5 replies to this topic

#1 zippy1970

zippy1970

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 05:48 PM

Can anyone tell me the real diffrences ? I see the 2 offers the " comfort tech " stock but what else really ? Thanx , Andy

#2 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 10 September 2010 - 05:44 PM

The original Super Black Eagle wasn't handling the pounding of the 3.5 inch shells so they tweaked it and made the Super Black Eagle II. The original was very nice looking. The new one, not so much.One of my uncles still shots an original SBE, feeds it nothing but 3.5 inch shells during the waterfowl season, and has never had a single problem. My other uncle and a guy I work with both say that at the duck clubs they belong to, the original SBE sold more Browning Golds and Winchester SX2's than SBE II's . :lol:
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#3 zippy1970

zippy1970

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 06:05 PM

Thanx for the reply Clampdaddy . I am suprised it took so long to get a response from the shotgunners . Was there anything else ? I probably will never put 3.5's in it . Mostly 2 3/4 or 3's . have never been water fowling . And I ask because I saw one for sale for not so much $$$ ( 7or800 ) it has synthetic stock . Andy

#4 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 11 September 2010 - 10:01 AM

Sorry it took so long for the reply. I know there are a few Benelli guys around here so I wanted to give them a chance to give you some first hand experience before I (a Browning guy) spoke up. The SBE has proven it's longevity with standard loads in Argentina so as long as it doesn't get a steady diet of 3.5s that SBE will probably last you forever. From what I've been told the main problem was that they were breaking that big spring in the bolt and I'd be willing to bet that by now someone makes an upgraded inertia spring for them that will fix that problem. They sure are one handsome auto. If Benelli would've made the changes they needed to make but kept the same look of the original SBE I'da bought one in a heartbeat.
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#5 zippy1970

zippy1970

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 01:02 PM

but would you buy one for 700. obo ??? Since your are a Browning man , what do you think of the BSS ? the local shithole ( my term for the store ) has a 12 & 20 . 12 800 @95% , 20 1000. @ 70 % what'ya think ? That 20 would round out my collection ( have 2 o/u and a semi ) but would love the 12 also . I have a o/u Andy

#6 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 10:06 PM

700 doesn't sound too bad if the gun is in nice shape but since there's an obo on there I'd try 600 first and see what the man says. Even at 700 that's about half the price of a SBEII. The BSS is a good quality double and those prices sound pretty good for the 12 but maybe a little steep for the 70% 20. The 20s always cost more but I'd have a hard time spending a thousand bucks for a 70% gun. They are made in Japan by Miroku and if choked properly many will handle steel shot. As long as you don't have any hang ups about Japanese products they are a well respected field gun that should serve you well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users