#1 mtn dog

mtn dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting.
    Other interests:
    My family, writing, photography, 2nd Amendment.
    Looking forward to meeting as many of you as possible.

Posted 21 September 2010 - 03:40 PM

Has anybody found a rifle sling system they really like? It's not unusual for me to hike a mile or more from my vehicle to spots where I intend to hunt, then more hiking between stands. I wear a pack with padded shoulder straps. The rifle/shotgun slings are just traditional 2-point slings. Unlike some of you, I no longer employ equipment porters or gun-bearers to assist on my treks.Usually I carry my rifle or shotgun "American Carry" (muzzle up, slung over strong shoulder). The sling starts out resting atop the shoulder strap of my pack. I can't feel it through the pack strap so, unless I use one hand to hold onto the sling, it will gradually creep off till I suddenly feel it about to drop off my shoulder. "African Carry" (muzzle down, slung over support shoulder) is pretty much the same story, different side. To make it a little more irritating, I use a Camelbak hydration system in my pack so there's the flippin' drinking tube getting in the way of things, too. Binoculars aren't a problem because they ride in a chest harness. I don't want to add velcro or anything that sticks my rifle sling to the top surface my pack strap. The ripping noise of velcro ain't cutting it for me! Likewise, I've avoided those packs with a sleeve for containing the rifle. I always want to be able to bring the gun up to shooting position fast and quiet if a target of opportunity shows up. So most of the time, I just keep repositioning the sling or end up carrying it in my hand(s). I figure it's an annoyance that probably every hiking hunter deals with... or is it? There must be some good ideas to improve on what I'm trying to describe. What's the latest from our military members for hauling a day's worth of gear and keeping a weapon ready when needed?

#2 .22guy

.22guy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 953 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 03:46 PM

Tagged for details!

#3 Yodel Dog

Yodel Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Interests:Guns and hunting, fishing when I can.

Posted 21 September 2010 - 03:51 PM

I use the Butler Creek neoprene sling and like it well. Consider sewing a large button on top of the shoulder area of your shirt or jacket, this will keep the sling from sliding off. Cheap and permanent and laundry proof. The older style narrow slings would stay in place because they would "cut" into the shoulder. Today's modern wide slings, while much more comfortable, have a tendency to slide.

#4 havoc

havoc

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Interests:small game hunting, hiking, mountain biking, amateur radio

Posted 21 September 2010 - 04:33 PM

I have the same problem, I hope you get some good feedback.

#5 D-Man

D-Man

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 04:50 PM

I use the Butler Creek neoprene sling. Then I sewed a quick release clip to the top and bottom of the sling. That way it snaps quickly to my pack in a cross body fashion in front while attached to my pack straps. Then when I need it, I have it my hands in a matter of seconds ready to go. Most of the guys that I hunt with like the setup and some have copied it. At some point I will take photos and post them if people wish to see it.Darren

#6 peeker seeker

peeker seeker

25-06 shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts
  • Interests:Grand kids, My dogs, My girls the rabbits and hens Hunting & fishing

Posted 21 September 2010 - 08:06 PM

WE wish to see it. Please.

#7 mtn dog

mtn dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts
    Other interests:

Posted 21 September 2010 - 08:11 PM

Ditto, D-man. It sounds promising.

#8 Pogo

Pogo

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 05:56 AM

I use this product. I'm on crutches so while I don't walk very far (one reason I coyote hunt more now...) keeping a gun in a sling is a major PIA when your hands are tied up walking. The guy who owns this outfit actually came up to me at a gun show where I had just bought a rifle, and was having a hard time carrying it even with a sling. He told me to try his product and if I didn't like it, send it back to him.I sent him the $50 instead. Keeps the rifle right where it should be, and I only use the belt clip. Even stays in place while you hop or crawl under a fence. The only thing I don't like is it is in the way everytime you get in the pickup, but sliding it off to one side takes 10 seconds and isn't that big of a deal if you don't drive a lot anyway.I highly reccommend it. http://www.gunslingercorral.com/

#9 mtn dog

mtn dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts
    Other interests:

Posted 22 September 2010 - 09:27 AM

Thanks, Pogo. I'll check it out.

#10 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,804 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 22 September 2010 - 10:19 AM

Thats pretty slick.

