23 replies to this topic

#1 tonyd

tonyd

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 10:16 AM

Draw Weight, What is everybody using?, I've been told that 50lb will kill most everything. Thoughts??????

#2 Baja_Traveler

Baja_Traveler

Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 11:46 AM

50 lb. WILL kill just about anything - given a well placed shot, and a sharp broadhead...I hunt deer with 50 lb limbs on my recurve, and a buddy of mine has taken 2 Oregon Elk with his 50 lb. recurve....

If you can get arrested for hunting or fishing without a license, but not for being in the country illegally,… you might live in a country founded by geniuses but run by idiots.

#3 Jason

Jason

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, camping, scuba diving, American Revolution living history, fishing, ham radio.

Posted 10 September 2010 - 12:35 PM

50lbs to 60lbs should be fine. My compound is set for 60lbs but I used to hunt at 50lbs. Native americans and other primitive cultures used bows of much less draw for millenia and also didn't have the arrow and broadhead technology we have today. The key no matter what your draw weight is to get accurate and make good shots.

#4 tonyd

tonyd

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 01:52 PM

Thanks guys I've got aroud 300 hundred to spend, been looking at some used ones without much luck. Came across this Bear set-up at BassPro, lower end model, but seems like a hell of a deal for $279What do you think??

Attached Files

• Attached File  bear.jpg   65.97KB   33 downloads

#5 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 10 September 2010 - 05:24 PM

That bow has a pretty short draw length. Be sure to get an idea of your draw length needs before you buy one. Most bow seasons are just about over anyway so just save for a little while longer and get something you really like. Once all the seasons are closed bows will go on sale too. Ted Nuggent shoots 50 pounds on pretty much all his bows with two blade broadheads.
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#6 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,780 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 11 September 2010 - 01:08 PM

I*m with Clamp . Save and get somthing better . Myself theres way better places to get a bow. Your bow needs to fit you . Go to a bow shop not a hard ware store. Theres a couple of good shops around you. Golden Arrow is close to you. In oakdale on yosemity.
You can hop but you can't hide. Yahi Bowmen. Its not how far you can shoot but how close to the game you get when you shoot. Sights we don't need any sights. Why waist time reloading when I can be making arrows.

#7 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

Tikka Shooter, and a bad shot at that.

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,027 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 01:58 PM

Ted Nuggent shoots 50 pounds on pretty much all his bows with two blade broadheads. And Uncle Ted knows how to Poach too! :signs1242cn:
Fathom the hypocrisy of a government that require every citizen to prove they are insured... but not everyone must prove they are a citizen.

#8 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,498 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 11 September 2010 - 04:50 PM

And Uncle Ted knows how to Poach too! :signs1242cn:

And I was going to get him to join here but he never will now. :drinks: :good:

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#9 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

Tikka Shooter, and a bad shot at that.

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,027 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 05:35 PM

<Giggle> Sorry John! lol
Fathom the hypocrisy of a government that require every citizen to prove they are insured... but not everyone must prove they are a citizen.

#10 airgunny

airgunny

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 08:58 PM

I knew this as a rule as I have a client who hunts elk in montana with 55lb.I only had a kiddy bow as a kid myself.that being said, what are the monster 140lb crossbows used for?grizzly??probably a dumb question. :roflmao3[1]:
weapons are nothing but tools to be used properly. like any other tool.

#11 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 11 September 2010 - 09:48 PM

Crossbows fling short, light weight bolts (arrows) so they have to jack up the poundage to get enough speed/energy in order to get good penetration. Kinda like a 100gr. .250 savage bullet vs. a 160gr. 30-30 winchester bullet. They'll both go thru a deer but the lighter bullet has to be pushed faster to get er done.
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#12 TonyS

TonyS

Dog's driver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • Interests:Birds, deer, predators

Posted 12 September 2010 - 09:48 AM

tonyd,While you are looking try shooting a Toxik. When I was looking I saw a lot of bows that were way out of my price range. But when I was at Bass Pro I asked to see a Martin and the salesman also brought me the Toxik. I shot the Martin first and it just didn't do it for me. When I drew the Toxik the salesman giggled and said "I knew that was going to happen". Try one.

#13 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,064 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 11:19 AM

Martin is a great bow and they are well priced I had a jaguar for years.

#14 bretmoua

bretmoua

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 06:39 PM

Ted Nuggent shoots 50 pounds on pretty much all his bows with two blade broadheads. And Uncle Ted knows how to Poach too! :signs1180lq:

LOL

#15 sagedog

sagedog

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 03:35 PM

I'm pretty sure that Bear is a youth model. Keep looking and you'll find a great deal. An old guy I know got a brand new Bear Truth 2 on ebay for a steal.
Press Alt+F4, it's AWESOME!

#16 weber

weber

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 12:34 PM

Unless your really familiar with compound bows and all the ins and outs of how it acts with certain components you need to go to a bow shop . It is amazing how much it is to setup/tune a bow properly . I have all the faith in the techs at my local archery shop . Also if you go in you might be suprised what quality used bows you can get for the price beacuse people always want the latest greatest and resell thiers . Get real lucky its ready to hunt and tuned .

