#9 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,190 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, PCP Airguns, Flying (home builts)

Posted 26 September 2010 - 09:04 AM

So is the main reason for a 20" barrel just a little more velocity because I don't see a real accuracy difference?

#10 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts
  • Interests:God, family & country. Predator hunting, shooting, reloading.

Posted 27 September 2010 - 04:24 AM

Barrel length does not necessarily influence accuracy. However, it most definitely is a factor regarding velocity. My 16" barreled 6.5 Grendel built on an AR chassis is very accurate. Same for a 223 upper. You will lose some velocity with a shorter barrel but a quality 16" barrel should still be a shooter. The "heavy" barrel vs. the stock tube argument is another topic. One of my buddies shoots a heavy barreled 20" RRA upper and I am shooting their standard 20" coyote upper. They are both very accurate but mine is a heck of a lot lighter. The heavy barreled AR is a pain to lug in the field.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users