• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Ed Lacy

Ed Lacy

Predator

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Interests:Family, hunting, fishing, motorcycles, reloading.

Posted 14 September 2010 - 03:00 PM

Would like to see what the consensus from the group is on an XD-45. I have an SA 1911-A1, but kinda bulky for a carry gun. What do you guys think of the XD? Thinking more of the reliablity factor than anything else. And please, don't advise "Glock". Thanks for your time. Ed

#2 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,798 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 14 September 2010 - 04:54 PM

Ed, if you want reliablity, a gun that will go bang every time, get a revolver. I know, a lot of guys will say, but it only holds 6. Well my every day carry piece only holds 5, but then I don't plan on getting into a shoot out with a bunch of bad guys. Five, with a speed loader, is just fine. All semi's are prone to failuire way, way more often than a revolver. I want my gun to go bang when I pull the trigger, and not have to worry about racking another in. What about a bad primer? I just pull the trigger again, but with a semi you must rack the action. Yea, the bad guy is going to be standing still while you do that.
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#3 Bronco

Bronco

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts
  • Interests:Hunting i.e. deer, varmints, yotes. Target Shooting, Trap Shooting.

Posted 14 September 2010 - 05:16 PM

Ed, I have an XD-45 which I've had for several years now. Never experienced any failures no matter what ammo I fed it. Wore it every day that I worked at TRAP and didn't think twice about if it was going to fail. Yeah, Braz has a point regarding revolvers, they are just about foolproof. BobPS no Glocks in my firearm collection. Wonder why?
Posted ImagePosted ImageNRA Member

#4 homemade

homemade

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 09:42 AM

I have an XD 45 and 9 and love them both have carried both of them on my CCW and would recommend them to anyone.

#5 Jeff

Jeff

SacramentoSkullWorks

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 11:05 AM

XD45 and Sub XD40. No failures in either, any ammo. The 45 goes with me anywhere I can take it, including falling in the river. Fires everytime. No Glocks in my safe.
Sacramento Skull Works ...on Facebook!
Using Dermestid beetles to produce museum quality skulls for your trophy collection.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

#6 Ed Lacy

Ed Lacy

Predator

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 10:49 PM

Ed, if you want reliablity, a gun that will go back every time, get a revolver. I know, a lot of guys will say, but it only holds 6. Well my every day carry piece only holds 5, but then I don't plan on getting into a shoot out with a bunch of bad guys. Five, with a speed loader, is just fine. All semi's are prone to failuire way, way more often than a revolver. I want my gun to go bang when I pull the trigger, and not have to worry about racking another in. What about a bad primer? I just pull the trigger again, but with a semi you must rack the action. Yea, the bad guy is going to be standing still while you do that.

You're right Braz, but still like the auto loaders better. I've heard nothing but good about the XD and while I like the SA 1911, it's heavier and fussier about what you feed it. Unlike the XD which will take about anything you feed it without a failure. Thanks to Bronco, homemade and Jeff for their opinions as well. Gonna have to start looking. Thanks again guys. Ed

#7 Bronco

Bronco

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts
  • Interests:Hunting i.e. deer, varmints, yotes. Target Shooting, Trap Shooting.

Posted 04 October 2010 - 10:06 AM

Ed, be sure to check out the prices over at Tracy Rifle and Pistol. I know Mike holds his prices down and not to many shops match his prices. Bob
Posted ImagePosted ImageNRA Member

#8 microtus

microtus

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • Interests:About average for everybody else in here.

Posted 04 October 2010 - 07:22 PM

I have an xd-45 with arond 2-3k rounds through it. A few stove pipes and fail to feed on the first time at the range and never an issue since. I like the gun and carry it when legal ;)I also have a Ruger Blackhawk .45 colt with about the same number of rounds through it. I had it lock up on me while shooting some cowboy loads. It would have made one helll of a club if needed.
Watching the government rape the 4th to pillage the 2nd.