#17 nomadsurfer7

nomadsurfer7

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 05:44 AM

I have been hunting with a bow for a long time and the draw weigh always gets blown out.I use a 50 lb hoyt dorado and feel confident on anything. in california leagaly on emust be able to cast an arrow 137 yards to hunt.

#18 Gapmaster

Gapmaster

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 11:57 AM

I been hunting with a bow most of my adult life. Women and men shoot 40 pound recurves every year and do well. I myself have hunted for years shooting 50 pounds and have shot right through several big game animals. Just make sure you use a fairly heavy arrow, say someplace around 500 / 550 grains and a good broadhead and you will do fine with a lower weight. It doesn't take much to cast an arrow the legal distance. Take your pick, it's like getting hit with a fast 17 rimfire or a slow 45/70. Slower, bigger, heavier means deeper and always wins out.
" When you have to shoot, "shoot", don't talk " [Tuco-The good, The bad and The Ugly]

#19 harv

harv

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 03:37 PM

trust me the best bow out there period.....PSE PSE PSE PSE PSE PSE....sprecifically PSE Bowmadness!! Check them out. I own 2 and the kick ass! Nothing better. Martin and Matthews are WAY OVERPRICED for decent quality. Bear...Fred Bear was killer but Bear bows suck. Hoyt...nice for a back-up. 50 lbs is all you need and stay away from mechanical broadheads (nothing more than a overpriced novelty, just a gimmick) Magnus Stingers are great! Good Luck!

#20 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,949 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 05:13 PM

Opinoins are great and PSE may be the bow for you but that is your opinion. By all means shoot a PSE and check it out, just make sure you shoot plenty of bows before you purchase one. Harv's PSE may be the cats meow to him but it may not have the right valley for you or the wrong let off etc... Take your time in choosing a bow and you will only spend the money once.

#21 novaman64

novaman64

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • Interests:motorcycles, shooting, hunting, muscle cars, snow skiing, wakeboarding, barefooting, camping, horses, livestock

Posted 11 October 2010 - 06:05 AM

Opinoins are great and PSE may be the bow for you but that is your opinion. By all means shoot a PSE and check it out, just make sure you shoot plenty of bows before you purchase one.

Ya, definitely shoot a bunch first. I took a un-supervised visit to Cabellas yesterday (bad idea).. Anyways I have been wanting a bow for a while and been shooting some of my friends, couple different model Matthews... Ended you shooting 4 different bows there (PSE (2 different models), Bear and Diamond), and a ton of arrows... Ended up shooting the best with a Bear Charge. Picked up the package for $400 (quiver, sights, level, stabilizer and all the other bells and whistles). Tried different draw lengths (he measured me, then we changed them a bunch) ended up at 27" and 60lbs. Got some gold tip arrows (they cut them down and got them all setup for me), a nice trigger release, field tips and string wax. Then after everything was set he helped me adjust my peep and pins and even gave me kinda brief tutorial on proper form and anchor points. Glad they spent the time with me, had I just picked up a bow off ebay like I was going to it probably never would have been setup for me properly! Needless to say I will be practicing on squirrels and ready for bow season next year!

#22 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,949 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 05:09 PM

I'm suprised he set your peep sight up when he did, if your groups move at all have him reset it for you after one or two hundred arrows. Most of the strings now don't have much creep but we used to have guys shoot a bunch of arrows before setting the peep.

#23 novaman64

novaman64

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • Interests:motorcycles, shooting, hunting, muscle cars, snow skiing, wakeboarding, barefooting, camping, horses, livestock

Posted 11 October 2010 - 07:34 PM

Ya, dont know. This is all new to me. He had me close my eyes, draw, then find my anchor points, then had me open my eyes, and then figured if it was, high, low or just rights...I did some archery when I was really little (7-8 yrs old) with my godfather. Other than thats its all new to me. I am enjoying it though, I can practice in the pastor without the neighbors getting upset (alot quieter than shooting)... I will take not that if my groups shift to fix the peep.

#24 tommybuilt

tommybuilt

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 07:40 PM

I'll bet that Bear Charge had the longest brace height of all the bows you shot at 7.75", and that's why you shot it the best. Long brace height = slower but more forgiving. Short brace height= faster and less forgiving. Your Bear is advertised at 305 feet per second with it's 7.75' brace height while the PSE Omen with it's 5.5" brace height is advertised at 366 feet per second. I'm sure there are alot more factors involved in the differences in feet per second, but brace height may be the biggest.My Mission X3 has a brace height of 7.125" I don't know what it's fps is and really don't care. I'll bet that PSE with it's short brace height will never be good for anything other than being one of the fastest bows ever made. If you don't know what brace height is, google it, tons of info about buying a new bow, and things you should consider before doing so. I bought my bow used and got lucky, because I knew nothing when I did.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users