16 replies to this topic

#1 justin_502

justin_502

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 10:45 AM

On sale at Costco for 579. http://reviews.costc...662/reviews.htm was thinking about grabbing one, if you guys think it is a decent safe.
If Your Gonna Be Dumb, You Gotta Be Tuff!

#2 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts
  • Interests:God, family & country. Predator hunting, shooting, reloading.

Posted 03 September 2010 - 12:09 PM

For the $$$, it's a very nice safe. Be sure to bolt it into the concrete floor.
"Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room." Winston Churchill

#3 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,481 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 03 September 2010 - 12:33 PM

And make sure to use a quality concrete anchor. I like and use these:http://www.williamsf...te_anchors.htmlThey are extremely strong and though no anchor is perfect they are the best I've found. As you know if someone wants into your safe they can and will get in. You are just attempting to slow them down or make them think twice about the time involved in cutting their way in vs going somewhere else. There are many things you can do to increase security of a safe but again it is just slowing someone down.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#4 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 03 September 2010 - 01:16 PM

Well, Justin, I'm not too sure just how good of a safe that one is. My cheapy "American Security" (of the 2 safes I have) is approx the same size, weight etc & appears(?) as good as this one? And it may be in the same price range today, if not less? I'm thinking less?I finally did it right and got a larger "LIBERTY" safe a few years ago, but is approx $1600 - $2000 today? IMHO, (after a lot of looking), there is few, if any, safe as good as Liberty, much less any better. I think mine weighs around 700 lbs?Also, while one has to take one or two bad reviews with a grain of salt or if their point was even valid for the new buyer, this Canon safe had more than enough bad reviews to make me very skeptical. But hey??HOWEVER, & after all that babbling, the good news is, how can one ever go wrong buying from Cosco? A BIG positive for sure! Perhaps a little more research is needed? Good Luck in your decisionFrank

#5 justin_502

justin_502

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 02:21 PM

Mabey I will try to find a nicer used one, I have around 12-13 rifles and shotguns, Not worth too much money but being handed down to me by my grandfather they are priceless and would never want to part with them.

#6 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,481 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 03 September 2010 - 02:34 PM

Hey it looks like a decent safe for the price and the warranty is better than some. It has some nice features too. That outlet box on the inside is a plus I've had to drill holes to install a Golden Rod and doing so can be a pain. It has some fire proofing so that's another plus. I just mentioned getting the good bolts above because if you can knock them loose two strong guys can easily put it on a furniture dolly and wheel it off. It's a nice first safe and you'll probably own another down the road.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#7 justin_502

justin_502

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 02:49 PM

Mabey grab this one and mount it in my closet in the bedroom, where it is not tempting anyone, and just bolt the Heck out of it. If I want to upgrade later could prolly sell it for 3-400 used. I got some guns stashed in my attic so no one will find them but its getting rather hot up there and im not sure how good that is for the guns.

#8 Yodel Dog

Yodel Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Interests:Guns and hunting, fishing when I can.

Posted 03 September 2010 - 04:32 PM

And make sure to use a quality concrete anchor.

Molten sulfur makes for an excellent anchor also. Old school, but solid.

#9 rude robert

rude robert

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 04:07 AM

Justin my friend has a gun safe that has a 2 hrs fire rating i am tryinig to remember which one. it is made by cannon but in america by the name starting with a p I believe. Also there are safes made here in s. cal that are what the police use. ill check into it,
Freedom isn't free, It's paid for in blood! How wonderful, how marvelous is my Saviors love is for Me. He said that it's finished, the debt has been paid for in full.

#10 rude robert

rude robert

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 04:11 AM

Patriot is what he has I just found it and he bought one that had dents and scratches for like 600$ look at patriot gun safes. If I could have talked my wife into it(never) I could have spent 300 or so more to get one of these safes. My browing has either 11/4 or 11/2 14 bars on the door and a 1200/1 hrs rating. not bad but you can get better, money was buring a hole in my wife's pocket lol, so i rushed into it. Well, my wife dont undestand the value so I did the best i can without causing a fight lol. :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:
Freedom isn't free, It's paid for in blood! How wonderful, how marvelous is my Saviors love is for Me. He said that it's finished, the debt has been paid for in full.

#11 andy1621

andy1621

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts
  • Interests:Retired-Catching up on life (Hunting, Rv'ing, Friends, Family & an occasional BEER!)

Posted 04 September 2010 - 09:34 PM

Justin, go larger if you can afford it; but don't sacrifice quality. Seems like most guys have noticed their safes seem to "shrink" over time.Liberty Safes in West Sac makes some good ones also and you might get a deal on a floor model (such as last year's or a "scratch & dent" model.) I saved big on one with chipped paint. And they delivered it.The Costco one should be fine, and if for some reason you're not happy with it, they have an excellent return policy.Good luck!

#12 homemade

homemade

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 04:20 PM

My friend told me if you live within 30 mins of a fire station you dont really need to pay for a fire safe unless your storing delicate paper in it and he builds safes for a living.yes I agree buy a bigger safe then you think you need because you will fill it up and need a bigger one sooner than you relize.

#13 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,798 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 14 September 2010 - 04:44 PM

I got this one for $800 when it was on sale. I love it. And Frank, it has GREAT reviews. :) Ask at TS when they are going on sale again.http://www.tractorsu...un-safe-3910204
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#14 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 16 September 2010 - 06:17 AM

LOL... I believe you, Braz, and good job :roflmao3[1]:

#15 justin_502

justin_502

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 07:24 AM

I got this one for $800 when it was on sale. I love it. And Frank, it has GREAT reviews. :signs165xk: Ask at TS when they are going on sale again.http://www.tractorsu...un-safe-3910204

Finally they are on sale again, the wide body gun safe reg. 999 on sale 699. http://www.tractorsu...un-safe-3910204And of course im broke now lol! Anyone wanna great deal on a 19ft boat?

#16 cptnmatt

cptnmatt

Varmint Hunter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • Interests:shooting, hunting, fishing

Posted 25 November 2010 - 12:28 PM

I agree with John, that a gun safe is just going to slow or deteer a thief. Given the time and tools anyone can get into a safe, even a cheap one from wal mart will slow them down ( a little). I have a Sturdy safe and swear by them, made in Fresno and they have a good web site with great info about safes in general, all that being said an safe is better than none, get the largest you can afford, anchor it as John said. Liberty, Cannon, Browning, Sturdy, spend the time, do the research and find the one you want. I can only speak for myself, I am NOT an expert on safes and think that alot of what is said here about safes is personal preferances, thats O.K., I think mine is the best brand out there...Matt

#17 homemade

homemade

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 10:28 AM

when you anchor the safe I like to drill all the way through the pad and install a long anchor.and sturdy is a great place I go by there every couple weeks for something or other for work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users