#9 CaseyU

CaseyU

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, being outdoors, hanging with my family and friends

Posted 04 October 2010 - 08:19 PM

funny you asked, because i ordered one three days ago. My fello fire fighter has one and let me put a hundred or so rounds through it... holy SH**. it was amazing. Crisp, Cleah, and Reliable. Don't get me wrong a revolver will handle anything. And don't count on six my girl friends dad has seven shot 357 mag. It's bad to the bone. But so is the xd!! don't dwell anymore. you won't regret it.

#10 Ed Lacy

Ed Lacy

Predator

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 10:20 PM

Two more endorsements, great. Thanks. Ed

#11 fakawee

fakawee

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Interests:4Wheeling, Hunting, Target Shooting, Fishing, Camping, Kayaking and Glassing the countryside.

Posted 07 October 2010 - 09:19 PM

Ed, I have two XD45's. One a service model and the other a tactical model (5" barrel). I love them both equally till I got to shoot my brother's XDM45. He's buying me one for Christmas but it will have to stay at his house in Nevada since we can't legally own one in Comifornia. The match grade barrel and the overall feel of the XDM45 is sweet! You won't go wrong with the XD family. Get one!
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. Mark Twain

#12 savageshooter

savageshooter

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • Interests:Hunting

Posted 08 October 2010 - 12:52 AM

Maybe look into HK USP 45 fullsize if you are looking at 45 plastic pistols. I love them and have 2. Go bang each time with no failures. Plenty of aftermarket stuff too like holsters and barrels. Kind of pricy is the only drawback. Similar hold as the 1911 if you are used to that grip angle it will be an easy transition.

#13 kzink

kzink

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 10:34 PM

i have a xd40 and i love it a few buddies of mine have glocks and swear by them but i still love my springfield its almost indestructible

#14 sixgun

sixgun

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 08:42 PM

Would like to see what the consensus from the group is on an XD-45. I have an SA 1911-A1, but kinda bulky for a carry gun. What do you guys think of the XD? Thinking more of the reliablity factor than anything else. And please, don't advise "Glock". Thanks for your time. Ed

if you have to have a semi-auto just get a glock and get over it :smiley_green_with_envy: but everday carry the revolver makes good on reliabilty that's reliable, .357 Magnum or .44 Special, it will finish any confrontation with the first shot
Every boy should have two things: a dog, and a mother willing to let him have one.

#15 packhorse9

packhorse9

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • Interests:pigs, turkey,varmints, 4 wheeling, motorcycles, classic cars. target shooting,

Posted 06 November 2010 - 08:20 AM

I own a XD subcompact 40 cal never had any problems, it is my carry pistol also own a glock and it also never has any failures, I carry the XD because of size, the glock stays next to my bed my walther 40 is also a great pistol if I had to chose 1 in a gun fight it would be the glock, Dave

#16 autocrosser78

autocrosser78

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Shooting, and everything gun related.

Posted 08 November 2010 - 07:51 AM

I think the weight of the 1911 is more an issue than it being bulky. With some slim grips and an aluminum alloy frame the only disadvantage is capacity.

#17 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,173 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, PCP Airguns, Flying (home builts)

Posted 08 November 2010 - 12:12 PM

My CCW is now my CZ 2075 Rami 9mm but I would really like the XD 45 for another gun in the arsenal. I think revolvers are very reliable but there have been some reports of indexing issues with some new SW 642s. I just sold mine but for a different reason. I never had a problem with it.

I'm an airgunholic

#18 Mick17

Mick17

Varmint Hunter

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Interests:I love shooting all types of guns and hunting. I shoot and reload for my shotgun, my .45, and my .223. I love deer hunting ,but there aren't very many deer these days. I really enjoy Coyote hunting. It's very exciting calling in a wild animal. I also try to practice with my .45's as much as I can. I am a member of the NRA and the CRPA.

