2 replies to this topic

#1 Baxter

Baxter

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 10:39 AM

I have an Arisaka that was rechambered to 257 roberts and the barrel is still 6.5jap. It does shoot 257 worth a darn. So my question is can I just take a 257 case and load a 6.5 jap round into it and that should work good? Has anyone else had a similar deal? Thanks.

#2 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,056 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 12 September 2010 - 10:59 AM

Mauser at one time made a 6.5x57mm. It never got popular over here but it's pretty much a necked down 7x57mm case or a necked up .257 Roberts, whichever way you care to look at it. Hornady has published load data in their latest manual and the ballistics are pretty impressive. It's about like a 260 remington. There are quite a few similar 6.5 cal cartridges so it might be a good idea to have a chamber cast made just to be sure.
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#3 StoneTower

StoneTower

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • Interests:Pulling the trigger and setting the hook!!!

Posted 27 March 2011 - 11:08 PM

I have an Arisaka that was rechambered to 257 roberts and the barrel is still 6.5jap. It does shoot 257 worth a darn. So my question is can I just take a 257 case and load a 6.5 jap round into it and that should work good? Has anyone else had a similar deal? Thanks.

I know this is a very old thread but...many 6.5 Arisaka rifles were rechambered in 6.5/308 which they called "6.5 Souper" My father, now 86 years old, built several of these as the original rifles that came back after the war could be had for $2.00 to $5.00 dollars in the late 1940's and early 1950's. He still has one to this day. The "6.5 Souper" is the same basic cartridge as a modern 260 Remington.The recommendation to do a chamber cast is a good one. There were a lot of hacks out there that did all kinds of bad things to the cheap to purchase war trophies. Today modern medium quality rifles cost much less than good gunsmithing. The sporterized 6.5/308 that he has will shoot sub moa with quality bullets but the trigger and the bolt mounted safety are less than desirable. Timney does list a trigger for the rifle.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users