Photo

Economy scope--Bushnell Sportsman or Center Point AR22 series?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Holag

Holag

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:Snowboarding, backpacking, Jeeps, fishing...oh yeah, and hunting!

Posted 19 September 2010 - 06:26 PM

I'm getting ready for my first deer hunting season and funds are running low for equipment. I tried to sight in my Sako Forester .308 carbine with Mannlicher stock the other day, and after each shot the old 4x32 scope that came with it would go off center (the bullet would move up and to the right every time). I picked up two scopes in my price range at wallyworld and plan to return at least one, a Bushnell Sportsman 4-12x40 model 720412c for $55 and a Center Point 3-9x32 AR22 series for the same price. The Center Point has flip-open covers, red/green mil-dot, 1/4" moa, 50 yard parallax setting, and CLAIMS to handle up to a .416 Rigby despite being advertised as great .22lr scope. Are either of these scopes worth the money? I don't need awesome performance, I plan to zero it in at 100 yards and doubt I will be making any shots over 200 yards. I just really want a scope that will keep its zero after several shots from the .308. I will be going up to the B zone here in CA, probably in the Trinity Alps or the Six Rivers National Forest. I leave a week from today (Sunday) for my hunting trip, and my options are to keep one of these two scopes or return them both and either buy another for a similar price or save for a better scope, and then use my Winchester model 94 30-30 with iron sights this time (I can get ~4" groups at 100 yards from a bench). What is the terrain like in the Trinity Alps--would I likely be needing to make shots over 100 yards? I am very familiar with the Sierras but have only been to the B-zone areas a few times for car camping.

#2 Holag

Holag

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:Snowboarding, backpacking, Jeeps, fishing...oh yeah, and hunting!

Posted 20 September 2010 - 09:04 AM

It can just be so tempting to cut corners sometimes. I must admit I would feel kinda silly putting a $55 scope on this rifle; I splurged and bought a slightly used Redfield Revolution 3-9x40 on ebay with flip up covers and leupold mounts. What I really want is a scope that I won't ever have to worry about and will hold zero on a high recoil rifle, and from I've read the new Redfield scopes fit the bill. Lets hope it gets here in time to sight it in for the hunt, otherwise i'll be taking the 30-30 with me and saving the .308 for next time.

#3 handgun

handgun

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Interests:Guns and Dogs

Posted 20 September 2010 - 09:19 AM

Holag - I agree w/ Karl, I just put that Hawke scope on my 30-30 and it works great. Not to mention great customer service and personal attention. :rolleyes:

#4 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts
  • Interests:God, family & country. Predator hunting, shooting, reloading.

Posted 20 September 2010 - 10:15 AM

Holag...I wish you had talked to me first. I could have saved you some bucks and sold you an excellent quality Hawke scope for your .308. I hope the Redfield meets your requirements and performs to your satisfaction. However, next time, try a Hawke. You will be impressed with the quality and performance for the dollars spent. And....thanks to Handgun and Karl. I love satisfied customers.
"Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room." Winston Churchill

#5 .22guy

.22guy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 11:55 AM

Red, what the eye relief like on your Hawke scopes? I have a Bushnell 4200 6-24 and the eye relief is terrible. Very small area where I can have full field of vision. It's driving me crazy.

#6 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts
  • Interests:God, family & country. Predator hunting, shooting, reloading.

Posted 20 September 2010 - 01:56 PM

Check out the Hawke Sidewinder Tactical Specs Chart here in the Scope and Optics Forum. All the eye relief figures are listed. If you remember, I sold my Bushnell 4200 6-24 scope and mounted a Hawke on my Grendel. I have been very happy with it.
"Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room." Winston Churchill

#7 Karl

Karl

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 602 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 05:41 PM

It can just be so tempting to cut corners sometimes. I must admit I would feel kinda silly putting a $55 scope on this rifle; I splurged and bought a slightly used Redfield Revolution 3-9x40 on ebay with flip up covers and leupold mounts. What I really want is a scope that I won't ever have to worry about and will hold zero on a high recoil rifle, and from I've read the new Redfield scopes fit the bill. Lets hope it gets here in time to sight it in for the hunt, otherwise i'll be taking the 30-30 with me and saving the .308 for next time.

To be honest, when I bought the Hawke I have now, the 3x9x50, I just thought that for the price I couldn't go wrong for my 8mm mauser. It shoots like a rainbow so I didn't need much. For the last 10 months it has been on my 22-250. It took 6 rounds to put it 1" high at 100 yds. I have not made one adjustment and it still shoots 1" high at 100 yds. Soon I will have enough saved and will be buying a new Hawke for the 22-250 and the 3X9X50 will go to the mauser. They are a quality optic and are well worth the price. :roflmao3[1]: If you want I can buy from Red jack up the price and sell to you so you can say I put a $$$scope on my rifle. :roflmao3[1]:
Karl

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users