8 replies to this topic

#1 tchjts1

tchjts1

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 08:52 PM

Actually I got 2 new guns today. My Savage .17 HMR and the .223/5.56 ARThis is the 20" Bushmaster upper with the AeroPrecision lower, Hogue grip, Young Manufacturing chrome bolt carrier, MagPul adjustable stock and I will be putting in a Timney trigger when they get them in.My only issue with it is getting my fingers on the charging handle. That hunting scope is pretty much in the way. I can slide it forward a bit more, but I still don't think it is going to be enough to clear the handle. The only way I can pull the charging handle is by pulling the left side with one finger, instead of using 2 fingers on it. I can easily see a sore finger when doing (lots of) varmint shooting with it. Any ideas for a workaround on this?Saturday is range day for the sight-in. Woohoo.Posted Image

#2 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,064 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 09:57 PM

you could get a cantilevered scope mount. I picked up the RRA for cheap and it places the scope perfectly for me.http://www.rockriver...category_id=385

#3 autocrosser78

autocrosser78

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Shooting, and everything gun related.

Posted 23 September 2010 - 04:25 AM

A badger Tactical latch should do the trick. Or one of the other many extended latches.

#4 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,173 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, PCP Airguns, Flying (home builts)

Posted 23 September 2010 - 05:02 AM

I recently has a trigger job/spring replacement done on my DPMS at http://www.triggerwork.net/. You just ship him the parts and I got it back in less than a week. "2.5lbs is $59 (new JP match spring set installed; hammer tail removed ("speed hammer") included in the price." Bill Springfield, a gun smith in Colorado Springs, did excellent work. I am new to black rifles but the AR guys at my range sure like it and it gave Bill some more business.Trigger job informationhttp://www.triggerwork.net/ar15s.html

I'm an airgunholic

#5 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts
  • Interests:God, family & country. Predator hunting, shooting, reloading.

Posted 23 September 2010 - 06:14 AM

Ditto on the Badger Tac latch!
"Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room." Winston Churchill

#6 tchjts1

tchjts1

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 06:30 AM

A badger Tactical latch should do the trick. Or one of the other many extended latches.

Excellent solution. Thank you!

#7 tchjts1

tchjts1

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 10:19 AM

On the Badger charging handle extension, I see there is the larger original, and the 2nd gen that has a lower profile.Has anyone tried both that has an opinion on the differences? I think the larger one would make it easier to one-hand the charging handle, but that off-black color doesn't thrill me.Posted ImagePosted Image

#8 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts
  • Interests:God, family & country. Predator hunting, shooting, reloading.

Posted 23 September 2010 - 10:24 AM

I have the original on both my 223 AR and my 6.5 Grendel. It works fine for me.
"Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room." Winston Churchill

#9 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,064 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 06:40 PM

Just remember that depending on how you sling you rifle the latch can dig into you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users