Posted 27 December 2010 - 01:21 PM

Ed---My bro-in-law and nephew both tested the XD and the S&W, M&P side by side at a range. They said that both guns were pretty equal, but they chose the XD due to some of the extra features it has on it. Personally, I'm a S&W guy and also have a 1911 and a M&P. I carry either one at various times depending on what clothing I'm wearing. And sorry, I won't tell anyone to get a Glock! Braz is also right about the revolvers. When I can save up enough $, I hope to add another revolver to my collection. My M&P has been flawless since I bought it last year!!
"Life's tough-It's even tougher if your stupid"--John Wayne

#19 PBM

PBM

Squirrel Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Cycle riding-got a Vstar 1100. My wife says I like to remodel our house.

Posted 27 December 2010 - 03:14 PM

I too have an XD45. Never had a failure. Love it. I use it as a crossdraw for my CCW. Glock was too bulky for me.

#20 Heywood

Heywood

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 08:03 AM

Hi Ed, what did you decide? I see you orig. posted back in Sept.On your orig. comment on bulk, I don't see any gains by going to a dbl stack config from a single. The service model is just as bulky, just a bit shorter in the barrel. However it will be lighter and that will feel better. I was carrying a Gov't size 1911 as my EDC (that's Every Day Carry for Braz :welcomeani: ) for a while but it just got too heavy. My Glock 23, while thicker, feels so much better as it's lighter and a bit smaller. Your holster and belt play a large role in how comfortable it will feel. That said I do have an Service mdl XD-9 but I'd rather carry my 1911.

#21 Ed Lacy

Ed Lacy

Predator

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 12:28 PM

Ed---My bro-in-law and nephew both tested the XD and the S&W, M&P side by side at a range. They said that both guns were pretty equal, but they chose the XD due to some of the extra features it has on it. Personally, I'm a S&W guy and also have a 1911 and a M&P. I carry either one at various times depending on what clothing I'm wearing. And sorry, I won't tell anyone to get a Glock! Braz is also right about the revolvers. When I can save up enough $, I hope to add another revolver to my collection. My M&P has been flawless since I bought it last year!!

I tried an S&W the same time I shot an XD the first time, and found the trigger as well as the grip on the SA more to my liking. Just like a Chevy vs Ford. To each his own and what he shoots the best with.

I too have an XD45. Never had a failure. Love it. I use it as a crossdraw for my CCW. Glock was too bulky for me.

The only ammo my XD didn't care like was SWC. It shoots HP just fine and that's what I use in it for a house gun. And bulk was another thing I didn't care about with the Glock.

Hi Ed, what did you decide? I see you orig. posted back in Sept.On your orig. comment on bulk, I don't see any gains by going to a dbl stack config from a single. The service model is just as bulky, just a bit shorter in the barrel. However it will be lighter and that will feel better. I was carrying a Gov't size 1911 as my EDC (that's Every Day Carry for Braz :drool: ) for a while but it just got too heavy. My Glock 23, while thicker, feels so much better as it's lighter and a bit smaller. Your holster and belt play a large role in how comfortable it will feel. That said I do have an Service mdl XD-9 but I'd rather carry my 1911.

I like the Service model, but for carry, I have an XD45c that gets out of the holding cell Friday.Didn't have a problem with the 4" barrel, but the longer grip on the Service printed too much.The Compact will be my carry gun in a Crossbreed Super tuck.I agree with the weight problem with the 1911. Just too heavy. Kinda drug my drawers down on the right side.And to my surprise, I shoot the XD better than I do the 1911. The 1911 is up for sale as a consequence.It's a nice gun, adjustable trigger, beveled mag well, Bomar sights, I just don't shoot it as well as I do the XD.Thanks to all for the comments. I appreciate to feedback.Ed

#22 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,798 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 28 December 2010 - 02:46 PM

Where did you post the 1911 up for sale? Folks here may be interested.
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users