9 replies to this topic

#1 imasam

imasam

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 04:45 PM

Can anyone help me.... I will be going deer hunting.. and i will be taking my electronic call to give the coyotes a shot as well...I have been looking for the Calif reg which says that electronic calls cannot be used when deer hunting.. I haven't found it yet.. All i find is reference to nongame animals and that electronic calls may be used to take crows coyotes.... etc... But no direct reference to Big Game..You can't hunt from your vehicle.. or the road..If i leave the electronic call in the vehicle while deer hunting am i legal.. Or if i leave my deer tag in the vehicle when in the field for yotes.. am i legal.. Afterwards' if i have a tagged deer in the vehicle and the electronic call am i in trouble..It's not clear.. and i can't find the title 14 reg... Does anyone know where Chapter 14 code to look??Thanks.

#2 D-Man

D-Man

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 04:50 PM

Do some searching on here and you will find the answer to your question. No electronic calls allowed for big game animals is what the regs say.Darren

#3 imasam

imasam

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 04:58 PM

Thanks, Darren ... i've been looking in the fish and game regs and in the internet.. for hours .... without any success.. I was hoping somone might save me more time.. I like reading the actual reg....I've looked thru the forums before but didn't recall any actual reg being cited...

#4 ratassassin

ratassassin

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,719 posts
  • Interests:Handloading, hunting, target shooting.

Posted 20 September 2010 - 05:26 PM

Good question. You got me curious. Turns out it's not in the regulations on the DFG's website. It's a statute that's part of the California Fish & Game Code. Section 3012 of the California Fish & Game Code states: "3012. It is unlawful to use any recorded or electrically amplified bird or mammal calls or sounds, or recorded or electrically amplified imitations of bird or mammal calls or sounds, to assist in taking any bird or mammal, except nongame birds and nongame mammals as permitted by regulations of the commission."This general prohibition would cover deer. Here's the link.http://www.leginfo.c...;file=3000-3012

#5 Karl

Karl

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 05:58 PM

If you are hunting coyotes then use your call, if you are hunting deer leave it in the truck.For good measure I think you should delete any calls that can be construed as "deer calls".Good luck and don't leave deer in your truck. Get him hanging in a cooler, then coyote hunt.

#6 imasam

imasam

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 06:08 PM

Hey, thanks guys.. been looking all over for the reg.... It's a shame that we need to go to two places to get all the info.... Seems like it should all be in the Dept of fish and game reg.. I'll have to read . .... and see if possession of the call in the vehicle is a problem... I have no problem with legal take.. it's staying out of trouble that is difficult... I guess i better say no trouble after i get a deer..... I haven't been out in the field for a while.. Good thing i like to walk... do 6 and even 12 on some days... Been retired... so i walk...and fish .... Guilty until proven innocent.... when you have a gun...

#7 imasam

imasam

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 06:13 PM

it's a shame when you gotta drive so far to go shooting or hunting ... Living i So. Cal sucks hunting wise.....Been fishing out on the channel islands alot... so i don't get the hebe jebes, from sitting around.. I'm gonna plan some trips to Texas or Kansas and spend some money.....why not...

#8 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,814 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 20 September 2010 - 06:22 PM

You know, the easy way around the issue is leave your e-caller at home and take some mouth calls. They are perfectly legal to use and you won't get in trouble. And remember, people have killed a lot of coyotes with out e-callers. Yea, I know, some folks think they have to have the e-caller to call in animals, but it just isn't so! Take the mouth calls, feel comfortable as to the deer hunting, and have some fun. Good luck too on both kinds of hunts! And if you don't have any hand calls, give me a shout and we can take care of that issue real quick.

#9 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,870 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting ,and hog hunting with my dogs.

Posted 20 September 2010 - 07:28 PM

hard to beat the hand -calls. when I have a smart coyote thats what I count on. :roflmao3[1]:

#10 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,839 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 21 September 2010 - 08:25 AM

Whats a E caller Whats the limit on Es :smiley-funny-post-sign: . Get a good fawn call and hunt deer and yotes at the same time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users