• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ronniebms

ronniebms

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Skateboarding...

Posted 06 September 2010 - 08:15 AM

Hello All,I'm Ron from Central Cali. I'm near several Shotgun / Archery only reserves. I'm thinking about modding a Gamo Shadow Express shotgun with a sight / scope and shooting 22 cal pellet. Does anyone have any thoughts on this gun? Is it worth messing with. The reserves are mostly empty except for duck, pheasant, and dove seasons. I Went to one yesterday for a hike and only saw 2 hunters. Regarding DFG. Will they consider this a shotgun? I'm paranoid because two Wardens may see it differently. I suppose I could email DFG and carry a copy of their answer. Shadow Express Shadow Express[Item# 61100695554]Air Shotgun/Air rifle CombinationTake care,Ron

#2 Heywood

Heywood

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 08:55 AM

Not sure I understand, you want to use an air rifle to shoot a pellet(not shotshell) in a shotgun / archery only reserves? Hahaha, no.

#3 Gapmaster

Gapmaster

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 10:38 AM

ronniebms, from what I have read the Gamo shotgun really doesn't have enough power to do anything accept hunt dragon flies maybe if you are using the shot shells. If you try to shoot a pellet with the smooth bore you won't really get much accuracy. No more than a crossman 760 anyway. All this trouble might be a loosing proposition for you. What are you wanting to hunt for? Knowing the DFG, I think a warden would make a call that this is a rifle, not a shotgun. No different than shooting a 22 long rifle bird shot round out of a rimfire. Good luck, Gapmaster
" When you have to shoot, "shoot", don't talk " [Tuco-The good, The bad and The Ugly]

#4 airgunny

airgunny

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 07:40 PM

dragonflies yes! nothing more.springer airshotguns are a novelty. the gamo's throw a 17 grain chargeof #12 "dust shot" at a whopping 650 fps.you might kill a field mouse at 10 feet.
weapons are nothing but tools to be used properly. like any other tool.

#5 mackeralboy

mackeralboy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts
  • Interests:Hunting anything above or below the water. Kayaking, Backpacking, Scuba, Surfing, anything outdoors.

Posted 06 September 2010 - 08:26 PM

Ronniebms, I agree with Airgunny. I will go one step further and say your better off selling the Gamo Shadow Express air/shotgun and using the money to put toward buying a decent shotgun like a Remington 870.

#6 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,396 posts
  • Interests:Bass fishing,Kayaking,Airgun hunting

Posted 06 September 2010 - 09:13 PM

Remington 870' Express on sale at Big Five: $279..either 12 or 20 gauge..28" barrel...I think..

#7 THE KNOT

THE KNOT

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 06:50 AM

first hand I've shot one and seen one shot about 20 times at a cardboard stop JMO save your cash go in a different direction they kill nothing according to my friend who hunted with one he's a dam good gamo smith also at my local shop cobra airguns here on LI .

#8 ronniebms

ronniebms

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Skateboarding...

Posted 07 September 2010 - 05:24 PM

Thanks for the replies guys, It looked like a novelty item, and I should have the remembered the "too good to be true rule"... I've got an 870 and an old compound bow so hunting the refuge isn't a problem, Just trying to figure air gun hunt close to home. Take Care,Ron

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users