#1 Bennie

Bennie

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,902 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Shooting.

Posted 11 September 2010 - 01:26 PM

Went Shark Fishing yesterday in the SF Bay with a bunch of friends. Caught probably around a 100 sharks. Kept a few and turned a bunch loose. Here is the pictures.Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImageRaith with part of the days catch.Posted ImageMe with one of the many Leopards we caught.
Raith Heryford's Guide Service  Salmon, Trout & Steel Head | Striper, Sturgeon & Shad | Duck & Goose HuntingYuba /Sutter Northern CaliforniaCALL 530-870-2697 or emailQuit blowing on the Fur and get to the Hide.

#2 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 03:06 PM

You're bragging about all the leopord sharks and didn't even mention the 2 halibut? You can keep the sharks and I'll take those halibut.

#3 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,966 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 11 September 2010 - 04:47 PM

Yeah I've got to agree with Jawbreaker on the halibut. We used to go down there just for them and they are so good! The sharks are fun though.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#4 mac

mac

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,503 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 05:14 PM

Nice haul...weather has been great here in the bay area this weekend. looks like you had plenty of sun in the bay
Mac Daddy"Lock, Stock and Two Smokin' Barrels"

#5 Bennie

Bennie

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,902 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 07:56 PM

You guys are all right. The Halibut are definitely better eating in my books, and the water was flatter than I have ever seen it before.
Raith Heryford's Guide Service  Salmon, Trout & Steel Head | Striper, Sturgeon & Shad | Duck & Goose HuntingYuba /Sutter Northern CaliforniaCALL 530-870-2697 or emailQuit blowing on the Fur and get to the Hide.

#6 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,681 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 11 September 2010 - 08:01 PM

Looks like lots of fun.
You can hop but you can't hide. Yahi Bowmen. Its not how far you can shoot but how close to the game you get when you shoot. Sights we don't need any sights. Why waist time reloading when I can be making arrows.

#7 theseacow

theseacow

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • Interests:hunting big game, predators, birds and varmints. fishing.

Posted 11 September 2010 - 10:16 PM

ive caught a bunch of leopards, but never even close to that many in 1 outing. what setup/technique were you using?

#8 Bennie

Bennie

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,902 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 07:19 PM

We were anchored, using Live Sardines with a big 7 aught hook, with 12 to 16 oz sinker depending on the tide, hooked to a slider.

#9 HOG

HOG

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,388 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 05:29 AM

did you use any "hot bait"

#10 Switch

Switch

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts
  • Interests:My daughters tell me I'm like Dr. Doolittle because I talk to the animals...too bad they don't always like what I have to say.

Posted 13 September 2010 - 07:43 AM

Looks like you caught a few seven-gill sharks as well. did you toss those back or keep them?

#11 Portagee_Shooter

Portagee_Shooter

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 11:41 AM

Nice catch! I love leopard shark!!! Start at the tail and start making steaks all the way to the gills.....wife loves em too cuz they don't have bones.
Q: "What do you hunt with that?" A: "Name it"-Rambo

#12 AirHunter

AirHunter

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Interests:Fish, Riding/Training horses, Snowboarding,Camping, Hike, and anything outdoors.

Posted 16 September 2010 - 05:56 PM

Ive cought tons of leopards but always let them go heard thier meat tasted bad. I'm going to have to keep one next time.

#13 HOG

HOG

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,388 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 07:24 AM

After dispatching your shark with a club, GUT it ASAP. If not they pass wastes into the meat that will taint the flavor. At the same time open the stomach, look for partially digested midshipman. This is "hot bait". Use it to bait your hook, it's like shark candy.

#14 Bennie

Bennie

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,902 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 11:31 AM

The fishing was so fun in the Bay I could not stay away! Here is the fish to eat that you guys were talking about. 9/12/10Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#15 AirHunter

AirHunter

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Interests:Fish, Riding/Training horses, Snowboarding,Camping, Hike, and anything outdoors.

Posted 21 September 2010 - 02:15 PM

Beautiful buts you got there can I come over for dinner?

#16 Kephers

Kephers

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and Shooting

Posted 23 September 2010 - 04:10 PM

never went deep sea fishing. Would love to try it one day.
OORAH! SEMPER FI!
Call Me Keith!
1 Round Varmint War!

#17 Bennie

Bennie

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,902 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 08:36 AM

never went deep sea fishing. Would love to try it one day.

All of these fish were caught in or around the SF Bay. Raith and I met a guy, named James Smith, that runs a Charter Boat there called the California Dawn. We met him at the California Sportsman's Expo. His Booth was right next to Ray's and his cook kept hooking us up with lunch and dinner. We ended up becoming friend's. We go fishing with him and he goes fishing and hunting with us. The California Dawn is the only Charter Boat there that will Cook for you. When we go, we get a bunch of friends together and book the whole boat. I always go for the all you can eat deal that Tawny puts together. The food is great. I take a big ice chest full of nothing but drinks and ice and use it to take my fish home in. A trip like this will cost me about $175 for every person that I take. That is for fishing, gear, all the food I can eat, and Tips for the crew. That is about $100 for the fishing $10 for gear $25 for all the food I can eat and the rest of the $175 goes for getting my fish cleaned by the deck hand and tips. I have never had a bad trip on this Boat. James comes from a family of fisherman knows is stuff. I would highly recommend this for a trip to go on if you want to give it a try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users