#1 375ranger

375ranger

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Interests:Varmint hunting, ATV's, Fishing

Posted 04 September 2010 - 11:10 AM

Hey Guys, long time since I posted, but finally built my first AR. DD lower with CMMG SPR upper, 18" bbl, and a Bushy 4-12x40ao mounted to a RRA 1" high solid mount. Question is, should I use some sort of BUIS on the rail? I'm basically using this weapon for yote hunting, not combat, but what if? I also saw a micro style red dot mounted at 1:00 position next to a scope for close up shots. Looked kinda neat, I think the 3 gun fellas are using this set up. Any help, comments would be helpful.

#2 Yodel Dog

Yodel Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Interests:Guns and hunting, fishing when I can.

Posted 04 September 2010 - 11:44 AM

A low power scope in the 4x range works well on a dedicated coyote rifle. A BUIS is not really needed with quality optics when using quality rings and mounts. Everyone practices shooting at longer distances, few practice at close range. Use your rifle and practice, dry or real, at ranges from 10yds to 35yds etc. to get familiar with your rifle/scope/trigger combo.A lot of the AR stuff manufactured today is made just because someone will spend money buying it.Today's scopes/rings/mounts are of such quality that most firearm manufacturers quit putting iron sights on barrels.

#3 donkey12

donkey12

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 11:44 AM

If its just for yotes I wouldnt bother with iron sights. Leupold has a delta point which mounts at an angle for the close shots.

#4 Baxter

Baxter

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 12:34 PM

I don't have buis on mine, I am not going to Irag. If you ask the question on calguns the answer might be alittle different.

#5 Yodel Dog

Yodel Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Interests:Guns and hunting, fishing when I can.

Posted 04 September 2010 - 12:55 PM

If you ask the question on calguns the answer might be a little different.

Now that is an understatement! :wub:

#6 375ranger

375ranger

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 02:50 PM

True enough Baxter. I also don't want to add a bunch of unneeded weight to the gun either. I might eventually get a small dot to play around with, but you're right, my existing scope has the AO down to 10yds. Should be gtg. Thanks

#7 Heywood

Heywood

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 04:33 PM

I think the only time that would warrant having buis is when your primary optic is electronic, such as an EoTech. Otherwise there's little that can go wrong with a standard scope.

#8 rude robert

rude robert

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 05:00 AM

I like both, actually i have the front site and then my set up is the a4 type where the handle comes off and on. My scope is mounted on that. I can use both site set ups at the same time. But shooting those squirrels are fun with the scope that is for sure. I can see them fly

#9 Bronco

Bronco

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts
  • Interests:Hunting i.e. deer, varmints, yotes. Target Shooting, Trap Shooting.

Posted 06 September 2010 - 04:51 PM

I think the only time that would warrant having buis is when your primary optic is electronic, such as an EoTech. Otherwise there's little that can go wrong with a standard scope.

Heywood has nailed it. Not required unless you are using a electronic optic. Do not use with ACOGS either.

#10 375ranger

375ranger

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 10:25 AM

Thanks Everyone. I will spend my hard earned money on ammo instead. On a side note, I'm on vacation up here in northern BC Canada, a place called Pender Harbour. Beautiful is the only word to describe this place, but... talking guns with the locals, and even though I live in Cali, we have it soooo much better than they do. Most don't even know what an AR is. Thanks again, Scott

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users