4 replies to this topic

#1 mike0909

mike0909

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 02:40 PM

Does any one know if the .17 HMR will ever be heavier then 20 grains? Do you think that they could make one around 30 grains or something along those line?

#2 Yodel Dog

Yodel Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Interests:Guns and hunting, fishing when I can.

Posted 22 September 2010 - 04:18 PM

I would almost doubt it. 25gr is on the heavier side for even the centerfires. Velocity is one of the selling points for the .17HMR and the heavier bullets defeats that goal. If you are looking at the heavier bullets, consider the .22mag, 30gr is on the lighter side for it.

#3 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,030 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 22 September 2010 - 08:33 PM

I doubt they'll ever go heavier. Velocity would drop off, toss in a longer length bullet, and now you start having to deal with possible stabilization problems and customer complaints. I think all the gun manufacturers learned a valuable lesson years ago when the whole .244 rem. ordeal happened.
Sharps, the rifle that made the west safe for Winchester!

Real tractors have two cylinders and hand clutches.

My rifle is mine, it isn't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like.

#4 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,082 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 08:05 PM

The 20 gr are not bad for it.I put down cattle with a shot to the head with them.If they made them in a heavier grain then it would just be a 22 mag.

#5 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,651 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 03 October 2010 - 12:25 AM

I know its not a rim fire but if you want somthing just abit bigger and still fast theres the 204. And they shoot like lazers.
You can hop but you can't hide. Yahi Bowmen. Its not how far you can shoot but how close to the game you get when you shoot. Sights we don't need any sights. Why waist time reloading when I can be making arrows.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users