• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 JakeKelley

JakeKelley

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Interests:I like to hunt ducks and upland birds, fish, backpack, and do archery.

Posted 04 September 2010 - 11:28 AM

I am looking for a 20 gauge shotgun. My price range is from 600 to 1300 dollars. I have looked at like 20 sites but just can't seem to find that right one. Please I need some suggestions on a good shotgun.
"Life is tough, Life is tougher when you are stupid""If you are going to go down..... go down with your guns blazing"

#2 Yodel Dog

Yodel Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Interests:Guns and hunting, fishing when I can.

Posted 04 September 2010 - 11:32 AM

What are you using it for and what are your likes/dislikes? No sense talking about riot guns if your interest is skeet.

#3 JakeKelley

JakeKelley

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Interests:I like to hunt ducks and upland birds, fish, backpack, and do archery.

Posted 04 September 2010 - 11:35 AM

I will be using it for skeet, chukar, and pheasant hunting with my dad. I am 14 so keep in mind that a 12 gauge would land me on my butt.
"Life is tough, Life is tougher when you are stupid""If you are going to go down..... go down with your guns blazing"

#4 X EAGLE 23 X

X EAGLE 23 X

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 11:58 AM

How tall are you? I'm asking because I have a Remington 870 with a short barrel that I love. I'm 5'2" and it works just fine for me, I use it for everything, from skeet to pheasant.

#5 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,152 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, PCP Airguns, Flying (home builts)

Posted 04 September 2010 - 12:00 PM

Sporting clays too? For semi-auto in that class and budget and available in 20 gauge my favorite that I actually own is the Beretta AL391. I have that and a short-barreled 11-87 Remington both in 12 gauge and the Remington is junk relatively speaking to the Beretta but I usually beat it up in the field more than the Beretta. Comes in camo. Here is an extensive review.http://www.shootingt...0505/index.htmlYou can get any of these in field grade in 20 gauge for under $1000 and i would rate them in this order as excellent bird guns and skeet and sporting clays.1. Franchi AL 48 2. Benelli Montefeltro 3. Beretta AL391

I'm an airgunholic

#6 Yodel Dog

Yodel Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Interests:Guns and hunting, fishing when I can.

Posted 04 September 2010 - 12:32 PM

Most of the current 20ga guns have a 3" chamber, I would want a 3". A 26" barrel on pumps and autos, maybe 28" on an O/U or SxS. Screw-in choke tubes are a plus.The "length of pull", (the distance from the trigger to the end of the stock), might be too long on the full/adult shotgun, or too short on the youth/compact model. When you shoulder the gun, you push it away from you a bit to clear the clothes, then pull it back into your cheek and shoulder. If the stock catches in the armpit, it's too long. You are 14 and still growing, in a few months or a year the "too long" stock may fit perfect. I prefer not to buy a first year production gun, they tend not to work as well, it usually takes a year or two to work out the bugs. Consider a good used shotgun, that can save you a few bucks.Picking a gun is personal, I really don't have a recommendation for you. Go to your local gun shops and handle a few. Some you won't like and some you will. The price range you mention should work well for a selection of makes and models. If you have a local skeet range, stop by and visit. Many times the shooters there will let try their gun, and sometimes there is a rack for "for sale" guns.Let us know what you find and the members here can give you their personal experiences on the different makes and models.

#7 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,030 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 04 September 2010 - 11:58 PM

Luckily you can do alot with your price range. I'd try to buy a fairly cheap remington or mossberg pump action 20 ga. and then save the rest or your budget for a nice 12 ga. when you think you can handle one.
Sharps, the rifle that made the west safe for Winchester!

Real tractors have two cylinders and hand clutches.

My rifle is mine, it isn't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like.

#8 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,649 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 05 September 2010 - 07:52 AM

What Clampdaddy said.
You can hop but you can't hide. Yahi Bowmen. Its not how far you can shoot but how close to the game you get when you shoot. Sights we don't need any sights. Why waist time reloading when I can be making arrows.

#9 Ed Lacy

Ed Lacy

Predator

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Interests:Family, hunting, fishing, motorcycles, reloading.

Posted 05 September 2010 - 01:51 PM

One more time for what Clampdaddy said.

#10 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 06:58 PM

do yourself a favor and get a 12 guage. You are 14 now and next year you'll be 15 and most likely be wanting to upgrade to a 12 guage. My 7 year old shoots my 12 guage and I have to help him hold it up, he wouldn't be able to hunt with it yet but in a couple of years he'll be good to go. You can handle a 12 guage, JUST DEWIT.

#11 airgunny

airgunny

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 04:42 PM

what jawbreaker said. i was an average sized kid.i was on my dad's 870 wingmaster 12GA when i was 10and mom bought me my mossberg 500 12GA when i was 13.i've shot both 12 and 20, a 12 doesn't kick much harder than a 20.worst case you're only shooting light loads till you grow 3 more inches. :lol:
weapons are nothing but tools to be used properly. like any other tool.

#12 Troy08er

Troy08er

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 07:48 PM

What about the Benelli Nova 20 g. You can get it in 24 or 26 and it's light for a pump at 6.5 lbs.That's what I have been looking at for my next chukar gun.
I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

#13 nitis

nitis

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 04:17 PM

If your gunna shoot targets get a 12 ga I been shooting one since I first started hunting birds at 10 however I have several 12s for clay games but when I go hunting I grab my 20 ga 870 go figure

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users