11 replies to this topic

#1 tchjts1

tchjts1

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 10:08 PM

Howdy folks. New to the forum. Getting (back) into varmint shooting and have a Savage .17 HMR and Savage .204 sitting in gun jail.I am also building out a .223 on the AR platform. I went with the Aero Precision lower and selected (With the help of TDS guns in Rocklin) the Bushmaster Predator 20" upper. I have also gone with a Timney trigger with 3LB pull and a chrome bolt carrier by Young.After some research on the Bushmaster uppers, I found they make a 24" Varminter with stainless steel barrel. Since my main targets are going to be ground squirrels/prairie dogs with possibility of some predator shooting, do you think I should get away from the 20" barrel and go with the 24" ?This will be my first AR... so go easy one me. :)I also have not yet decided on what scope to go with on this one. What is a good choice for this in the $300-400 range?Thanks -Jeff

#2 Red Dog

Red Dog

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 03:56 PM

Go with a 20inch heavy barrell. Stay away from the bull barrells. They are way to heavy. My Stag 20 inch Heavy barrell shoots nice 1 hole groups.

#3 Bronco

Bronco

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts
  • Interests:Hunting i.e. deer, varmints, yotes. Target Shooting, Trap Shooting.

Posted 14 September 2010 - 04:57 PM

Go with a 20inch heavy barrell. Stay away from the bull barrells. They are way to heavy. My Stag 20 inch Heavy barrell shoots nice 1 hole groups.

I have to agree with Red Dog here unless you are going to take a stand and shoot from it. You will not like lugging the 24" BB rifle around. That being said I have a Stag 24" BB upper rifle which is great for targets well out past 300 yards shooting from a set location. I will not lug this beast around in the bush. For that I have gone with a 20" CMMG light barrel upper rifle. 24" BB RiflePosted Image20" CMMG Light Barrel RiflePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImageNRA Member

#4 Red Dog

Red Dog

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 06:33 PM

Hey Bronco, Is that a jack stand you're using to hold that baby up? :) Nice rifles though.

#5 Bronco

Bronco

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 07:14 PM

LOL, not like the ones at the ranges...............

#6 tchjts1

tchjts1

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 09:55 PM

Thanks for the input. I'll try out the 20" barrel and see how it goes. I also decided on the Vortex Viper 6.5 ~ 20x44 PA for the scope.

#7 tony

tony

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 06:01 PM

i figure i jump in because im thinking of getting this upper for hunting . http://www.midwayusa...ctnumber=173618 i also will be building my first ar and id like it to be accurate .would this work and any help appreciated

#8 Red Dog

Red Dog

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 06:30 PM

I would say it will be accurate but heavy. I wouldn't want to carry it around in the field for a day.

#9 Bronco

Bronco

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 08:05 PM

I don't care for the breakin process that DPMS suggests for all their barrels. I would go with a Stag or a Rock River Arms before going with a DPMS.

#10 rude robert

rude robert

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 01:17 AM

My dpms upper is very accurate.
Freedom isn't free, It's paid for in blood! How wonderful, how marvelous is my Saviors love is for Me. He said that it's finished, the debt has been paid for in full.

#11 CD3

CD3

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts
  • Interests:ANYTHING THAT GOES BANG.

Posted 17 September 2010 - 08:58 AM

Rock River Arms 18" Varmint A4 upper 1-8 twist. Really likes 65gr Sierra Game Kings.Attached File  1.jpg   20.3KB   26 downloads

#12 rdsii64

rdsii64

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 03:24 PM

I know this is an old thread and I'm sure the OP has long since decided what he wants. but I'm board can't shoot today. My choice would be the brand of your choice with a 20" national match barrel. its heavy enough to be stable and light enough to carry. My brand preference is Rock River Arms. your milage may vary

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users