• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Jason

Jason

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, camping, scuba diving, American Revolution living history, fishing, ham radio.

Posted 19 September 2006 - 10:05 AM

Well it finally got here. But I got home so late from work I didn't get to try it out on anyone other than my for the amusement of my children who want me to put it in the yard for Halloween.Here is a list of what I got with the unit:207 - Coyote Locator209 - Coyote Pup Distress210 - Coyote Death Cry211 - Interrogation Howl212 - Coyote Male Challenge214 - Coyote & Rabbit215 - Coyote & Fawn216 - Coyote Pup Distress #2217 - Coyote Pup Frenzy218 - Bill Austin's Ki-Yi219 - Coyote Threat Bark HowlL00 - Lightning JackL01 - Dying JackL02 - Lil' JackL50 - Scream'n RabbitL51 - Big Rabbit Distress233 - Jackrabbit Distress234 - Aggressive Jackrabbit236 - Jackrabbit Squall237 - Cottontail Distress #1238 - Cottontail Distress #2354 - DSG Cottontail Distress256 - Deer Distress259 - Fawn Distress257 - Calf Bawl 269 - Magpies291 - Woodpecker Distress380 - Aggressive Bobcat270 - Crow Fight260 - Elk Bull Bugling261 - Elk Cow Chirps400 - Satellite Bull BuglingAny tips or tricks that you more experienced guys can share to this Foxpro newbie would be greatly appreciated.Jason

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,656 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 19 September 2006 - 10:18 AM

Practice with it first. Get to know the remote it takes a little getting used to. You have to wakeup the remote before sending a command. When you're out start out with the sound low and work up. A lot of people start out to loud. I like to work the sound up and then back down toward the end of the set. That is unless something comes in quick. ;) I think learning and using the remote is a newcomers biggest problem. They get flustered when they see a coyote and can't get the unit to mute or lower as they get excited. Practice changing calls too. Then have fun you made a great choice of an electronic caller, enjoy. :lol:

#3 Jason

Jason

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, camping, scuba diving, American Revolution living history, fishing, ham radio.

Posted 19 September 2006 - 10:40 AM

Thanks. I did notice the remote goes to sleep and it was a bit fustrating at first. I will definitely practice before heading out for the real thing. One other question. How long on average do regular batteries last in this thing?Jason

#4 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,656 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 10:50 AM

That's difficult to answer because it depends on use and volume used at and so on. It's best to just carry extra batteries but they last quite a long time. You will never run them down in one day of average use unless you go away and forget it. Also make sure to get the caller at least 20 to 30 yards away form you too. No use in having a remote if you don't move it away. That's what's the best thing about electronic callers. The animal is looking at or for the caller and not you.

#5 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 11:09 AM

Congrats. You're going to love the Ligtning Jack.

#6 Jason

Jason

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 01:57 PM

I've heard that one's a winner.One other question. Which speaker do most people use. The instructions said to stick mainly with the big horn speaker. Does anyone have a preference or get more success doing one thing over another?Jason

#7 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 02:06 PM

Haver you played the speakers one at a time yet to see which one sounds best?

#8 Jason

Jason

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 02:25 PM

I have on some of the sounds. So far the horn speaker seems to be the one that sounds best to me. But I'm no coyote! :lol: Jason

#9 Soreloser

Soreloser

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts
  • Interests:Anything Archery and of course my 22-250 vs. coyotes..

Posted 19 September 2006 - 04:07 PM

Jason for most of the distress calls I only use the front speaker. Some of the lower pitched sounds like deer grunts and such you want to use the back speaker. Think of it like front=treble and back=bass and you'll get along just fine. If you are using it for crows, geese and the like then you want the best quality possible so you would use both speakers. Just remember that if you are using both speakers you are using more battery.Mike Dillon and Byron South gave me some pretty good scoop on the FX3 while we were at Bass Pro, so don't go thinking I came up with all that on my own. I'm not smart enough for that.

#10 Bozsik

Bozsik

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts
  • Interests:Having fun with my Wife and Kids, Hunting, Camping, Wildlife Photography, Woodworking, and Illustration.

Posted 19 September 2006 - 07:23 PM

Just remember not to use it on geese in CA. :lol: db

#11 Jason

Jason

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 07:45 AM

No worries, I know that is a no no. That and the only geese I seem to ever see in California are at the park or golf course. They kind of frown on me hunting in both places.Jason

#12 Craig J

Craig J

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 09:49 PM

And that my friend is why they made air guns. Thanksgiving is right around the corner. It whats for dinner. :lol: Do you use 9 iron or the .177. Just kidding folks

#13 Jason

Jason

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 07:58 AM

That air rifle fits so easy in my golf bag. The camo makes me stand out a bit too much though.As a kid I used to go with my dad to a golf course near Coalinga called Povadero or some such name. I remember a guy used to go around the golf course shooting the gophers and ground squirrels. I thought that looked like way more fun than chasing that little white ball around while being careful not to step on a rattle snake!Jason

#14 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,656 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 08:10 AM

It used to be called Polvadero Community Golf Course. But the name has changed to Lonesome Dove Golf Course (public). :rolleyes:

#15 Andrew

Andrew

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 10:01 PM

And that my friend is why they made air guns. Thanksgiving is right around the corner. It whats for dinner. :lol: Do you use 9 iron or the .177. Just kidding folks

LOL!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users