#11 D-Man

D-Man

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 02:55 PM

Ok, pictures below:DarrenAttached File  1.jpg   13.88KB   25 downloadsAttached File  2.jpg   21.84KB   27 downloadsAttached File  3.jpg   22.46KB   26 downloadsAttached File  4.jpg   23.03KB   29 downloads

#12 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,066 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 04:04 PM

My biggest issue isn't carrying the rifle but carrying the rifle and a handgun on my right side without them clanking together. And shooting with my pack on is also very different then when shooting without it on. I use a neoprene sling with some rubber nonslip bumps on it to keep it in place. I think it is butler creek.

#13 mtn dog

mtn dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts
    Other interests:

Posted 22 September 2010 - 05:00 PM

That's probably the main reason some use the "African Carry" method to carry the rifle on the support side, away from the pistol. This video shows it both ways:

#14 mtn dog

mtn dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts
    Other interests:

Posted 22 September 2010 - 05:03 PM

I appreciate the effort in getting the pictures posted. How about one more showing you wearing it the way it all goes together. I'm having some trouble visualizing it from the photos of your rig on the floor.Thanks.

#15 fakawee

fakawee

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Interests:4Wheeling, Hunting, Target Shooting, Fishing, Camping, Kayaking and Glassing the countryside.

Posted 22 September 2010 - 07:55 PM

My AR's get carried in the front with Magpul tactical slings or Viking slings. My bolt guns have the standard rifle slings but when used with my backpack, I secure the sling with a nylon police belt support strap that snaps in place-no velcro-no noise. I sling the rifle over the backpack strap while wearing it of course, then thread the police belt strap under both backpack strap/rifle sling then snap it closed. Works for me anyhow.

#16 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 22 September 2010 - 08:21 PM

Mtndog, just sew a big button on the top of your pack strap. It's cheap and it'll keep that sling from sliding off your shoulder.

My biggest issue isn't carrying the rifle but carrying the rifle and a handgun on my right side without them clanking together.....

Carry in the cross draw position and you wont have that problem. I went that way years ago and now I carry like that even if I'm not packing a rifle. I really like that you can draw with either hand and getting in and out of the truck is alot easier too.

#17 mtn dog

mtn dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts
    Other interests:

Posted 22 September 2010 - 09:31 PM

I can't think of a more economical solution than a big button. If you watched Pogo's Gunslingercorral.com video, you probably saw their demo of a guy jumping on a trampoline and the rifle staying in place - no hands. A big button wouldn't allow that but, on the other hand, I can't remember the last time I saw a 4-legged coyote in a gymnasium. Crossdraw carry has very interesting pros & cons. I respect them all - as long as the shooter has practiced enough to be proficient and safe. All of my training and muscle memory has me more comfortable sticking with strong-side carry. Personally, I opted for that way back when I wasn't given a choice in the matter. Sergeants and range masters get fussy about things like that, right? Today I appreciate the idea of drawing "into" my target instead of "across" it. If I fire too soon or too late, I will probably still hit my attacker, albeit in the groin or neck. (Works for me!) Drawing in a horizontal sweep (crossdraw) has the muzzle passing across a narrower kill zone. Fortunately for me, I'm left-handed and wear my pistol on the left. However, being right-eye dominant, I shoot long guns as a right-hander. So slinging my rifle on my right shoulder does not have it knocking against my pistol.

#18 D-Man

D-Man

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 07:05 AM

I tried to get one of me wearing it, but it wouldn't come out worth a darn. My rifle barrel is up by my right shoulder and the buttstock is down by my left hip. That way it doesn't bang into anything, I can carry my pistol in either a shoulder holster or on my right hip. To disconnect I just reach up and unclip the barrel clip, then the buttstock clip and the rifle is pointed down range and ready to go in seconds.Darren

#19 TonyS

TonyS

Dog's driver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 830 posts
  • Interests:Birds, deer, predators

Posted 23 September 2010 - 11:52 AM

When faced with the same problem (keeping the rifle on my shoulder with a pack) I take the strap that holds my straps that go over my shoulders together (the one that clasps on your chest) and put the sling for my rifle under it. That way I don't drop the rifle unknowingly. You can't swing the rifle up quick but you don't drop it and lose your zero on your sights.

#20 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
  • Interests:Hunting....Predators, Varmints and Upland Game but would like to try larger game.
    Computers....It's what i do for a living and sometimes for fun.
    Movies
    Spending time with the Family

Posted 23 September 2010 - 12:23 PM

I have seen a similar belt hook like what Pogo linked. It was used with an AR that had a single point sling setup. For a righthanded person, the hook would be on the left side of your belt and the barrel would be in the hook. I think a combination of what Pogo listed and a large button on the shoulder of what you are wearing should work with a standard sling.Wonder how hard it would be to make your own hook. :signlol2iu:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users