12 replies to this topic

#1 Elderberry

Elderberry

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 02:26 PM

Okay, so I have been gone a while. Was busy trying to hunt and work on my archery. Got stuck in a rut with a Georgia boy back home who ended up dumping me for a younger gal. Long story short, now that guy and his friends think they can squeeze me out of the archery/hunting arena by putting down women shooting with lightweight bows. My longbow is 37#. I plan on getting VERY close to a hog this year. But dont' feel like paying money for a guided hunt. Seems to be all anyone want's to do out here. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.By the way, how is everybody???El :signs1242cn:

#2 mac

mac

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,503 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 02:42 PM

Welcome back El...there are some public areas to hunt here in California, but they are far and few between - AND, they get hunted well. I would say the best choice by far is to look into Fort Hunter Liggett (FHL) http://www.liggett.a...sites/fishhunt/ -- annual fee is ~$100 for non-military. You have to really research the site and do your homework. The military opens certain training areas for hunting - sometimes the best areas are closed for military exercises. Once you apply for your permit and the 1st time you go to the Fort, yoou need to make sure that your vehicle registration is up to date, valid picture ID and updated vehicle insurance. AND most importantly your hunting license & tags are current.The one issue with FHL is that the hogs are "spooky" -- they get pressure. To be honest though, the best way to start is paying for access to private property or guide service.An alternative would be to go to Bryson Resort http://brysonresort.com/hunting.htmlThis place you can pay a trespass fee (no guiding) or a guide fee as well...Good Luck! Also look in the Big Game hog files for more info...
Mac Daddy"Lock, Stock and Two Smokin' Barrels"

#3 4RHUNTS

4RHUNTS

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts
  • Interests:Hunting for varmints, two and four legged varieties, deer, pigs, birds, reloading, and fishing.

Posted 30 August 2010 - 03:57 PM

Welcome back!!

#4 Elderberry

Elderberry

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 04:13 PM

Thanks Mac...it's looking like I'll have to pay to hunt......so hard out here in Cali!!Hey 4Rhunts good to be back!el

#5 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 06:55 PM

Check the regs, I think there is a minimum draw weight but don't remember what it is. With a 37# draw I would think twice about going after hogs, I'm not bashing you or anything but I have hunted with guys shooting 50# long bows and they had a hard time putting the bacon on the ground.

#6 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 07:04 PM

I just checked the regs and didn't find anything about draw weight but did find that the bow has to be able to cast a hunting arrow a minimum of 130 yrds horizontally. I still think 37# is a little light for hogs but if I remember right you are a pretty good shot so get close and be carefull, you'll get one just be patient and let him bleed out berofe you try and track him.

#7 nje

nje

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • Interests:family, friends,hunting, archery and BBQ.

Posted 30 August 2010 - 07:14 PM

in the right hands, a 50# longbow will put any big game animal down. 37# will put bacon on the menu in the right hands. my son has killed hogs with less.

#8 Portagee_Shooter

Portagee_Shooter

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 07:19 PM

Hey EB welcome back...i've been gone awhile myself. I'd take you to my buddy's ranch in Red Bluff but my wife frowns on it when I want to go away for a couple days with another woman :-0What has gotten me access to several places is talking about hunting every chance I get with just about everyone I meet. I always find a way to work it in. I've gotten access to a couple places for hogs and several more for squeeks and yotes. Good luck!
Q: "What do you hunt with that?" A: "Name it"-Rambo

#9 ratassassin

ratassassin

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,625 posts
  • Interests:Handloading, hunting, target shooting.

Posted 30 August 2010 - 07:36 PM

Hi, El. I don't know a flippin' thing about hunting hogs with a bow. Just wanted to welcome you back. Georgia boy doesn't sound too bright. Never make a woman mad who's a good shot with a bow. :rolleyes:

#10 Colin

Colin

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 10:26 PM

By any chance... is that Georgia boys nic-name Bacon? I bet that 37# bow could put him down!!!! Sorry to hear about the heartache, good luck with the hogs!!!

#11 Elderberry

Elderberry

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 07:00 AM

Thanks guys!!!!!Good advice and I plan on getting plenty close to the hog and a tree (to climb up)!!! :censored[1]: Yeah, this guy isn't too bright, but he shoots with a bow as well. I think he is with someone who doesn't shoot because she's (safer). :pirashoot: I am going to Gilroy (Cottonwood area) Monday, so hopefully I'll get one if the hogs haven't been hammered too much!My poundage I feel comfortable with and I know there have been kills made with lighter weight......Thanks again and hopefully I won't come back empty handed!!!Portagee....I think I can understand the wife's concern.. :signs1111cr: Thanks Ratassasin!!El

#12 mac

mac

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,503 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 07:52 AM

El, this time of year is hard to really stalk and track hogs, but still a good time to just get out and explore/scout areas to become more familar with. I find the best time to hunt hogs is late fall, through winter and into Spring. Primarily because of the ease to get on fresh tracks, especially during or after a good rain. Believe me, when you find fresh tracks you will also smell them if they're close by. Lastly, if you are successful, they can be the worse smelling things to clean for a first timer - if not worse than turkeys. Ive been hunting big game - deer & bear - for a long time, but the first time I opened a hog 10yrs ago I almost threw up in my mouth a little!Good luck!
Mac Daddy"Lock, Stock and Two Smokin' Barrels"

#13 Elderberry

Elderberry

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 01:54 PM

El, this time of year is hard to really stalk and track hogs, but still a good time to just get out and explore/scout areas to become more familar with. I find the best time to hunt hogs is late fall, through winter and into Spring. Primarily because of the ease to get on fresh tracks, especially during or after a good rain. Believe me, when you find fresh tracks you will also smell them if they're close by. Lastly, if you are successful, they can be the worse smelling things to clean for a first timer - if not worse than turkeys. Ive been hunting big game - deer & bear - for a long time, but the first time I opened a hog 10yrs ago I almost threw up in my mouth a little!Good luck!

Thanks for your help Mac!!! Sounds pretty disgusting the cleaning bit, I have heard tales of that yuck!!!!I am hoping to go in the next month here as well in Georgia soon, I'm living sort of between both states.....maybe I'll be more successful out there with a hog....we'll see.El

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users